AOTW: Quincy Jones - SMACKWATER JACK (SP-3037)

Captain Bacardi

Quincy Jones
SMACKWATER JACK

A&M SP-3037

sp3037.jpg

Released 1971
Peaked at #1 on Jazz Charts (1972), #56 on Pop Charts (1971)

Format: Vinyl/8-Track/Cassette/CD

Produced by Quincy Jones, Ray Brown and Phil Ramone

Songs:
  • 1. Smackwater Jack (Carole King/Gerry Goffin) - 3:23
    2. Cast Your Fate To The Wind (Vince Guaraldi) - 4:25
    3. Theme From "Ironside" (Quincy Jones) - 3:53
    4. What's Going On? (Marvin Gaye/Al Cleveland/Renaldo Benson) - 9:52
    5. Theme From "The Anderson Tapes" (Quincy Jones) - 5:16
    6. Brown Ballad (Ray Brown) - 4:18
    7. Hikky-Burr (Quincy Jones/Bill Cosby) - 5:03
    8. Guitar Blues Odyssey: From Roots To Fruits (Quincy Jones) - 6:38

All selections arranged and conducted by Quincy Jones, except "The Anderson Tapes" which was arranged by Quincy Jones and Marty Paich.

Musicians:
Jerome Richardson - Soprano Sax and Tenor Sax
Hubert Laws - Flutes and Tenor Sax
Pete Christlieb - Tenor Sax
Trumpets & Flugelhorns: Ernest Royal, Eugene "Snooky" Young, Marvin Stamm, Joe Newman, Buddy Childers, Freddie Hubbard
Trombones: Wayne Andre, Garnett Brown, Dick Hixson (bass), Alan Ralph (bass), Tony Studd (bass)
Guitars: Toots Thielemans (and Harmonica), Eric Gale, Jim Hall, Joe Beck, Arthur Adams, Freddie Robinson
Drums: Grady Tate, Paul Humphries
Percussion: Larry Bunker, George Devens
Keyboards: Bobby Scott, Bob James, Jackie Byard, Monty Alexander, Joe Sample, Jimmy Smith (organ), Dick Hyman
Moog Synthesizer: Paul Beaver, Edd Kalehoff
Bass: Ray Brown (string), Chuck Rainey (Fender), Bob Crenshaw (string), Carole Kaye (Fender)
Milt Jackson - Vibes
Harry Lookofsky - Violins
Vocal Groups: Valerie Simpson, Maretha Steward, Marilyn Jackson, Barbara Massey, Joshie Armstead
Bill Cosby - Vocal (7)

Recorded at A&R Studios, New York City
Recording Engineer: Phil Ramone
Assistant Engineers: John Curcio, Tommy Vicari and George Clabin

Creative Direction by Roland Young
Album Concept and Design by Craig Braun, Inc. Jackets Mf'd by Sound Packaging Corp.
Photography by Jim McCrary
Liner Notes by Ralph J. Gleason

Capt. Bacardi

I've always liked this pop/jazz entry from Quincy. For me the monster track remains "What's Going On" -- with solos by Toots Thielemans, Jim Hall, Hubert Laws , and others. Brown Ballad is gorgeous. The studio sound is tremendous , given that it was engineered by the legendary Phil Ramone, one of the few people who REALLY know how to record a big band.

The "genesis of the better Quincy Jones product"...

I enjoy this album a lot, from the title-track to the Bill Cosby vocal ad-lib's & obligatto in "Hicky Burr", to the jazzy song suite "Guitar Blues Odyssey (From Roots to Fruits)"...

Very listenable, thanks to much shorter tracks, more organized compositions, and at least a bit more energy & more focused contributions from the musicians...

More definitive of what Jones can do and paves the way towards albums of much better quality than what were merely just "honing his skills" on the previous two efforts for A&M...

Dave

rickster said:
I've always liked this pop/jazz entry from Quincy. For me the monster track remains "What's Going On" -- with solos by Toots Thielemans, Jim Hall, Hubert Laws , and others. record a big band.

Heard "What's Going On" about a month ago on Sirius/XM's Real Jazz. Had been a while. Great track!

Yeah, this is my favorite Q album on A&M. I like the wide variety of styles, and he has some of the top tier musicians of the day. I always liked this version of "What's Going On?" a little better than Marvin Gaye's - and I LOVED Marvin's version. I need to find this album on CD.

Capt. Bacardi

Like Capt B, this is my favorite of Q's A&M LPs... Not a bad track on the record, IMHO.

--Mr Bill

Back
Top Bottom