Baja Marimba Band Fresh Air CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvorzimmer

I'm not sure if this is the album on CD or another "Best of". But a "Fresh Air" is coming out on CD in Japan in May.

Jeff

Fabulous news, thanks! Here's the HMV Japan page:

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail.asp?sku=1372951

Looks like the original album to me...

By the way, that May 17th date is also listed for another bunch of Sergio Mendes re-issues, the last time I checked.

I wonder if there's any other A&M classic product in the Japanese pipeline?

Harry

A Japanese friend of mine did some digging and according to her, it is a reissue of the original LP, “Fresh Air”, not a compilation. She checked several other websites, and there isn’t much more information available other than the release date and price. The Asahi Record’s website did list the 10 tracks that will be on the CD, which are the same as the LP. Universal Record’s Japanese site hasn’t provided any info on this CD yet, but as soon as something is out there I’ll bring it to the forum’s attention.

Mike

Track list from FRESH AIR:

Cielito Lindo 2:40
Wave 3:16
I'll Marimba You 2:11
I Don't Want To Walk Without You 2:43
Fresh Air 2:05
Eleanor Rigby 2:30
The Windmills Of Your Mind 3:06
Samba Nuevo 1:59
Here 2:50
Madagascar 2:37

The opening tune and "I'll Marimba You" along with the title track are some of my all time favorite BMB songs. Now, hopefully they'll followup with DO YOU KNOW THE WAY TO SAN JOSE and especially, THOSE WERE THE DAYS. :thumbsup:

The band did a great arrangement of Hey Jude on TV at about the same time this was issued. It might have been The Hollywood Palace. Was Don Knotts the host? I sure wish they'd do a bonus track of this.

Aside from Fowl Play, it was my favorite BMB album cover. I'd like to have posters of them!

Only 2190 Yen! They're givin 'em away!

bob knack said:
The band did a great arrangement of Hey Jude on TV at about the same time this was issued. It might have been The Hollywood Palace. Was Don Knotts the host? I sure wish they'd do a bonus track of this.

Aside from Fowl Play, it was my favorite BMB album cover. I'd like to have posters of them!

Only 2190 Yen! They're givin 'em away!

Shipping from Japan is a killer though--I know Amazon will ship via the postal service, but I think HMV tries to ship FedEx, which costs a small fortune. $24.99 for buying it through Amazon US is a good deal; add on one more CD and shipping is free.

I always look for the CDs on Amazon US or Amazon Japan. If I can find an ASIN number in one store, I can usually search for it in the other. I just lucked out and tried Amazon US and they have it listed for a preorder. Since the price is almost reasonable, I may go for it. :thumbsup:

I remember when this first came out, I thought, "Only ten songs, they're really getting cheap." Otherwise, this is a very good album with Julius playing more vibes than before. It was the last album the boys did together. I was pretty bummed when they broke up. I had to wait about twelve years to see them "live" again.

sp4200.jpg

Six of the ten songs on FRESH AIR will be making their CD debut, so even if you have all of the odd compilations that have come along in recent years, 60% of the album will be digitally new:

Cielito Lindo 2:40
*Wave 3:16
I'll Marimba You 2:11
I Don't Want To Walk Without You 2:43
*Fresh Air 2:05
Eleanor Rigby 2:30
*The Windmills Of Your Mind 3:06
*Samba Nuevo 1:59
*Here 2:50
*Madagascar 2:37

*new on CD

"I'll Marimba You" appeared previously on both the Japanese BEST and the Collectors Choice disc. "Eleanor Rigby" was on that Japanese BEST disc along with the Timeless Music 3-CD compilation. The Timeless Music compilation also brought us "Celito Lindo" and "I Don't Want To Walk Without You."

I'm looking forward to this one.

Harry

I just placed my order for this one - it's due out next week in Japan. I used CD Japan for my order, since I had a couple hundred of their frequent buyers points from other orders. That saved a couple of bucks anyway. They've been reliable for getting stuff from Japan to the US before.

I'm still amazed that this one is actually being released!

Harry

I went to Yokohama today and picked up "Fresh Air". It's nicely packaged and to my ear, it sounds great!

Listening to "Wave" now.

All the best,
Mike

How does one go about re-releasing something like this?

How do you get the master? What do they cost?

Do you have to go elsewhere to get rights to the original artwork?

Does the whole band and the estates get separate royalties?

As much as I love the BMB, does it make economic sense to release a ten song record and charge 23 bucks or so for it? Who's buying?

Any of you guys out there ever in the re-release biz?

Well in this case the masters are owned by Universal Music.

Anyone who wants to license a song or an album has to negotiate with the owner of the masters. The fees can vary wildly -- if the record you want is a classic, it'd cost millions of dollars. A less popular record would be a lot cheaper.

Something like this BMB CD would probably be fairly low on the price scale. The real mystery to me is why they would be reissuing THIS album when there are many other BMB records that were far better sellers back in the day. This could be a trial balloon -- if it sells well, others may follow.

In Japan you never know....maybe one tune has become popular there or something.

I ordered a copy.

It's Julius and the BMB. It doesn't matter what it costs!

Harry

I bought this when it came out on record. I think a new LP back then could be had for $2.75. (A bleacher seat at Wrigley was about a buck and a quarter) People wonder why I pine for the good old days.

A trial balloon would fly much easier without the weight of the high price.

Universal seems to have everybody's masters now. I'd sure like to know what the budget is for something like this. If it was within reason, I might take a shot at putting out something myself as a hobby kind of thing.

Mike Blakesley said:
Well in this case the masters are owned by Universal Music.

Anyone who wants to license a song or an album has to negotiate with the owner of the masters. The fees can vary wildly -- if the record you want is a classic, it'd cost millions of dollars. A less popular record would be a lot cheaper.

Something like this BMB CD would probably be fairly low on the price scale. The real mystery to me is why they would be reissuing THIS album when there are many other BMB records that were far better sellers back in the day. This could be a trial balloon -- if it sells well, others may follow.

In Japan you never know....maybe one tune has become popular there or something.

Mike,

In 1992, I spoke to Julius about that very subject, as I myself had an interest in doing it at the time, CDs were relatively new. He said he really didn't know the particulars (seemed to not care either, lol), but wished me luck in the persuit. I didn't follow through, I might have if Julius was into it. He btw, was one of the nicest people I have had the good fortune to meet in my life...

:)

I spoke to Julius on the phone not long before he passed and I got the same impression. He said something like, Yeah I should call Sony about that, when I asked him why nothing had been put out on CD.

bob knack said:
I spoke to Julius on the phone not long before he passed and I got the same impression. He said something like, Yeah I should call Sony about that, when I asked him why nothing had been put out on CD.

I cannot wait to see this CD. Could this be the first of several????

This could be good since I'll be living in Japan in 2007 & 8!!! Mike -- we gotta meet up this time!

--Mr Bill
USS Blue Ridge bound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom