AXPONA 2020

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
I had planned to go to AXPONA in April, but got word today it was rescheduled to August 7-9, 2020, the only available weekend at the Renaissance Schaumburg that they could move the event to. (Thank you, COVID-19.) That makes it somewhat close to Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) which I had also considered attending the weekend after Labor Day. I guess we'll see what plays out.

Any Lemons races at RMAF?
No, but maybe limes...in my cocktails. 😁

The one good thing happening is that the show will not fall on the same weekend as Record Store Day--my Chicago pals always bailed for the record stores on Saturday. I figure I can go record shopping the other 364 days of the year, and most of the time there is nothing I want anyways.

Much drama, it seems...

The date was first postponed from mid-April to early August. But due to pressure from a growing list of exhibitors, they have cancelled the show until 2021. Attendees can get a refund, or roll over their tickets to next year's show, with a free companion ticket. Exhibitors, though, cannot get a refund--50% of their payment will go to 2021's show (assuming there is a 2021 show), with 25% going towards 2022 and 2023. (The event organizer has taken a bath on it, in other words.) Many exhibitors want the company to make them whole and refund the money, despite the contract saying otherwise. It could be a messy battle ahead.

Made me wonder what happened to Record Store Day. It has been rescheduled, too. Now it will be happening with special releases on Saturdays in August, September, and October.

Made me wonder what happened to Record Store Day. It has been rescheduled, too. Now it will be happening with special releases on Saturdays in August, September, and October.
Yep, they had first rescheduled to June, now they have a release schedule across three different months. I really don't see how that will help with any "distancing" measures since they will now have three feeding frenzy days vs. just one. I'm all for supporting the mom and pop stores but am still opposed to the money grab that RSD has become.

The thing about record stores is that it’s fun to browse. Ordering something and driving up to get it kinda kills the vibe. You need to go in and look.

The thing about record stores is that it’s fun to browse. Ordering something and driving up to get it kinda kills the vibe. You need to go in and look.
Exactly. And what's sad about Record Store Day is that the stores are so crowded and the lines so long that you can't even enjoy browsing the rest of their stock. If I can only drive up and pick up my order, why bother? I'll just order somewhere else online.

Back
Top Bottom