Arrastao ["For Me"] by Edu Lobo & Vinicius de

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOv2

For those connoisseurs of the piece, For Me -- popularized in the US by Brasil '66 -- you may be interested in hearing what may be the debute version by Edu Lobo. Recorded in 1964, on his first LP, A Musica de Edu Lobo Por Edu Lobo, the piece was originally titled Arrastao. As was the custom of the day, the lyrics were re-written for US-pop consumption. It's unknown as to what the original Portuguese content addressed. I note the Spanish word, Santa Barbara (where I was born), in the lyric; to that end, Lani sure ain't singing about THAT in Sergio's version. As usual, internet translation tools are of zero help: one translated the title word into "wrench" -- another into "bucket"...unless, of course, the lyrics describe a trip to a hardware store.

In any event, the master, Luiz Eca and his Tamba Trio are on hand for this session. A gem.

edu-lobo.jpg

I have the "Arrestão" song by Edu Lobo on the PERSONALIDADE compilation that Verve released in what looks like 1987. It's 2:25 and starts with a flute. Is that the version from the ELENCO album?

These Brazilian artists are known to perform the same songs many times over the years.

Harry

It almost does sound like Tamba Trio on that track from "Personalidade".

Harry said:
I have the "Arrestăo" song by Edu Lobo on the PERSONALIDADE compilation that Verve released in what looks like 1987. It's 2:25 and starts with a flute. Is that the version from the ELENCO album?
Harry, your description matches the recording. Given Rudy's feeling that it may very well be the Tamba Trio, I'd wager the recording you both have is very likely the 1964 version. Isn't it gorgeous? Sergio must've thought so -- he pretty much copied the arrangement (which, I'm sure was Eca's)!

I just took a listen to the sound samples for the "Edu Lobo por Edu Lobo" album, and it turns out that five of those tracks with the Tamba Trio appear on the "Personalidade" compilation:

Borandá
Reza
Arrastão
Chegança
Canção Do Amanhecer

From the others I've heard, it sounds like an album I'm going to have to get ahold of. :thumbsup:

That is a SUPERB album ---- I have the vinyl (import) -- and the CD -- One of the GREAT Brazilian composers. I would also recommend also his EMI release "Edu Lobo" ---- which has the killer cuts "Vento Bravo" and "Gloria" --- and also his Sergio produced A & M album . My favorite composition of his is "Ponteio" --- a spellbinding, monster tune .

Which album is "Upa Neguinho" from? I know it's probably on one of his earlier albums.

Sounds like I have some catching up to do re: Edu Lobo. :agree:

Rudy said:
Which album is "Upa Neguinho" from? I know it's probably on one of his earlier albums.
Sounds like I have some catching up to do re: Edu Lobo. :agree:
Rudy, I believe the piece debuted on Edu e Bethania ['66].

May I also recommend:
  • Edu Lobo ['67]
    Cantiga De Longe ['68]
Which, I believe, takes one up to his 1970 A&M LP. I'm not sure if there are any others from this period -- these are all I've been able to track down in the last 3 years. All are truly fine -- no obvious filler or throways. Edu is an excellent writer and singer.

rickster said:
That is a SUPERB album ---- I have the vinyl (import) -- and the CD -- One of the GREAT Brazilian composers. I would also recommend also his EMI release "Edu Lobo" ---- which has the killer cuts "Vento Bravo" and "Gloria" --- and also his Sergio produced A & M album . My favorite composition of his is "Ponteio" --- a spellbinding, monster tune .

Have you heard Woody Herman's version of PONTEIO from the LIGHT MY FIRE album? It's a Richard Evans arrangement that really cooks...it was my first exposure to the tune and Edu Lobo, ca. 1968.

Dan

I surely have , and I have transferred that album to CD so that I play that track constantly. It is indeed a MONSTER track , one of the most exciting pieces of contemporary big band writing and performing I have ever heard. And that killer lead trumpet of Nat Pavone is all over that cut, with the huge Double A cap-off at the end. I LOVE that track , and have for over 30 years !!

Cantiga was actually recorded right after the A&M album. There are several (all excellent) LPs/CDs missing from the above list, including EDU CANTA ZUMBI, REENCONTRO, and especially 1967's EDU and 1969's FROM THE HOT AFTERNOON. The 1970s saw some of Edu's greatest work, including MISSA BREVE and LIMITE DAS AGUAS. I've mentioned this in several other threads, but Edu was married to Wanda Sa (B65) for many years, and their son Bena has a couple of OK to pretty good things out.

Thanks, everyone, for the information. I realized over the years he may have had a couple of albums to his name, but didn't realize he had this many! What I've heard from the two I own is pretty good, and of course, I know him more as a songwriter thanks to his tunes that are on various albums over the years. I hadn't ever seen his albums in the used record bins, and only recently (in the past several years) does it seem like his 60s and 70s albums have been reissued on CD.

From the Herb Alpert/Hugh Masekela album, the song "Lobo", I'm sure, appeared on one of his own albums, and I'm guessing it may be under a different title. Anyone know?

Rudy -- just go to the source:

http://www.edulobo.com.br/site_eng/site.html

An interesting fact from the Website is that Cantiga De Longe was recorded at the Record Plant in LA (in 1970, as JMK pointed out). I wonder if the LP was initially conceived as American release follow-up to the A&M issue?

Also, for clarity, From The Hot Afternoon -- which is also noted on Edu's website -- is actually a Paul Desmond A&M/CTi release. Am not sure why this is listed on Edu's website. Edu's contributions were as a session player in that he contributed 4 songs, played guitar on 3 and sang on 1; however, Milton Nascimento contributed the balance of the LP's songs (6) and Sebesky arranged all 10 seiections... Stylistically, it aligns better with Nascimento's then-recently released Courage A&M/CTi LP than to Edu's forthcoming LP. (Luckily, the CD reissue gave us many selections sans the orchestra. Works better that way for these ears...)

Speaking of Milton, here's his site -- in the event you want to organize another Brazilian genius' discography!

http://www2.uol.com.br/miltonnascimento/home.htm

Rudy said:
I just took a listen to the sound samples for the "Edu Lobo por Edu Lobo" album...it sounds like an album I'm going to have to get ahold of. :thumbsup:
Rudy, if you decided to pick up the CD, please note that there are two identical issues available -- both issued in 2008: one by Dubas Musica, the other apparently by Elenco/Universal. I have the former; unfortunately, the sound is highly distorted in several places -- the CD is also one of these new-fangled LOUD productions with limited dynamic range. If you were to order this title, I'd go after the Elenco -- the thought being it couldn't be any worse than the Dubas Musica issue. Perhaps JMK or another cornerite, who may be familiar with the original LP, could speak to original recording quality. All previous Elenco CDs I have exhibit quite good sonics.

Thanks for the warning. I'm always wary of ANY new CD made in the past 10 years or so. I think the CD I spotted online was the Elenco.

JMK said:
It's about a fisherman.

I don't speak Portuguese, but I became aware of this fact after reading the review on the back of my 'In Person at El Matador' vinyl written by Leonard Feather.

I am a sucker for 'For Me' (even if the lyrics have been bastardized) and I remember clearly the joy of discovering this song with such foreign vocals was actually a song I was very familliar with and loved.

"Vivo Sonhando" on 'Bossa Nova York' had a similar effect on me... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom