Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Peggy Lee
PEGGY LEE SINGS THE CABARET SONGS OF LEIBER & STOLLER

A&M SP-4734

n61624j07dj.jpg

'CABARET SONGS' was a planned reissue and expansion of SP 4547 MIRRORS, with at least one bonus track, "Is That All There Is." There was an import CD reissue in 2005 (A&M B0004169).

The Peggy Lee discography link below contains detailed information about the project, including other prospective bonus cuts and session information:

http://www.peggyleediscography.com/LeeA-M.html

JB

I always thought of Peggy Lee as the artist least likely to be on A&M...but I guess she did kind of fit into their easy-listening repertoire. But to me she always seemed to be from a "bygone" era by the time A&M hit its stride.

"Peggy Lee Sings Lieber & Stoller" was a limited release by Hip-O Select (Universal) in the U.S. in 2005. Peter Stoller was chiefly responsible for the project and you can read his many comments about it on the Peggy Lee Bulletin Board at peggylee.com . The entire "Mirrors" recording has been exquisitely remixed as well as five L&S selections not on the original recording.

http://www.peggylee.com/new/0512_leiberstoller.html

While this is indeed the title in my list of albums, I'm not sure that description is correct. SP4734 comes before SP4745 and since 4745 is a double album I suspect 'expanded' was not an option, at least until the Hip-O Select release a few years back...

I can't imagine they'd pick a new number in the same series merely 11 digits away (as opposed with going with the 3500 series or new 6000 series which were largely being used for double LPs...

I think there may be a different story for 4734. In any event it was never released and the number was never used for another albu,m, so we'll likely never know. I'm not sure what the 'book of flaws' says about it...

--Mr Bill

Oops, I should have typed "4547," instead of "4745." Apologize for tempoary AOTW dislexia & will correct the original post.
MIRRORS was originally released in 1975, with the proposed reissue following in 1978.

JB

The best way to collect all of Peggy Lee's short-lived career at A&M certainly was all of Leiber & Stoller's material, which she sang, in this "catch-all set", on CD... (If only the technology existed then, or the non-LP '45's weren't so hard to find...!)

Despite "the bygone era" Peggy is from, she adapts to newer songs & sounds fairly well, & although it's hard for her to retain her native following, or recruit younger listeners, she does quite well on this set, in that she's fairly compromised, offering a bit of both eras...

A&M's Patti Page...! :D

Dave

Sweet!! I just found a traded-in copy of 'PEGGY LEE SINGS LEIBER & STOLLER' in the trade-in racks for $6.95 plus tax. It's the 2005 limited edition by Hip-O Select with 15 tracks, including all of 'MIRRORS' plus "Kansas City," "Don Juan," "I Ain't Here," "I'm a Woman" and "Is That All There Is?" . It's got a cardboard gatefold cover containing a booklet filled with extensive liner notes, photos and credits, including the history of each track.

This is certainly more affordable than A&M's reissue of MIRRORS. Copies of 'CD 5268' go for $25+ on Ebay and only contain one bonus track ("Is That All That There Is?"). This is one I've wanted to find for years, having been reluctant to spring for a pricey Japan import and also having made several unsuccessful auction bids.

In all the time I've been crusing the racks it's the first time I've run across this title. What people will trade in never ceases to amaze.

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom