April 2019 in Thousand Oaks - 50th Anniversary

ringves

We are now less than 2 years away from the 50th Anniversary of the Carpenters signing with A&M Records.

So it's time to start planning an event to honor our favorite duo.

I have already made some preliminary inquiries with the Cultural Affairs department at the City of Thousand Oaks. And they have been very helpful.

But ...

Hotels always want to know the size of the group involved or at least an estimate of the number of people who might be interested in attending such an event.

So my first ask is to inquire if anyone remembers how many people attended the 30th Anniversary event organized by Randy Schmidt twenty years ago.

If anyone can recall the approximate number of people who attended, that would be very useful information to pass along to the Cultural Affairs department and to any prospective hotel.

My second ask is: Among the forum members, is there anyone out there who is a CPA registered in the state of California? IMHO, it would be a good idea to have someone with that kind of background to be a member of the organizing committee.

Cheers,

Robert

I will attend this event. In fact, by April 2019 I will probably be living in Thousand Oaks or Newport Beach.

Alas, I am not a not a CPA and do not know how many people attended. But please keep me informed of this event, I have some resources that may be helpful depending on what the plans are and how this proceeds.

So my first ask is to inquire if anyone remembers how many people attended the 30th Anniversary event organized by Randy Schmidt twenty years ago.

If anyone can recall the approximate number of people who attended, that would be very useful information to pass along to the Cultural Affairs department and to any prospective hotel.

I wasn't there but I think around 100 people attended.

We'll see where life takes me... can't say 'yes', but I don't want to rule it out entirely. A resounding "maybe". :D
I've wanted to go to California for some time, though. As it is, I'd have loved to go this year for some of the 50th Anniversary "Summer of Love" stuff. 2019 is a possibility!

I got family in SoCal, I can stay with them:yikes:! Sounds like it would be an awesome event to attend. At this juncture, a definite "maybe" for me also...

As I mentioned before, I will almost certainly be living in southern Cali by then but even if not, I will attend, it isn't dependent on that move. It's a short hop from Phoenix.

Will there be a more formal type of sign up sheet or something for this? Perhaps a Facebook event or website link for those who aren't on there. Maybe a google document with information.
A thread is great, but hope to see this fleshed out more in time. :)
I'd like to come. "What lies in the future is a mystery to us all". Never had the opportunity to meet Carps fans before. I'll have to plan and save up. Haha Kinda far for me.

I'm in the UK but would definitely be interested in attending this, I'm planning to visit the US next year and in 2019 :)

It's only an 18 hour drive from Portland South I-5 all the way to Los Angeles. I'm getting pumped.

I would love to take a carpenters tour, but there isn't much carpenters history in thousand oaks.. I think it would be rather disrespectful for a tour bus of people descending on the carpenter mausoleum.
i know Richard and mary came to a ceremony in downey. and I think Richard distributed discs. some of the former hangouts in downey are gone. I sure as hell am certain the owners of 9828 will not graciously open their doors as they did in the past.

I would love meeting like minded people; I don't have constructive input. I do hope some type of tribute can be arranged.

perhaps if anyone can contact yuka ogura, there might be something in the works in japan. I know that fan club has been here before....and I am dying to get my hands on one of those plexi-glass pianos!!!!

Thanks for the interest and feedback.

Yes, much more needs to be fleshed out. I agree.

In the days since I first posted this thread, I have been in touch with the organizer of the 1999 event (Randy Schmidt), who gave me a rough idea as to the number of participants back then. That is very useful information in terms of getting a hotel interested - assuming, of course, that roughly the same number of people would be involved this time round.

I'll post more information after I've had a chance to discuss hotel options with some of the tourism folks in the Thousand Oaks area.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom