🎵 AotW AOTW: The Winter Consort ROAD (A&M SP 4279)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
THE WINTER CONSORT
Road

A&M SP 4279

sp4279.jpg

Side One: Icarus 4:30/ Fantasy, Fugue & Ghost Beads 7:05/ Um Abraco (A Big Hug) 4:20/ Ave Maria Stella- Andromeda 8:14.

Side Two: General Pudson's Entrance 5:50/ Come to Your Senses 6:41/ Requiem 7:30/ Aftricanus Brasileiras Americanus (Kaligaga Ebwembe & Asa Branca) 8:10.

Paul Winter, sax/ David Darling, cello/ Ralph Towner, classical guitar & 12-string/ Paul McCandless, oboe & English horn/ Collin Walcott, tabla, conga, surdos, traps, tambourine/ Glen Moore, bass.
Miscellaneous percussion played by all; Amadinda xylophone, kalimba, afuche, reco-reco, agogos, V-8 juice shaker, tubo, sleighbells.

Produced by Phil Ramone/ Engineers Phil Ramone & David Greene/ Remote recording Wally Heider, Fedco/ Consort sound engineer Bobby Greene/ Art Director Tom Wilkes/ Cover art Abe Gurvin/ Calligraphy Barbara Vosse/ Photography Slick Lawson.
Classical guitar by R.L. Mattingly
Recorded in concerts at Royce Hall, UCLA, Kilbourn Hall, Eastman School of Music, Rochester, NY & Whiskey A-Go-Go, Hollywood.

Reissued on CD as A&M 0826 in 1988.

For more information visit:

www.livingmusic.com

JB

Some items of note-I believe this is the first recording of "Icarus",something of a theme song for Paul Winter and later recorded by its composer, Ralph Towner,as well. Also,the nucleus of this version of the Consort:Towner,McCandless,Walcott and Moore-eventually became the group Oregon. I have always understood that this was not an amicable breaking from Paul Winter,though detail seem to be hard to come by. According to the liners of the EARTHDANCE compilation(SP 4653),Apollo 15 astronauts named two moon craters "Icarus" and "Ghost Beads" after the two compositions from this album. Mac

I'm not really up on Paul Winter's activities, but didn't he have a few albums on Windham Hill with a newer version of the Consort?

The album after ROAD was ICARUS,originally on Epic. After the A&M compilation,EARTHDANCE,Paul did another A&M release of new material,COMMON GROUND,released in 1978 and in 1980 started Living Music,distributed for a time by Windham Hill(which in turn was distributed by A&M,which was distributed by BMG). ICARUS eventually was released on Living Music,but the A&M albums remain part of Universal Vivendi. I could stand corrected,but I believe that COMMON GROUND has remained in print in some form since its release,. BTW,whatever friction that may have existed between Paul and Oregon,Paul McCandless has been involved with many of Paul's world music projects over the years and Ralph Towner is grateful to Paul because it was Paul who introduced Ralph to the 12-string guitar that is a staple of his instrments. You may also know that Colin Walcott died in a traffic accident while on tour with Oregon in 1984. More info at www.livingmusic.com Mac

In early 1970 this LP arrived at my college radio station and knocked me out. It still does.
Winter had a supergroup, the members who would all record individually for the yet-to-be-formed ECM label. A&M took a gamble on this, and in getting Phil Ramone to pull this together (as producer and engineer) from recording locations on both coasts -- including the Whisky Au-Go-Go! A prescient album combining elements of New Age and World Music with classical and jazz, it is highly regarded today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom