5. Karma (Andrews/Blocker/Robertson, Jr./Lockett) 3:28
    6. Suite Syreeta
    [list:41cf282784](a) Piano Intro (Andrews) :55
    (b) The Beauty (Andrews) 3:05
    (c) The Creativity (Robertson, Jr./Bohanon/Brashear/Watts/Andrews) 2:35
    (d) A Leo (Andrews) 5:05
7. Amani (Andrews) 9:27[/list:u:41cf282784]
All arrangements by Reggie Andrews

Recorded at Total Experience Studios, Hollywood, California - Summer 1976, except "Amani", recorded May 1974.
Recording and Remix Engineer: F. Byron Clark
Additional Recording - Kendun Recorders, Burbank California, Geoff Sykes, Engineer
Mastering Engineer: Bernie Grundman at A&M Studios, Hollywood, California

Horizon Creative Director: John Snyder
Art Direction: Roland Young
Album Design: Chuck Beeson
Photography: Bruce Talamon
Backgrounds by Ed Simpson

Capt. Bacardi

Well, I haven't seen this LP since back when this one record store that I also briefly worked at was in business. Are the vocals all "background" or is there really some solo singing by the band members and by Syreeta Wright and Denise Williams?

And the cover does look like the kind of album that would have a song called "Kwanzaa" ("First Fruits"), doesn't it! :laugh:

Dave

...with a "better late than never" reply to our Last, Jazz AOTW...:cool:

This one got by me,too. In 1976 I had two young children in my life and renting a home for about 45% of my take home pay-an occasional dip into the 99 cent cutout racks was all I could do,so even my purchases were a bit dated then. A Google search brings up some activity of a 12" mix of "Funk De Mambo",which evidently was also covered by Willie Bobo during Blue Note's waning years as a jazz crossover label. Bohanon,Andrews, and Watts show up on the Bobo date. Evidently the acid jazz freaks in the UK have yet to discover the potential joys in this one. Now I'm intriqued. Mac

I also had let this slip by and didn't obtain until just a couple of months ago. Definitely worth getting if you're a horn fan! This is pretty much a commercial affair, with some light disco/heavy funk rhythms and quite danceable. But there's a lot of great horn work here as well. Trumpeter Oscar Brashear, trombonist George Bohanon and saxman Ernie Watts get in plenty of blowing space. "Kwanzaa" is a grooving samba with a searing solo by Brashear, as well as a nifty solo by Bohanon. "Amani" is an other gem, where everybody gets to shine. This whole albums reminds me of a lite-Tower of Power kind of outfit, with a bit of Earth, Wind & Fire thrown in. Too bad this album didn't get more notice.

BTW, Bohanon was on quite a few A&M albums, including the Alpert/Masekela session, while Brashear was with the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis band.

Capt. Bacardi

Dave said:
Are the vocals all "background" or is there really some solo singing by the band members and by Syreeta Wright and Denise Williams?

It's pretty much background vocals, although they have some chorus stuff going on as well. But no solo efforts vocally. Interestingly, "Suite Syreeta", which is dedicated to Syreeta Wright, has no vocals at all. Still worth getting, though. :thumbsup:

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom