Astrud Gilberto's I HAVEN'T GOT ANYTHING BETTER TO DO

HMV in Japan has sound samples up for Astrud Gilberto's I HAVEN'T GOT ANYTHING BETTER TO DO.

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/2514537

I thought I'd post that here for those who might be curious about the album that might possibly have been a big influence on Herb Alpert's WARM.

Harry

My copy of the newly issued CD arrived today from Japan, UCCU-9359 is a standard jewel-case issue (with OBI of course). Disc label mimcs the old Verve Records label and the full back cover is replicated in the booklet. Inside the booklet are a tracklisting and some Japanese-only liner notes.

The front sticker on the cellophane indicates that this is part of a 50th anniversary of the bossa nova series. The OBI mentions that it's a 24bit/96kHz mastering.

I've only given a quick listen to the opening track - sounds great so far.

Harry

Just got mine last week (along with a CD copy of Windy)... No doubt about it, if the timelines are correct it would appear that Herb heavily borrowed (i.e., "lifted") the Al Gorgoni arrangement of Sea Is My Soil...

I just stumbled onto the Amazon page for this CD from 2008, now out-of-print, and someone from Japan is selling it for $2,339.00! Even the few LP's on eBay seem pricey. Glad I got it when I did.

Harry

An interesting fact about Astrud's "I Haven't Got Anything Better To Do"-it was never issued on CD in the US,but major portions of the album were included on several Astrud compilations,including the title track.

You could get most of that album on Finest Hour,Astrud For Lovers and Gold-and probably spend less money than the Japanese import.

Not a bad album,but not as good as her earlier Verve albums.

Astrud's catalog brings to life a lot of 1960's pop hits, not unlike that of Sergio's female singers...! Or perhaps the Walter Wanderley Set's material, sung out w/ that kind passion and grace (which Paul Desmond's From The Hot Afternoon occasionally gave us!)...

-- Dave

The 2007/2008 "limited edition" CD of I HAVEN'T GOT ANYTHING BETTER TO DO by Astrud Gilberto (UCCU-9359) continues to be very pricey in the marketplace, but it also appears that there was a 2016 card-sleeve mini-LP CD released in 2016. I just stumbled on one from a French seller for $25 or so, plus about $7 international shipping. If you look closely at the back cover you can see a 2016 copyright date from UMG.

Listening to the album this morning - it's perfect for a sleepy Sunday morning.

HDTracks seems to have a few of her albums, including this one. I have Beach Samba on the headphones currently.

Strange thing about The Astrud Gilberto Album though. I've heard a couple of versions (even the SACD) that have distortion on a couple of tracks. Not sure if it's on the original LP since I don't have one.

Back
Top Bottom