🎵 AotW AOTW: Sandpipers COME SATURDAY MORNING (A&M SP 4262)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
SANDPIPERS
Come SAturday Morning

A&M SP 4262

sp4262.jpg

The first post-holiday AOTW for 2003 takes its title from the Sandpipers' hit song from "The Sterile Cuckoo," a film starring Liza Minnelli. Her version of the same song was the title tune from SP 4164. "Free to Carry On" from SP 4262 had minor chart success as a single.

Side One: Santo Domingo 2:48/ The Long and Winding Road 3:48/ Free to Carry On 2:45/ A Song of Joy 4:22 - later a hit for Miguel Rios/ Where There's a Heartache 2:47 - from "Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid"/ He's Got the Whole World in his Hands 3:50.

Side Two: The Drifter 2:40 -- also featured on Pisano & Ruff's SP 4276/ The Sound of Love 3:30/ Autumn Afternoon 3:40/ Come Saturday Morning 3:00/ The Wonder of You 2:38 -- title song from Sandpipers SP 4180/ Beyond the Valley of the Dolls 3:09 -- from motion picture of same name.

Produced and arranged by Bob Alcivar for Mr. Bones Productions, Inc. Strings & Horns by Bill Holman/ Sandpipers: Michael Piano, Jim Brady, Richard Shoff.
"Come Sat. Morning" and "Wonder of You" produced by Allen Stanton, arranged by Nick DeCaro.

Special Thanks for these Talented Musicians for their creative contributions: Hal Blaine (drums); Joe Osborne (bass), Larry Knechtel (piano, organ); Jimmy Rowles (piano); Dennis Budimir (electric guitar); Mike Anthony (rhythm guitar); Tommy Tedesco (rhythm guitar); Larry Bunker (percussion); And all the musicians of the Bill Holman orchestra; the beautiful voices of Patrice Holloway (solo on "Whole World"), Carolyn Willis and Susan Tallman.
Engineered by Ray Gerhardt; production assistants Shelley Gordon, Jill Sheridan and Ruth; art direction Tom Wilkes; photography Jim McCrary.

CD availability: recently reissued as a Japan import, may be obtainable from Melody Blvd.

JB

The Beautiful VoicesOf: Patrice Holloway (Solo Voice: "Whole World In Whole In His Hands"), Carolyn Willis and Susan Tallman.

You mean YOU got a copy with THIS on the back of it??? :mad: A GOOD One?? :tongue: I had to tape an entire 'Musicians Credits' from a bad cover to my good cover which does NOT list the singers. :o

Anyway a great album with a good Bones Howe Production and recorded at A&M Recording Studios, as opposed to Wally Heider, where this stuff is usually done at. And where The Sandpipers will record their final album, (at least for A&M) A GIFT OF SONG A&M SP 4327.

Whatever happened to these guys anyway?

Dave

...happy to see our Regular AOTW's resume... :)

Side One: Santo Domingo 2:48/ The Long and Winding Road 3:48/ Free to Carry On 2:45/ A Song of Joy 4:22/ Where There's a Heartache 2:47/ He's Got the Whole World in His Hands 3:50

Side Two: The Drifter 2:40/ The Sound of Love 3:30/ Autumn Afternoon 3:40/ Come Saturday Morning 3:00/ The Wonder of You 2:38/ Beyond the Valley of the Dolls 3:09

Note the differences between the A&M version and the Pickwick version:

Side One: The Drifter 2:40/ Where There's A Heartache 2:47/ Free To Carry On 2:45/ Come Saturday Morning 3:00/ A Song Of Joy 4:22

Side Two: The Long And Winding Road 3:48/ Autumn Afternoon 3:40/ The Sound Of Love 3:30/ The Wonder Of You 2:38

The first song, Side One, "Santo Domingo" and last song, Side Two: "Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls" are available as a single;

"Come Saturday Morning" is available as a single with "To Put Up With You" from SOFTLY A&M SP 4147 or with "Pretty Flamingo" from THE WONDER... A&M SP 4180;

"Free To Carry On" and "He's Got The Whole World In His Hands" are available as a single, as are "The Drifter and "The Sound Of Love", all from SP 4262;

"The Wonder Of You" is the title of the previous album The Sandpipers have done and appears on both;

"Autumn Afternoon" is the only song which don't appear on any compilations or singles;

"The Long And Winding Road", "Free To Carry On", "A Song Of Joy" and "Come Saturday Morning" also appear on the SANDPIPERS FOURSIDER Compilation A&M SP 3525;

"Come Saturday Morning", "Free To Carry On", "The Sound Of Love", "The Drifter" and "The Wonder Of You" (also from SP 4180) appear on the SANDPIPERS DIGITALLY REMASTERED BEST Compilation A&M POCM 1574;

"Where There's A Heartache" also appears on the Various Artists Compilation, BURT AND FRIENDS A&M SP 19007;

Dave

...with COMPLETE A&M Compilation and Singles info...

