Astrud Gilberto's I HAVEN'T GOT ANYTHING BETTER TO DO

Mr Bill

Gentlemanly Curmudgeon
Staff member
While perusing my favorite local CD shop (Lucky Music, just outside and up the block from the back gate here at the Yokosuka Navy base) I just picked up Astrid Gilberto's I Haven't Got Anything Better To Do LP (on Verve the 1998 Japanese re-issue of a 1968 release)...

I think it's a worthy LP. According to "legend," Herb Alpert got the inspiration for Warm from a visit to Brazil. After listening to this Gilberto release, I'm inclined to think this LP was Herb's single biggest inspiration on that trip. Not only because it contains both "The Sea Is My Soil" (a long favorite among the Moderators here), but Nilsson's "Without Her" (in this case retitled "Without Him.") It also contains "Weeping of the Willow" which would suggest that that particular cut off Lost Treasures quite possibly came from the Warm recording sessions....

Most striking is hearing "Sea" with lyrics. The arrangement is nearly identical with Alpert's, except that what we Herb fans identify as the "LOUD" passages are not so much "loud" as they are "festive." Gilberto's singing (with which I am unfamiliar beyond the oft-compiled "Girl From Ipanema") strikes me as either "Claudine Longet on steroids" or "Lani Hall on Prozac." And I mean those descriptions only in the most positive way.

On "Without Him (Her)" the parts we Herb fans would describe as "loud" are more sudued and the arrangement overall is a bt more "upbeat" than Herb's. Also, comapred to Herb's "mumbling" of the lyrics, it is nice to hear that my decyphering of what Herb was saying is indeed correct when compared to Ms. Gilberto's clear vocals...

All in all a great purchase and I'm sure I'll be buying more Astrud Gilberto before I depart Japan next year...

--Mr Bill

Hey, Mr. Bill --

Thank you-thank you for the info! This release has always been a curiosity, but I've never taken the plunge. Based on the previous release, Windy ['68], I felt her performance had become to "Americanized" for my tastes and limited my purchases to her first 5 US releases (1965-67). The AMG review paints a tantalizing picture of this LP. It was released in FEB69 so it's totally in the pocket for influencing Warm [JUN69].

The CD was in print earlier this year in Japan (for the usual 6 months -- what's up with that?), but is currently unavailable.

Here's the AMG review

With her tenure on Verve drawing to a close, Astrud Gilberto steps further away from her bossa nova roots with I Haven't Got Anything Better to Do, an intimate, nocturnal set closer in scope and spirit to the Baroque pop of Burt Bacharach, whose "Trains and Boats and Planes" is beautifully rendered here. In the liner notes Gilberto dubs it "my fireplace album," and indeed the record is immediately warm and comforting, despite the melancholy that colors all of the selections. Albert Gorgoni's arrangements are sumptuously romantic, perfectly complementing the simple, poignant vocals. Mistakenly considered a minor entry in the Gilberto canon, I Haven't Got Anything Better to Do is instead a minor masterpiece. Each song is ideally suited to her distinctive style and the disc as a whole maintains a consistency of mood and feeling largely unmatched in her catalog.

-James

Bill, I have no doubt that there was only one copy of "I Haven't Got Anything Better To Do" on the shelf, and you took it! Why don't you bring it over to my office and let me listen to it?

Oh, I almost forgot -- welcome back!

Mike

One of my favorite Astrud albums is "A Certain Smile, A Certain Sadness", which she recorded with the Walter Wanderley trio (including our old forum buddy, the late Claudio Slon). It's nice, since there is a notable (and welcome) lack of "overproduction" on this one--it's just the trio and Astrud. Of course, Wanderley himself has an A&M connection, but the song "Portugese Washerwoman" actually shows up on a Baja Marimba Band album. Her version of "So Nice" on this album is by far my favorite.

I need to find this other one Mr Bill found...

Mike said:
Bill, I have no doubt that there was only one copy of "I Haven't Got Anything Better To Do" on the shelf, and you took it! Why don't you bring it over to my office and let me listen to it?

