Astrud Gilberto dies

I've been listening to my four or five of her albums this morning. She was absolutely the "voice of summer." Bright, warm, and breezy. R.I.P.

It does not seem so long ago but I remember hearing Girl From Ipanema on AM radio in the 60's. It is still as great a song now as it was back then.
Rest In Peace Astrud.

Astrud's passing is big news. As I see it, her voice became, and will always be, the most familiar sound associated with Brazilian music around the world. The New York Times link below has a fitting obituary and opens with a beautiful photo of Astrud from 1972. God bless and rest in peace.

This song is a special favorite of mine: Astrud sings "Lugar Bonito" with music by Carlos Lyra and lyrics by Norman Gimbel and a magnificent arrangement by Al Cohn. All musical giants.

This song is a special favorite of mine: Astrud sings "Lugar Bonito" with music by Carlos Lyra and lyrics by Norman Gimbel and a magnificent arrangement by Al Cohn. All musical giants.

This is my all-time favourite of Astrud's...Her summer voice taking us to an imagined utopia of sorts. A+ work from Astrud and Al Cohn.

Reactions: lj
Here are the lyrics to "Lugar Bonito"--simply perfection--as expected from Norman Gimbel, the go-to lyricist for so many classic Bossa Nova songs. The words are so fitting, as the road of life is hard but we all are seeking in our earthly journey somewhere out there a pretty place of peace and tranquility. I would say Astrud has now arrived at that pretty place--her heavenly reward.

Although Astrud became famous and was the face of Bossa Nova, her personal life was not an easy one.

As a musical salute to the memory of Astrud, have another listen to the original long version of "The Girl From Ipanema" from 1963. I'm in awe of the amazing talent associated with the "Getz/Gilberto" album: Creed Taylor--producer, Phil Ramone--engineer, Stan Getz--tenor sax, Tom Jobim--piano, Milton Banana--drums. Sebastiao Neto--bass, Joao Gilberto--guitar and vocals, Astrud Gilberto--vocals. With great Brazilian songs and brilliant artists, small wonder this album made musical history.

As a musical salute to the memory of Astrud, have another listen to the original long version of "The Girl From Ipanema" from 1963. I'm in awe of the amazing talent associated with the "Getz/Gilberto" album: Creed Taylor--producer, Phil Ramone--engineer, Stan Getz--tenor sax, Tom Jobim--piano, Milton Banana--drums. Sebastiao Neto--bass, Joao Gilberto--guitar and vocals, Astrud Gilberto--vocals. With great Brazilian songs and brilliant artists, small wonder this album made musical history.

The full length version still gets radio play here every now and then.

Here is another Bossa Nova gem interpreted by Astrud--"The Face I Love"--music by Marcos Valle and arranged by Eumir Deodato. I associate Deodato's arrangement with the movie Barefoot In the Park. Neil Heft's musical score has a similar vibe to it.

Right you are Mike--it is hard to believe that the most recognizable face and voice of Brazilian music around the world is gone. When I first heard of her passing, my heart dropped. Mike--you have good musical taste, the Astrud performance you posted is terrific, and was also spotlighted by Jazzwax columnist Marc Myers in his Astrud obituary.

Back
Top Bottom