Baby It's You

Mark-T

Yesterday, the RPO version came on, and I have to say, I really enjoyed the differences between the original and the newer version. It remains a favorite to this day. I never understood (other than timing) why it wasn't a single. Seems to be like Let Me Be the One: the single that got away. In fact, I would dare say that it's placement as the opening of Side Two on the Close to You album shows how strong a cut it is. Anyone else out there love this song? If so, why?

I hope more album cuts appear on RPO 2. Could he be recording the album now for release this year?

There is another song that I have really grown to love more with the RPO treatment. “We’ve Only Just Begun” when the strings come in right after Karen sings, sharing horizons that are new to us...then those strings come in ahhh love it. It makes the song feel so alive and new. I prefer the RPO over the original.

I just like the way that it sounds better with more orchestration. I discovered the song the same day i found the original so i like both versions.

Rick, I like the new WOJB as well, BUT the choral part right before the songs begins is a misstep for me. In this case, it seems to distract from the simple (but truly complex) beauty of the song.

Rick, I like the new WOJB as well, BUT the choral part right before the songs begins is a misstep for me. In this case, it seems to distract from the simple (but truly complex) beauty of the song.
I agree about the intro, whenever I get around to ripping the vinyl I may try to edit that part out.

I agree that Baby Its You is a very strong track. I think its one of Karen's most passionate vocals, if not her most passionate.

Yes, its a hit that got away, like Let Me Be The One. This just shows how many good choices for single they had off those two albums. It's a good problem to have.:)

I first heard “Baby It’s You” on the 1978 “The Carpenters Collection”. Disc 1 Band 5. Apparently it was one of their “22 Original Hits” here in Canada! Apparently it was the B-side of “For All We Know” in Japan, but I’ve never heard of it being on 45 here in Canada! Or did Canada do it’s own single and there’s a really rare “Baby It’s You” Canadian 45 out there?

It's one of those songs that Richard and Karen took and made their own. They were able to add a sense of drama to the song, starting off so quietly and building slowly to an intense musical climax, it's a Carpenters classic, it's up there as one of my favourites. As for the RPO version, I'm just so grateful Richard decided to revisit this song and add some amazing orchestral additions.

I’ve loved ‘Baby It’s You’ since getting the album for Christmas in 1970 at age 8. It’s a classic!

‘Baby it’s You’ shows off its strengths as a song when you hear the myriad ways it’s been interpreted by other artists. The Shirelles, Beatles, Smith and Carpenters all make it their own and the arrangements are very different from one another. And they all work! That’s a sign of a killer song right there.

Back
Top Bottom