I have a semi-beat up LP of this, rescued from a radio station. And I have the Digitally Remastered Best compilation on CD, as well as the Foursider on LP in pretty good shape. This is one I still need to make a CD of.

Harry
...checking his "to do" list, online...

I have a semi-beat up LP of this, rescued from a radio station. And I have the Digitally Remastered Best compilation on CD, as well as the Foursider on LP in pretty good shape. This is one I still need to make a CD of.

Harry
...checking his "to do" list, online...

I actually got COME SATURDAY MORNING Still Sealed. I remember just being happy with my SANTO DOMINGO/BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS '45'. Wasn't impressed with the entire LP at first, but was once I had the rest of the Sandpipers' catalog. And have had this same LP ever since.

I remember going crazy looking for a cover that had the singers listed on the back. Realized I may have been "seeing things", until I found a beat up copy for a buck.

I seem to have otherwise have almost all of the same Sandpipers albums, since discovering them about 6 or 7 years ago.

Next album, A GIFT OF SONG, I can remember buying for a Quarter at a Salvation Army thrift store. This was the FIRST Sandpipers album I bought. It played good, but didn't seem like the place to start. Got rid of it, but then I bought GUANTANAMERA and the rest, including it. And my copy of GIFT I have in my rack now, is one I bought at a store that still has the $3.99 sticker.

Dave

Apparently the Sandpiers were a duo of Jim Brady and Michael Piano by the time SP 4328 A GIFT OF SONG was recorded. Hal Blaine and Pete Jolly both particiated in this Mr. Bones production.
It was another 5 years before the Sandpipers recorded again, with their 1977 album OVERDUE coming out on RCA (VPL 1 4048). That's the catalog number on the Australian LP I obtained through Ebay a few years back. The front cover has a sticker which says "includes hit single 'Hang On Sloopy'."
The group was a trio again, with James Brady, Richard Shoff and Gary Duckworth. The album was recorded at Pye Studios and Zodiac Sounds in London.
JB

This is a nice album, no real "bite" to it, but good music. It's the first Sandpipers album I owned. Like a lot of A&M stuff, I first heard it on 8-track. Got the LP later, and the CD from Melody Blvd when it came out. At the moment, this is the only Sandpipers album I own other than Digitally Mastered Best.

I kind of liked the fact they were taking some adventurous tacks with their sound, not exactly rock'n'roll, but definitely adding some rock elements. The Gift of Song LP would continue this. That one is still on my to-buy list!

I did wonder why they included "The Wonder of You" on this album. Were they really that short of material, or were they hoping for a single release?

Apparently the Sandpipers were a duo of Jim Brady and Michael Piano by the time SP 4328 A GIFT OF SONG was recorded. Hal Blaine and Pete Jolly both particiated in this Mr. Bones Production.

Sheeeuooot! You had nearly EVERY West Coast 'Clique' Player backing these guys! I even know the names of the String Section on A GIFT OF SONG by heart. :D

It was another 5 years before the Sandpipers recorded again, with their 1977 album OVERDUE coming out on RCA (VPL 1 4048). That's the catalog number on the Australian LP I obtained through Ebay a few years back. The front cover has a sticker which says "includes hit single 'Hang On Sloopy'."

OK, I used to have a 12" E.P of The Sandpipers. It had "Hang On Sloopy"; both a long version on Side 1 and a shorter version on Side 2. Another song on Side 2 is a sort of "Leland Loftis"-like number, "Skidrow Joe". Also had an obscure UK '45', IT SHOULD HAVE LASTED FOREVER/DARLING I APOLOGIZE. Forgot what label these were on.

The group was a trio again, with James Brady, Richard Shoff and Gary Duckworth. The album was recorded at Pye Studios and Zodiac Sounds in London.
JB

Would sure like to know more info on this Sandpipers album. Such as a Track List?

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom