"Ask Joe Osborn" Question Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
Hey everybody,

After lengthy conversation with "The Wrecking Crew" and first call Carpenters studio bassist, Joe Osborn has graciously agreed to have some Q&A dialogue with A&M Corner members regarding his time with Karen and Richard over the years.

As most of you know by now, Joe was instrumental in getting the Carpenters' demo tape to the upper brass at A&M. He recorded some of their earliest demos on his "Magic Lamp" label prior to their signing with A&M Records in 1969, and of course can be heard playing his signature bass lines on almost every Carpenters track ever recorded.

We'll keep the thread open for a couple of weeks so you can think of questions you'd like answered, which will then be submitted to Joe. Try to not make them the same generic questions, but be creative and have fun! **Please note that he is limited in what he can discuss regarding any of Richard Carpenter's latest projects, so do note that he won't be able to answer much of that out of respect for Richard's wishes. Thank you...

Amazing thread and thank you Joe for a once in a lifetime opportunity to ask burning questions!

Two questions I have...

1. What was your most difficult bassline executed for the Carpenters recording sessions? Richard has said in liner notes on a compilation album that he was most impressed with your handling of the bassline for 'Crystal Lullaby'. Would you agree?

2. My second question concerns Karen's solo track 'If I Had You'. For the 'Lovelines' album, you were asked by Richard to come in and recut the bass for that track in 1989. What were your thoughts on the track and the sound of Karen's album as a whole, after all the years of playing bass on the Carpenters records?

1) One of my all-time favorite recordings from Karen and Richard is For All We Know. A large part of that is tied to the second melodic lead in the piece, and that is your base line. Can you elaborate on that song - and also - in terms of your entire body of work with the duo, where might For All We Know rank in your thoughts of your joint performances?

2) It's always fun to hear snippets of stories that took place during various recordings.... Any stand out anecdotes that come to mind on either Karen's or Richard's demeanor during a session that may have been particularly humorous - or abnormally grueling?

3) I know with my children - they are all my favorites.... However, when it comes to Carpenters songs, which do you rank with particular preference, and why?

Thanks so much for your time and consideration of the fans, Joe. Your gift of music will be treasured always! Best, Barry T / Nashville

Somewhere along the line I have heard interviews talking about your playing and the way the Richard wanted the bass line. It seems like it was Richard being interviewed in the years after Karen's passing.

Was their a unique way in which Richard wanted you to play the bass lines in Carpenters' songs?
Was it difficult to play?

You recently were in the studio with Richard, working on his new Christmas album. What will the flavor of this project be like? Any songs you'd like to share? Any of Karen's voice included?

You recently were in the studio with Richard, working on his new Christmas album. What will the flavor of this project be like? Any songs you'd like to share? Any of Karen's voice included?

**Please note that he is limited in what he can discuss regarding any of Richard Carpenter's latest projects, so do note that he won't be able to answer much of that out of respect for Richard's wishes. Thank you...

Oops :)

^^^Stephen, it never hurts to ask :laugh:

Joe,

The "garage tunes" recorded in your garage studio as Richard mentions on the box set "From the Top" were so amazing to hear after all those years of being sealed up. Don't Be Afraid, Your Wonderful Parade, Invocation, The Parting of Our Ways, etc..

What can you tell us about these tunes that Richard has not already told us in the liner notes on From the Top? I'd like to hear your view about how the tracks were layed down and anything interesting you can remember about them. What did you think of Karen's voice in these early stages?

P.S. We have so few photos of Karen actually in the recording studio, is there a photo of you and Karen that has never been published that you have in your collection, maybe even from the "garage tunes" or anytime, that you care to share with the fans. We would love to see a new photo never before released. :)

Thank you!!

Hi Joe,

What unreleased song or songs would you like to see released from the vaults.

Thanks for any insight you may have!

Hi Joe:
What was it like to do the basic tracks with Karen's lead singing? Did you generally play on a separate track prior to Karen laying down her vocals? Did she sing along to your bass line, or did you play to her leads when a track was started?

What were the sessions like in April, 1982? When was the last time you saw Karen, and can you give us a few special memories of working with her through the years?

Lastly, how did Karen's bass playing come about?

Thanks for all the great music!
Bob

Joe:

What other sessions with what other artists were you doing at the time you were playing for the Carpenters? What other recording studios were you playing at, besides A&M?

-- Dave

Joe,
I'm very interested in the musical history of the San Fernando valley. I always enjoyed passing by the house on Ethel Ave now and then when I lived in N. Hollywood about 10 years ago and pointing it out to some fellow amateur pop music historians. Most people have no idea about the story of that garage. Can you describe the basic layout of the studio as of the time Richard and Karen first recorded there in ‘66? Did you do the work converting the garage yourself? What sort of acoustics did you put in to control the sound? (Could neighbors, etc, overhear the sessions when they were happening?) Also, when Karen recorded the Magic Lamp sessions did she bring her own drums or play a studio set? Do any photos exist anywhere of the garage studio (with or without Karen) as it was around 1966?
Thanks for any info you can share about that historic place.

I've submitted all of your questions to Joe and hope to be able to post a "Fans ask, Joe answers" thread by the end of next week. Thanks so much for all of your participation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom