🎵 AotW AOTW: Quincy Jones - SMACKWATER JACK (SP-3037)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 1 14.3%

Votes: 4 57.1%

• * (Worst)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never Heard This Album

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Captain Bacardi

Quincy Jones
SMACKWATER JACK

A&M SP-3037

sp3037.jpg

Released 1971
Peaked at #1 on Jazz Charts (1972), #56 on Pop Charts (1971)

Format: Vinyl/8-Track/Cassette/CD

Produced by Quincy Jones, Ray Brown and Phil Ramone

Songs:
  • 1. Smackwater Jack (Carole King/Gerry Goffin) - 3:23
    2. Cast Your Fate To The Wind (Vince Guaraldi) - 4:25
    3. Theme From "Ironside" (Quincy Jones) - 3:53
    4. What's Going On? (Marvin Gaye/Al Cleveland/Renaldo Benson) - 9:52
    5. Theme From "The Anderson Tapes" (Quincy Jones) - 5:16
    6. Brown Ballad (Ray Brown) - 4:18
    7. Hikky-Burr (Quincy Jones/Bill Cosby) - 5:03
    8. Guitar Blues Odyssey: From Roots To Fruits (Quincy Jones) - 6:38

All selections arranged and conducted by Quincy Jones, except "The Anderson Tapes" which was arranged by Quincy Jones and Marty Paich.

Musicians:
Jerome Richardson - Soprano Sax and Tenor Sax
Hubert Laws - Flutes and Tenor Sax
Pete Christlieb - Tenor Sax
Trumpets & Flugelhorns: Ernest Royal, Eugene "Snooky" Young, Marvin Stamm, Joe Newman, Buddy Childers, Freddie Hubbard
Trombones: Wayne Andre, Garnett Brown, Dick Hixson (bass), Alan Ralph (bass), Tony Studd (bass)
Guitars: Toots Thielemans (and Harmonica), Eric Gale, Jim Hall, Joe Beck, Arthur Adams, Freddie Robinson
Drums: Grady Tate, Paul Humphries
Percussion: Larry Bunker, George Devens
Keyboards: Bobby Scott, Bob James, Jackie Byard, Monty Alexander, Joe Sample, Jimmy Smith (organ), Dick Hyman
Moog Synthesizer: Paul Beaver, Edd Kalehoff
Bass: Ray Brown (string), Chuck Rainey (Fender), Bob Crenshaw (string), Carole Kaye (Fender)
Milt Jackson - Vibes
Harry Lookofsky - Violins
Vocal Groups: Valerie Simpson, Maretha Steward, Marilyn Jackson, Barbara Massey, Joshie Armstead
Bill Cosby - Vocal (7)

Recorded at A&R Studios, New York City
Recording Engineer: Phil Ramone
Assistant Engineers: John Curcio, Tommy Vicari and George Clabin

Creative Direction by Roland Young
Album Concept and Design by Craig Braun, Inc. Jackets Mf'd by Sound Packaging Corp.
Photography by Jim McCrary
Liner Notes by Ralph J. Gleason

Capt. Bacardi

You know, I'm a big Quincy Jones fan,but I've never heard this album! Isn't that something! Well, from what I've seen on the credit lists, Q had some heavyweights on this one!

The only tune I've heard was "Hikky-Burr", which was on the A&M compilation series that featured some of Q's best A&M work. The tune had a 60s big band feeling to it, which featured some bizarre vocals from Bill Cosby.I was told that this was the theme music to the first Bill Cosby series. Is this true? Just trying to find out!

jazzdre said:
I was told that this was the theme music to the first Bill Cosby series. Is this true? Just trying to find out!

Yup! Cosby played a gym teacher named Chet Kincaid, and "Hikky-Burr" was the theme song. Shout! Factory has released this show on DVD recently as well.

Capt. Bacardi

Absolutely my favorite of Q's A&M LPs (with I Heard That! running a close second).

--Mr Bill

A good album and worth a listen. I actually thought the formula of this album coalesced more nicely on YOU'VE GOT IT BAD GIRL. Being a pop fan, my favorite Q album is THE DUDE, so that one, this one, and YGIBG are my 'top three' of his.

I got this album not too long ago; "Brown Ballad" is really the only song that makes me come back to it. The vocals just aggravate me. 2 stars.

Hey Captain! Thanks for the info! Sometime, later in the year, I will pick up the Cosby Show DVD! Also, speaking of Q, there is a DVD release of a concert that he did in Sweden in the early 60s. I saw a clip of it when Quincy appeared on the Tavis Smiley Show just last week.

He looked so cool just casually walking down the stairs, wearing a turtleneck shirt and a v-neck sweater, and then conducting this amazing big band! Nothing is cooler than seeing something like that!

I'm not much for the vocals on this album, either... (I always seemed to fall asleep playing the "wrong side"...) There was a camp counselor I had who did a very good "Hikky-Burr"...! :wink:

Granted the material on Side 1, (The side to be awake during) such as the Carole King/Gerry Goffin-written title-track is a fairly creative turn for Mr. Jones... Vince Guaraldi's often-covered "Cast Your Fate To The Wind" seems to be also decently done, as does Q's own "Theme From IRONSIDE"... However, there's really no way to do any kind of "What's Going On?" without stealing from Marvin...--The late, great Marvin Gaye... --Decadent Choir, Orchestrations, and All!

As for Side 2, only the First and Last song, which bookend the forgettable, but still good "Brown Ballad" (Sorry, I DON'T remember how it go!) are of redeeming quality... "Theme From THE ANDERSON TAPES" has a nice, spooky and mysterious quality to it and "Guitar Blues Odyssey: From Roots To Fruits" has each of Q's guitarists taking stabs at making a solo here and there...

Just goes to show that "So-So R&B Stylings" do not always make "Good Jazz"...!

My Four Stars is really Three-And-A-Half...: ***1/2

Dave

This is my favorite album of Q's on the A&M label. I like the groove on this album for the most part. It swings and it's funky. His version of "Cast Your Fate To The Wind" is one of the few of this song that I can actually tolerate. Love Freddie Hubbard's solo on "Ironside"! One of the highlights for me is "What's Going On?", again with a nice solo by Hubbard, as well as Jim Hall's guitar and the crazy violin solo by Harry Lookofsky. Toots Thielemans' harmonica is perfect on "Brown Ballad". And since I was a fan of the early "Bill Cosby Show" I always enjoy hearing "Hikky-Burr". While this isn't a perfect album it is quite solid. 4 stars.

Capt. Bacardi

I'm not crazy about this particular Quincy Jones album, with the exception of the Guitar Blues Odyssey. That one is outstanding. A guitar player, or guitar music lover must have!
Quincy of course is one of America's Jazz Icons. A living legend. :love:

Hi Guys,
This is an old favourite of mine. With a stroke of luck I got he MFSL-silver edition of this disc long time ago (before I knew what is was :laugh:
It is an album that is quite scattered and it does not have a clear thread but it is quite charming neverthelss.

I particularly enjoy Q's own vocal on "What's going on" :thumbsup: Well he's not the world's best singer but since it's Q it's fine and dandy with me.

Among Q´s AM albums I would rank "Walking in Space" as my favourite though followed by "You've got it bad girl".

/Shaft

Back
Top Bottom