Thanks for the welcome. Yep, there was only one copy at Lucky Records (the shop out the Womble gate). We're underway the next three days (fast cruise tomorrow and really at sea Weds/Thurs). I'll try to swing by Friday. Next week we head out for a couple weeks to freeze up in Sapporo... Sadly we don't have much time in port this year!

--Mr Bill

Mike said:
Bill, I have no doubt that there was only one copy of "I Haven't Got Anything Better To Do" on the shelf, and you took it!

It might have been the only one on the planet - at least the only one that was available for sale.

It's listed as a limited edition and it surely was. It was released in late March of 2007 on CD in Japan, probably the only re-release the album has ever had, based on the sketchy info I've found out about it.

HMV Japan doesn't list it anymore apparently. CD Japan lists it as out-of-print and no longer available. Amazon US lists it as not available, and Dusty Groove lists it as an item for the wish list.

Even LP versions seem rather hard to come by. Gemm had a few listed for a lot of dollars and eBay had precious few listed at all, some very pricey.

Just out of curiosity, I settled for a VG copy on eBay for $16 shipped. Why spent that much on an unheard LP? Well I guess "I Haven't Got Anything Better To Do"!

Harry

The Obi strip on this indicates it's 1998 CD reissue as part of the Verve BOSSA NOVA line. It's on Japanese Polydor stock # POCJ-2667 (original Verve stock #V68776). The booklet is a repro of the original LP and features the title, artist and orig stock# (and the obligatory *stereo*) in small text across the top. Estimating the size I'd say the text was less than a quarter inch high on a 12" LP...

The store I found this in -- thanks to Yokosuka Mike -- tends to carry mostly discontinued CDs, still sealed. They have a small assortment of what's current on the charts in Japan, and a smattering of used vinyl. Plenty of Japanese CD3s, but it's all local stuff with which I am unfamiliar, unless I spend some time looking at local music video channels. That's a story for another time as I HAVE found some goodies in that way -- mostly Japanese bubblegum pop featuring young girls in catholic school girl outfits cavorting with cartoon figures out of a hello kitty store... but I digress.

--Mr Bill

I have a possible lead on a source for the CD. I'll get back on this as soon as I check it out!

This cover is for "I haven't got anything better to do"
4988005463616.jpg

This cover is for "Gilberto with Turrentine"
5099751278924.jpg

Edited to add the second album cover image in response to Seashore's comment about the similar covers.

The CD detective,
Mike

Mike: At first I thought that picture was the cover of Astrud's album with Stanley Turrentine for CTi, Gilberto with Turrentine. Apparently not; just checked Doug Payne's CTi discography.

In any event, I don't think I've heard the album I Haven't Got... by her. I've never been very interested in her work after Beach Samba (1967) and wasn't impressed with September 17, 1969 either.

My favorite Astrud album is A Certain Smile, A Certain Sadness. Walter Wanderley made that album what it is, for the most part.

Also, a recommendation: Could this thread be moved to the Brazilian music forum?

Edit: Thank you!

SeaShorePiiii... said:
...a recommendation: Could this thread be moved to the Brazilian music forum...?

--I second that...! --And wonder why that motion wasn't initially decided...

Dave :blinkeye:

Post clutterer and smiley/color litterer Dave said:
--I second that...! --And wonder why that motion wasn't initially decided...

In my original post I mentioned I wasn't sure whether I should put it in the TJB forum (specifically the Warm thread where I had it) or the Small Circle of Friends thread...

I opted for the TJB forum over OASCOF forum because of:
A-The comparison to Alpert's Warm. ("The Sea Is My Soil" and "Without Him.")
B-The song "Wailing of the Willow" as an indicator that the TJB cut from Lost Treasures may have likely come from the Warm Sessions
C-This album likely was one of the factors influencing the direction of Warm.

That said, I think this belonged foremost in the Warm thread where it started or the Small Circle... forum. So the only thing it seems to ahve that would warrant putting it in the Mendes forum is the fact that both Gilberto and Mendes are Brazilian.

--Mr. Bill

Moderator's note:

Though I appreciate Mr. Bill's original thoughts on placing this thread within the Alpert Forum/WARM thread, it basically belongs in either the Small Circle Of Friends OR Brazilian Forums. To that end, I've placed a shadow copy of the thread in the Small Circle, leaving the original in the Brazilian Forum.

