Aretha Franklin

Here's an Aretha/Alpert connection story: when MIDNIGHT SUN came out in 92, Aretha was one of the few celebrities to come out and sing the praises of the album! She had said to something to the effect of 'he's a friend of mine, and I didn't know that he(Herb) would make such a all out beautiful jazz album as this';something like that(at least that's what my friend told me!) Thank you Miss Ree for the great music, your contributions to world culture and your commitment to civil rights and other causes that helped to make our country and world a little better. Truly,truly,Rest In Peace.

jazzdre

Post Script: Coincidentally, Aretha passed away on the day another member of musical royalty passed away:The King Of Rock N Roll,Elvis Presley. The "King" and The "Queen" both gone on the same day over two decades apart. August 16...

Last edited:
NBC Nightly News host Lester Holt played "Angel" at the end of the newscast!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I was never a big Aretha fan, but she was a huge talent undeniably. I loved her cameo in "The Blues Brothers" movie. And I did like her later hits like "Who's Zoomin' Who" when Clive Davis brought her back into the spotlight.

As Tina Turner sang on her "Private Dancer" album, "I Might Have Been Queen". Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Back
Top Bottom