Audiophile

Song4uman

I just listened to my new Singles 69-73 without headphones.
It truly is incredible.

a couple of questions for those who are in the know.

1. What exactly makes it audiophile?

2. Is there remastering or alternate takes used? I felt some things sounded different.

3. Did any other carpenters album come in audiophile versions?

thanks!
Jonathan

I just listened to my new Singles 69-73 without headphones.
It truly is incredible.

a couple of questions for those who are in the know.

1. What exactly makes it audiophile?

2. Is there remastering or alternate takes used? I felt some things sounded different.

3. Did any other carpenters album come in audiophile versions?

thanks!
Jonathan
I’m assuming this is the 1980 LP you are referring to? This is possible a scarce copy from Canada the was mastered at half-speed and pressed at the same plant in Japan that Mobile Fidelity used. Also, it most likely used virgin vinyl whereas the regular issues of the time was pressed on recycled vinyl, and half-speed mastering sounded best on virgin.

Apparently all the Carpenters albums from 1969 to 1978 (possible Eve the Singles 74-78 got a release on the Audiophile label, as it was released in Canada, but they are scarce.)

I believe that Jonathan just received a copy of the AUDIOPHILE series release of SINGLES 1969-1973. It was indeed made by A&M of Canada.
1631829825125.png

There were other albums made in the series, but no other Carpenters records that I know of. Herb Alpert had his RISE and GREATEST HITS issued on that series. Other were Cat Stevens, Supertramp, etc.

I believe that Jonathan just received a copy of the AUDIOPHILE series release of SINGLES 1969-1973. It was indeed made by A&M of Canada.
1631829825125.png

There were other albums made in the series, but no other Carpenters records that I know of. Herb Alpert had his RISE and GREATEST HITS issued on that series. Other were Cat Stevens, Supertramp, etc.

Yes. 1980. A&M audiophile
Canada

I sounds great.

An audiophile is simply someone whose hobby is high fidelity sound.

The big deal with this series was that they were pressed at Victor in Japan on virgin vinyl, the same facility that cut Mobile Fidelity's records back in the day (with some of the same mastering engineers). Basically, just cleaner versions of albums, pressed on good vinyl. Nothing special, really, but many were better than the standard copies in terms of background noise. An interesting series but nothing I'd go out of my way to collect. A&M was just cashing in on the fad started by Mobile Fidelity, Superdisk, etc. (Just avoid Columbia's "Masterdisk" LPs since most of those were improperly equalized and sound horrible. Don't ask how I know this...)

My audiophile LP of Carpenters Singles sounds incredible. It’s one of my favorite vinyl pressings of Carpenters. I don’t pull it out often but when I do the clarity is breathtaking to hear.

An explanation of half-speed mastering was posted here a while ago:

Back
Top Bottom