I know that if I were doing a search, I'd look first in Brazilian, since that's what Ms. Gilberto's roots are.

Harry

Moderator's addendum:

I thought about just leaving this in the WARM thread, but it had really drifted away from comparisons to that album so I figured it deserved its own thread. I agree it belonged in the Brazilian forum from the start.

One other good thing about a separate thread: the name can be searched in a title-only search in the forum.

Hey, if you guys move this thread to the Jazz forum, I think it’ll qualify for frequent-flyer miles! :D

Mike

I went to Lucky Records yesterday in the hopes that they had another copy of “I haven’t anything better to do” tucked away in the back somewhere – nope! So, I perused through the Bossa Nova section to see what was left and I picked up “Astrud Gilberto, Girl from Bossa Nova”

4988005337313.jpg

24 tracks of her best hits.

And, I picked up “Jungle”
4988001978534.jpg

This is a 2002 release. The most unusual song on this CD is her 5:14 long, disco like version of “The Look of Love”.

Anyway, it is starting to look like Mr. Bill did get the last off-the-shelf copy of “I haven’t anything better to do” on the planet. All my other leads are petering out.

Mike
A less than successful CD detective

Yokosuka Mike made me laugh out loud when he said:
Hey, if you guys move this thread to the Jazz forum, I think it’ll qualify for frequent-flyer miles!

In an almost successful bid to make Mr. Bill cry said:
Moderator's note:

Though I appreciate Mr. Bill's original thoughts on placing this thread within the Alpert Forum/WARM thread, it basically belongs in either the Small Circle Of Friends OR Brazilian Forums. To that end, I've placed a shadow copy of the thread in the Small Circle, leaving the original in the Brazilian Forum.

I know that if I were doing a search, I'd look first in Brazilian, since that's what Ms. Gilberto's roots are.

Ouch! Harry spanks harder than my dad used to. :laugh: At least Harry didn't make me cut my own switch.

--Mr Bill
pointing out that this proves the Mods aren't all of one mind ruling with an iron fist... though one more krayola crap post and I'll...

Back at home after the Disney vacation, I found my LP copy of I HAVEN'T GOT ANYTHING BETTER TO DO waiting for me in the mail.

It's in pretty nice shape, with the original innersleeve and black & silver Verve label. At this point I've not listened to more than a few seconds of it just to judge the overall condition of the vinyl.

51RjrH95pgL._SS500_.jpg

The back cover has some lengthy liner notes written by George T. Simon, and has full musician credits which I'll attempt to list here:

Side One
I Haven't Got Anything
Better To Do.......................2:55
Didn't We?..........................2:52
Wailing Of The Willow*.......2:11
Where's The Love?*...........2:18
The Sea Is My Soil*
(I Remember When)...........3:27

Side Two
Trains And Boats And
Planes................................2:46
World Stop Turning............2:14
Without Him*.....................4:30
Wee Small Hours................2:15
If (The Biggest Little
Word)*..............................2:34

All compositions ASCAP except (*) BMI

PRODUCED BY
BROOKS ARTHUR

ARRANGED AND
CONDUCTED BY
ALBERT GORGONI

Recorded in New York City at Century
Sound Recording Studios
Engineer: Brooks Arthur
Recordist: Jay Tropp
Production Assistant: Barbara Norris
Director of Engineering: Val Valentin
Photography: Joel Brodsky
Art Direction: David E. Krieger

A Product Of Commonwealth United
Music

PERSONNEL
Trombone: Wayne André/Mickey Gra-
vine/Alan Rath (bass trombone)/Tony
Studd

Trumpet: Burt Collins/John Glasel/
Irvin Markovitz

Saxophone: Art Kaplan

Violin: Ben Blumenreich/Lewis Eley/
Joe Haber/Lew Haber/Harry Lookof-
sky/Matthew Raimondi/Tosha Sama-
roff/Irving Spice/Louis Stone

