Artwork and Photos for Karen's Solo Album

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark-T

Has anyone ever seen the mock ups or the test pressings of the cardboard jacket for the solo album?
I was able to get a brief tour of A&M back in 1989 with a friend who worked there. He happened to know a man in the international department, Doug Haverty or Haggarty or something like that. Doug had a copy of the jacket for her solo album, which he had hidden in his office. as I am sure all these were destroyed when the album was shelved.
What a treasure! The left side was the back of the album and had a photo of Karen holding the back of her hair up. The front was the same photo as the cover of what came out eventually but not colorized in greys, browns, and greens. All the album was in rose, violets, and blues. (Her red jacket and leather pants were obviously colorized to match.) Very cool. I don't remember seeing any song titles at all on it. And the front only said "Karen Carpenter" in a stylized design which looked like her signature. (I always thought the cover and colors that came out in '96 or so were a "bastardazation" of the real thing- and that Karen's face looks awful. Such a poor contrast to what I saw!)
Anyway...I remember thinking when I drove home that if I ever had a chance to get anything as a souvenir, that would be it!!! A&M was exciting to see but not even close to seeing the jacket of the solo album! What a story I had to tell my wife about that day!
I know some solo photos show the original color scheme (ie the inside photo in the original Yesterday Once More album jacket), but I haven't seen others since.
Maybe some of these photos will surface in the new boxed set.
Mark

mark-some of the photo outtake shots for the solo album have surfaced over the years.An alternate shot of the VOICE OF THE HEART album cover(which was actually taken for the solo album in 1979) appeared in PEOPLE magazine in February 1983(full page 8x10).There is also an alternate shot of the solo album cover(as released in 1996)-which I have a copy of-karen with the leather pants/red jacket/fluffed hairdo sitting on the same couch.GREAT SHOT! This appeared in the VOICE OF THE HEART piano book(which was only in print a few years). As far as I know,the VOICE OF THE HEART album cover was originally intended to be the solo album cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom