🎵 AotW AOTW: Quincy Jones - YOU'VE GOT IT BAD GIRL (SP-3041)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 80.0%

Votes: 1 20.0%

• * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

• Total voters

Captain Bacardi

Quincy Jones
YOU'VE GOT IT BAD GIRL

A&M SP-3041

sp3041.jpg

Released 1973
Peaked at #1 on Jazz Charts (1973), #94 on Pop Charts (1973)

Produced by Quincy Jones & Ray Brown

Format: Vinyl/8-track/CD/Quadrophonic LP/MFSL LP

Songs:
  • 1. Summer In The City (John Sebastian/Steve Boone/Mark Sebastian) - 4:05
    2. Eyes Of Love (Quincy Jones/Bob Russell) - 3:28
    3. Tribute To A.F. - RO
    [list:e13f96c831](A) Daydreaming (Aretha Franklin) - 3:36
    (B) First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (Ewan MacColl) - 3:35
4. Love Theme From "The Getaway" (Quincy Jones) - 2:35
5. You've Got It Bad Girl (Yvonne Wright) - 5:45
6. Superstition (Stevie Wonder) - 4:40
7. Manteca (Dizzy Gillespie/Walter Fuller) - 8:40
8. "Sanford & Son" Theme (Quincy Jones) - 3:05
9. Chump Change (Quincy Jones/Bill Cosby) - 3:19[/list:u:e13f96c831]

Musicians:
Quincy Jones - Vocals, Arranger
Keyboards - Dave Grusin, Eddie Louis, George Duke, Bob James
Bass - Ray Brown
Sax - Phil Woods, Jerome Richardson, Ernie Watts
Flute - Hubert Laws
Guitar - Dennis Budimir, Toots Thielmans
Trumpet - Cat Anderson
Harmonica - Toots Thielmans, Tom Morgan
Vocals - Valerie Simpson
Other musicians not listed

Recorded at A&M Studios, Hollywood; Sun West Studios, Hollywood; The Record Plant, Hollywood; The Burbank Studios; A&R Studios, New York
Recording Engineer: Phil Schier with Phil Ramone and Larry Levine
Assisted by Gary Ladinsky and John Henning
Mixed by Phil Schier, Quincy Jones and Ray Brown

Art Direction - Roland Young
Photography - Jim McCreary

Liner Notes - Roberta Flack

Capt. Bacardi

Quincy just can't seem to record anything during this period without vocals, which, IMHO, are lame and take away from otherwise good music. Smackwater Jack was just too big a disappointment for me to look into getting the other later A&M albums, so I'll probably never hear this one. :|

An uneven album, but a good one. This is the one that really bridges the gap between Q's jazz and pop efforts, although it leans more toward the jazz size of things. The title track is one of my favorites of his; the Aretha Franklin tracks and the following "Getaway" theme are a nice mellow session. The album falls apart in the middle of side 2; "Manteca" is a good groove but goes on too long, the "Sanford and Son" theme is much better as a 30-second TV sound bite.

I never had this on CD but am on the lookout for it occasionally, so if anyone sees it available please drop me a PM!

Uneven, but Inspiring... A good groove here, Unfocused there...

The Negatives...: I agree, the "Theme from SANFORD & SON" is much more listenable on the Tube than placing it on the Turntable... "Superstition" seems fairly well-intended, but just seems to suffer from a forced delivery...

The one track which would've sounded good with vocals, [read: Needed Them] would be the Vocal-Version of "Love Theme from THE GETAWAY", sung by Marilyn Bergman and Mr. Jones on the B-Side of the Instrumental Version on '45'...

"Manteca" is an OK merger of Dizzy Gillespie's Hard-Bop/Be-Bop of Traditional Jazz with 'Q's own "modernization" in the up-and-coming world of Modern Jazz, and while this makes up for whatever shortcomings his previous effort had, you miss more and more of Smackwater...'s virtues, as Jones makes this approach, more and more "formulaic"... :sad:

And one wonders why the corny sounding "Chump Change" was available as a sound-sample at Carol Kaye's website, when she didn't even play on it... (--Yes, VERY Corny...!)

On the Plus Side...: "You've Got It Bad..." seems to be sung by 'Q' the way Stevie would'a wanted it to sound, 'least from someone "borrowing it" from his catalog...

The "Aretha Franklin/Roberta Flack medley" segues two compatible tunes, making a "guilty pleasure" of two well-known songs by the two lady artists he has worked with and befriended...

While "Summer In The City", despite the over-representation on Qunicy's Compilations and the ALTEC/ODYSSEY Various Artist-set, is also well-done, though largely depending on your mood...

*** 1/2-- (3 1/2) Three-and-a-Half Stars

Dave

Yeah, I really like this album! It is however a little uneven but picka song here and there according to your mood it's a great album.

I've had it on vinyl since forever and still wait to get it on CD. It has been released in Japan at some point I think. Til then I have made my own CDR from the vinyl with cover and all. Looks great and sounds spectacular!

Well, the opening to "Summer in the city" is just great. That low basslines, Dave Grusins electric piano and tasty Organ by Eddie Lewis + Strings and the slow groove and then Valerie Simpson enters and sings her heart out. Wow that's world class!

Toots Thielemans and Quincy are always great together and the don't disappoint here in two songs "Eyes of Love" and "The Getaway". Just beautiful.

Ray Brown is co-producer. Anyone know how he contributed?

/Shaft

This is a pretty decent album, but I think it pales in comparison to Smackwater Jack. I also start getting tired of the vocals to some point. To me the album starts getting interesting with "The Getaway" with Toots Thielemans' harmonica. The title track starts off slow, but really starts firing up halfway through with a very funky rhythm underneath. As for "Superstition", no one does it better than Stevie Wonder's original, so I wasn't too impressed with Q's version. "Manteca" is a fairly strong piece, but again I'm used to Dizzy's fiery Afro-Cuban (not bebop) version, so this version isn't quite as enjoyable, even though I love Cat Anderson's screeching trumpet. Apparently I'm the only one who likes "Sanford & Son" - I love the rhythm on this as well. A nice album, but not Q's best by any means. 3 stars.

Capt. Bacardi

Back
Top Bottom