Viola: Seymour Berman/David Saxon

Cello: Maurice Bialkin/Seymour Barab

Harp: Eugene Bianco

Drums: Gary Chester

Percussion: David Carey/George Dev-
ens/Aiuto Morgira/Joe Venuto

Guitar: Sam Brown/Albert Gorgoni

Bass: Richard Davis/George Duvivier

Keyboards: Stan Free/Frank Owens/
Paul Griffin

Manufactured by MGM Records Division
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc., 1350 Avenue
of the Americas, New York, N.Y. 10019

Composer credits (from the label)

Side One
1. I HAVEN'T GOT ANYTHING BETTER TO DO (Vance-Pockriss)
2. DIDN'T WE? (Webb)
3. WAILING OF THE WILLOW (Nilsson)
4. WHERE'S THE LOVE? (Weinstein-Legrand)
5. THE SEA IS MY SOIL(I REMEMBER WHEN) (Caymmi-Moita--English lyrics by Udell)

Side Two
1. TRAINS AND BOATS AND PLANES (Bacharach-David)
2. WORLD STOP TURNING (Charlap-Udell)
3. WITHOUT HIM (Nilsson)
4. WEE SMALL HOURS (Hilliard-Mann)
5. IF(THE BIGGEST LITTLE WORD) (Udell-Sherman)

Harry

Mr Bill said:
Most striking is hearing "Sea" with lyrics. The arrangement is nearly identical with Alpert's, except that what we Herb fans identify as the "LOUD" passages are not so much "loud" as they are "festive."

Now that I've had a chance to listen to the LP, I'd have to clarify Mr. Bill's statement to say that the "loud" parts are sort of a cross between the way Sergio Mendes did the song on both MY FAVORITE THINGS and HORIZONTE ABERTO, with a bit more of the "festive" activities - hand claps, etc.

Mr Bill said:
Gilberto's singing (with which I am unfamiliar beyond the oft-compiled "Girl From Ipanema") strikes me as either "Claudine Longet on steroids" or "Lani Hall on Prozac." And I mean those descriptions only in the most positive way.

That's actually a pretty good description. A few times as I listened to the album, I had a thought that it sounded like Claudine with the soft, whispery vocals that occasionally are ever-so-slightly off key.

Mr Bill said:
On "Without Him (Her)" the parts we Herb fans would describe as "loud" are more sudued and the arrangement overall is a bit more "upbeat" than Herb's. Also, comapred to Herb's "mumbling" of the lyrics, it is nice to hear that my decyphering of what Herb was saying is indeed correct when compared to Ms. Gilberto's clear vocals...

This track ("Without Him") takes quite an unusual approach. For the first 0:56, the first verse of the song is done as a ballad with a guitar and bass; strings entering lightly. At 0:56, the strings crescendo to what sounds like the end of the recording. At about 1:07, the track disappears for a second or so and comes back as a different arrangement, now with percussion and more akin to the tempo that Herb did the song. The "loud" parts are handled by a jazzy brass section.

This arrangement continues through to about 3:21 with another full fade-out to silence for another second or so. The song then returns at 3:23 with the first ballad arrangement to the end of the track at 4:30 with the same string section crescendo and fade-out. If this track had been one that got radio play, it would have driven the DJ's insane with those two full fade-outs before the track is really over!

Harry

Well, I got lucky and found the CD at a record shop called "Sunny's Music" in downtown Yokosuka. I'm glad Harry filled us in on the full-stops on "Without Him (Her)"; it really took me by surprise when it happened.

Mike

P.S. to Mr. Bill: I'll show you where "Sunny's" is next time we get together for a music shopping trip.

Yesterday when I picked up “I haven’t got anything better to do”, next to it on the shelf was “Astrud Gilberto/September 17, 1969” – so I bought it too! The track list started with “Beginnings”, and the title didn’t register with me as anything I was familiar with. Well, this morning when I played it I almost fell off my chair when it turned out to be Chicago’s song “Beginnings”. I never, ever expected that on an Astrud Gilberto album. Strangely enough, she actually pulls it off quite decently (IMHO, etc…).

Anyway, I just thought I’d share my experience with everyone.

Life is full of surprises!
Mike

Back
Top Bottom