🎵 AotW AOTW: Waylon Jennings DON'T THINK TWICE (A&M SP 4238)

If you've owned or heard this album, how would you rate it?

• * * * * * (Best)

Votes: 1 16.7%

• * * * (Average)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • * (Worst)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Haven't heard this album.

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
WAYLON JENNINGS
Don't Think Twie
A&M SP4238
sp4238.jpg

These were the future country outlaw's first major label recordings, produced by Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss. Jennings (1937-2002) subsequently went to Nashville signed with RCA and the rest was history.
Side 1
Don't Think Twice (3:00), River Boy (2:30), Twelfth of Never (2:24), The Race is On (2:30), ***Stepping Stone (1:51), The Real House of the Rising Sun (3:35).
Side 2
Just to Satisfy You (2:21), Kisses Sweeter than Wine (2:26), Unchained Melody (3:12), *I Don't Believe You (4:00), Four Strong Winds (2:54).

Engineer Bernie Grundman/ Photography Guy Webster
Released in England as **THE COUNTRY SIDE OF WAYLON JENNINGS (AMLB 1006, Mayfair).
Reissued in 1978 as RAVE ON by Bear Family Records of Germany, with "Rave On" and "Love Denied" (from A&M single # 722) included and omitting "Don't Think Twice"
Not available on CD

"Sing the Girls a Song Bill" (A&M # 753) is the only other non-LP single.
JB

* listed incorrectly as "I Didn't Believe You" on the front cover
** title listed on the record label is THE COUNTRY STYLE OF WAYLON JENNINGS
*** origin unknown; not the Monkees' hit

I finally found this album last year, and was a bit surprised. I had read where Waylon thought that Herb didn't like country music, and tried to make Waylon another Al Martino. But this sounds very country to me - at least as country sounded at the time. The only pop-sounding song was "Unchain My Heart", and the rather neat version of "House Of The Rising Sun". I'm no country fan myself, but this is listenable for me. Herb's trumpet on "Four Strong Winds" is pleasing as well. One of these days I hope to find the unreleased 45s of these sessions, including the one where the TJB are the backing band.

Capt. Bacardi
NW: All-Star Game

LPJim said:
These were the future country outlaw's first major label recordings, produced by Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss. Jennings (1937-2002) subsequently went to Nashville signed with RCA and the rest was history.
Side 1
Don't Think Twice (3:00), River Boy (2:30), Twelfth of Never (2:24), The Race is On (2:30), Stepping Stone (1:51), The Real House of the Rising Sun (3:35).
Side 2
Just to Satisfy You (2:21), Kisses Sweeter than Wine (2:26), Unchained Melody (3:12), *I Don't Believe You (4:00), Four Strong Winds (2:54)

Engineer: Bernie Grundman / Photography: Guy Webster
Released in England as **THE COUNTRY SIDE OF WAYLON JENNINGS (AMLB 1006, Mayfair).
Reissued in 1978 as RAVE ON by Bear Family Records of Germany, with "Rave On" and "Love Denied" (from A&M single # 722) included and omitting "Don't Think Twice".
Not available on CD

"Sing the Girls a Song Bill" (A&M # 753) is the only other non-LP single.
JB

* listed incorrectly as "I Didn't Believe You" on the front cover
** title listed on the record label is THE COUNTRY STYLE OF WAYLON JENNINGS

Well, I haven't heard this one or had it in a long time. "Rave On", "Love Denied", "Don't Think Twice", "Sing The Girls A Song, Bill" and "Four Strong Winds" all appear on PHASE ONE: THE EARLY YEARS, which I've still got.

The best known reindition of "The Twelfth Of Never" has been done by Johnny Mathis. I've got a Leslie Uggams version of "Just To Satisfy You". I may not have the Jimmie Rodgers' "Kisses Sweeter Than Wine", which he is best known for, but Andy Williams has a version of it I found to be as good. "I Don't Believe You" is Bob Dylan's song and we all know about the legacy of "House Of The Rising Sun" and even "Unchained Melody". And the oft-covered "Four Strong Winds", by Ian & Sylvia Tyson. And "Rave On" is a nod to the late Buddy Holly whom Waylon even backed and toured with, as well.

Yes, A&M didn't expand on Waylon's career or in its 40 years in existence, on Country Music like it could have. But just more songs and another "would have been obscure" artists in its extensive roster of One-Shots.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom