• The Tower (Neto)
  • O Peixe (Traut)
  • Quiet Nights (Jobim)
  • Só Danço Samba (Jobim/de Moraes)
  • Insensatez (Jobim/de Moraes)
  • Amor Em Paz (Jobim/de Moraes)
  • Infinity (Pike)
  • Abraço a Sergio (Higgins)

This is perhaps the rarest of Sergio Mendes albums. It is the only one not yet released on CD. Most accounts I've read mention that the album was recorded in 1963 or 1964, but was not released until 1967. One story has it that this music was recorded for the Seeburg jukebox company for background music, and it was released in 1967, following Sergio's A&M success, without his knowledge.

In addition, the personnel at this recording session were not well documented. We know Sergio Mendes was on piano, and most likely Sebastiao Neto on bass. Dave Pike played vibes on most tracks, although producer Eddie Higgins played on "Insensatez" since Pike was unfamiliar with the song. The drummer may be Chico Batera or Edison Machado; the guitarist is still a mystery, although some have speculated it could be Rosinha da Valencia (who was recording with Sergio on the Brasil '65 album), Oscar Castr-Neves, or even Tom Jobim.

The music on this album is similar to Dance Moderno and his other pre-A&M recordings (Bossa Nova and jazz). In fact, the opening vamp to "One Note Samba" and other piano embellishments will sound very familiar to those who remember Sergio's Brasil '66 version.

If anyone can confirm details on this rare recording, feel free to comment below.

The first time I heard this album, I almost fell off my chair when I heard the opening to "One Note Samba". It's sonically identical to the sound heard on the later A&M version.

The following credits come from an auction on eBay of a needledrop. Take them for what they're worth:

Sérgio Mendes - piano
Dave Pike - vibes
Eddie Higgins - vibes (on "Insensatez")
Edison Machado - drums
Sebastião Neto - bass
Rosinha de Valença - guitar

Recorded in 1963 in New York

Harry

This is a lovely little album. I quizzed Sergio about it quite a bit, he did remember it was done in NYC, but had little memory of the session players, though he said in passing it probably was his Bossa Rio sidemen (his group, not the later group).

JMK said:
This is a lovely little album.

I've only started listening to the early Mendes albums recently, and I agree--this is a nice one among the others. I know that when I first listened to the In A Brazilan Bag album 30 or more years ago, I really liked that format (which surprised me, since I grew up with the first four Brasil '66 albums). I'm glad I've discovered more in that basic style (jazz/bossa nova), as I rank it right up there with his Brasil '66/'77 recordings. One thing I notice on these earlier albums is how accomplished his piano style was, even back then. Granted, the Brasil '66/'77 era was more pop-based and wouldn't feature that much piano, but it's an eye opener to hear just how good a pianist he is.

JMK said:
I quizzed Sergio about it quite a bit, he did remember it was done in NYC, but had little memory of the session players, though he said in passing it probably was his Bossa Rio sidemen (his group, not the later group).

I've found a couple of other sources online that pretty much line up with what Harry posted above. But it's understandable that someone who has recorded so many albums probably can't recall all the details. I just wish we had access to the logs for the studio in NYC--it'd be interesting to see who sat in on those sessions.

JMK said:
This is a lovely little album. I quizzed Sergio about it quite a bit, he did remember it was done in NYC, but had little memory of the session players, though he said in passing it probably was his Bossa Rio sidemen (his group, not the later group).

I have come across this album on p2p networks credited to 'Bossa Rio Sextet' as well. By no means is that any standard of accuracy, but it is reflective of the confusion even amonst hardcore fans (as most could be considered to be in possession of even an electronic version of this album).

And allow me to share the back cover........

quietnightsback_thumb.jpg

here is the full resolution copy..... (1400x1412)
http://www.satan165.com/quietnightsback.jpg

satan165 said:
I have come across this album on p2p networks credited to 'Bossa Rio Sextet' as well.

I may have to expand my searches to include that angle. When Sergio recorded with Cannonball Adderley, it was credited to the Bossa Rio Sextet.

Even more confusing is the totally different Bossa Rio group that Sergio produced...I can see why anyone just getting into Sergio Mendes might be confused!

BTW, I've been spinning both the A&M and Blue Thumb Bossa Rio albums. I really like their take on the Brazilian songs on those. "Boa Palavra" is one song I can't get out of my head now. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom