Votes: 2 22.2%
  • ADEUS AMÉRICA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • O MAR É MEU CHÃO

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • DESENREDO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I was playing around with the Japanese version of ALEGRIA today and doing some comparisons between the Japanese LP. the UK version, and the CD and LP of HORIZONTE ABERTO. A couple of interesting finds:

- The CD of HORIZONTE ABERTO seems just a tad sped up on most tracks, something around .2%. It's enough that I notice the difference in pitch when played in rapid succession.

- "Última Baticada" has a long version and a short version. On both the LP and CD of HORIZONTE ABERTO, the song times out at around 3:30. On both of the ALEGRIA versions, the song goes on for another full minute, timing out at close to 4:30.

I like the longer version of the song - it's repetitive, but at the point of the short version fade, there's a horn section that comes in and we get to hear a little more of that on the long version. Given the 3:30 timing for the short version, you gotta wonder whether that was done for a single length for radio. I have no conception of any singles released from the album anywhere.

Harry

Yet more ALEGRIA news, at least to me. I saw a listing of the album on eBay and on closer inspection, it had a track in place of "Horizonte Aberto" and "Nowadays (There Was A Time)" called "Avisame". All of the other Portuguese titles had Spanish subtitles except this one, and sure enough, reading the fine print, it said that there were Spanish lyrics written by Luis Gomez Escolar.

So it arrived today and sure enough, Gracinha sang the lyrics in Spanish on this Mexican version of the album. Unfortunately, the mastering leaves a lot to be desired as channels fade in and out with no rhyme nor reason - just a sloppy job. It's possible that with some care and attention, I might be able to fix some of that in Audacity.

But it all just leads me to wonder just how many countries had an ALEGRIA release with this song in their language?

Harry

Just an FYI, Horizonte Aberto is currently available on Amazon for $16.99 (CD) and $9.99 (streaming/mp3). The CD is currently out of stock, but can be ordered to ship when in stock; the streaming version is available now.

I have the Som Livre CD and the quality is just dandy.
Just to add to the confusion, I also have the Italian vinyl (on the WEA label and Horizonte Aberto is Orizzonte Aperto, sung (by Gracinha) in Italian. The Italian lyrics are by Sergio Bardotti who was also a long-time collaborator with Vincius de Moraes and Chico Buarque (who had fled from Brazil to Italy).

I'd love to hear that! Brazilian songs sung in Italian are gorgeous - both Romance languages have the same rhythm as can be heard in Mina's "La Pioggia di Marzo".

Just an FYI, Horizonte Aberto is currently available on Amazon for $16.99 (CD) and $9.99 (streaming/mp3). The CD is currently out of stock, but can be ordered to ship when in stock; the streaming version is available now.
I see its also available for downloading too I listened to the samples and I'm planning to get this it sounds more like the Brasil sound that we all prefer from Sergio and being a Late 70s album this is a true Golden Rarity

I just located and received a 45 RPM single of "Orrizonte Aperto", the Italian version of "Horizonte Aberto". Gracinha is good in any language!

I finally got the album in my collection as a download and my goodness I'm kicking myself for not getting it sooner it's more like the Brazilian jazz pop mix of the Brasil 66 days but yet more modern I voted for the O Mar E Meu Chao or as it's known in English " The Sea is My soil" I think Sergio did a great Update to this version I liked it on " Favorite things" now the only missing Sergio album I need to get is his 1989 second A&M finale Arara I was able to get the missing albums via download and I don't have much room left for physical Cds but my computer still has a lot of room left but I'm being very selective to what goes into it nonetheless Horizonte Aberto is one of Sergios best in my opinion

True, it is a really good album. I think it contains some of Sergio's best vocals ever....he finally realized he sounds better on slightly higher notes!

It's all Superbly Wonderful Music all around. I would call it " Good Times Music" if such a category existed.

For anyone who still wants this, but missed it, Qobuz has it for streaming and for purchase in the download store. (You don't need a streaming subscription to order from the download store.) $7.99 as of this writing, in lossless CD quality.

Back
Top Bottom