Baja Marimba Band Fresh Air CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the session note copies that I have seen indicate that The Baja Marimba Band recorded The Lonely Bull during the For Animals Only album sessions.

Mr Bill said:
This could be good since I'll be living in Japan in 2007 & 8!!! Mike -- we gotta meet up this time!

--Mr Bill
USS Blue Ridge bound

Bill, I’m looking forward to the opportunity of meeting you.

The Blue Ridge is the Flag Ship... you’d best bring new uniforms, they like everyone to look real pretty on there! :laugh:

Regards,
Mike

For what it’s worth department:

Fresh Air is in a jewel case, not the usual paper sleeve the Japanese are so fond of.

The front of the CD (which is the front of liner notes booklet) is a very clean reproduction of the original album cover, complete with A&M logo. The back of the booklet is a reproduction of the back of the album.

The liner notes are in Japanese with the exception of the BMB discography.

The back of the jewel case has a listing of the songs and the logo for the series of CDs that this CD was issued with; the “Finger Snapping Music” series. So far there are 10 CDs in this series; none of the other nine are BMB CDs.

The CD itself is a kind of bright ocher color and resembles the label on the original vinyl LP. It has the album title, song list, A&M logo and includes the designation “SP-4200”.

The sound: I’m not as technical as some of the other contributors here, I don’t listen with headphones and pick things apart, I don’t know the first thing about compression… all I know is that it sounds great to me.

My pick for standout song: “The Windmills of Your Mind”. Julius Wechter’s playing just blows me away on this song.

Well, that’s my two cents.

Regards,
Mike

So, I guess CD Japan wasn't a good choice for ordering this. I thought something was up when I hadn't gotten a "shipping" email yet. Today I got this:

Hi. Thank you for shopping at CDJapan.

We have just received an update on availability
from the distributor.

The following item(s) is in temporary shortage.

It is estimated to become available in the span
of time shown below from now.

3-6 business days
================================
UCCU-3030 Fresh Air CDA 2190Yen ================================

You can view the updated order status by
signing into Customer Account.

Order Number:mad:xxxxxxxxxx

Also in the Customer Account, you can
have items shipped separately by clicking
on "Ship Items Separately."

*There will be separate shipping charges for
shipping items separately.

In case we receive a further update, we will
let you know again.

For general information on availability, please
visit the following page of our website: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/help/ordering.html#4

Thank you for your patience.
CDJapan
www.cdjapan.co.jp

HMV in Japan lists the title as "in stock". Curious.

Harry

Unless the price drops and it appears in these parts, I won't get it. I'll look for the vinyl. I've learned my lesson when it comes to imports. I received Walter Wanderley's Moondreams on imported CD as a Christmas gift one year. Now the album is available domestically through iTunes, as is When it was Done. Maybe not everyone is able to avail himself of iTunes (for whatever reason; I stopped when they refused to let me regain my library of purchased music after my hard-drive was wiped), but I'd rather spend $11.99 on an iTunes downloaded album, rip it to CD, than spend $30+ on an import.

I'll stick with my vinyl copy. I can do a needle drop in a short amount of time if I really want it on CD. :thumbsup:

I'd rather spend $11.99 on an iTunes downloaded album, rip it to CD, than spend $30+ on an import.

Not me. The official CD wins every time for a lot of reasons.

- Packaging. You get better artwork (usually at least a reproduction of the complete album cover) and often much more goodies. iTunes gives you nothing except the front cover, if that.

- Sound. iTunes sounds good, but it's compressed and does not offer the dynamic range of CD.

- Durability/value. A CD-R is not as durable as a regular CD, and you have to provide your own media, jewelbox or other storage, and print your own artwork. (Covers are important to me -- I realize many people just toss 'em out.)

I got my FRESH AIR from HMV Japan and it's still enroute, but (according to the tracking system) it's in the US now so I should have it in the next couple of days.

I cancelled my order at CD Japan because of the same e-mail delay notice and promptly placed a new order at HMV, where they indicate this CD is in stock!

seashorepiano said:
...I'd rather spend $11.99 on an iTunes downloaded album, rip it to CD, than spend $30+ on an import.

Not me! I'd rather have a physical disc, jewel case and booklet with track info/liner notes than to have a stream of 1's and 0's fed to my computer...

--Mr Bill

What a world, eh? On April 4, there seemed to be no hope of this great album EVER coming out on CD, but now it's right here in my hands. Harry, did you ever get yours?

Can't really add anything to what Japan Mike said above about the description, but it sounds great to me, too. It's a treat to have "Samba Nuevo" and "Fresh Air" on CD after all this time.

I'm glad they included the band's discography in the notes...could mean they are considering releaseing more of the albums. I hope so.

Too bad Julius isn't around to see this happening. I think the attention here would have pleased him. Hopefully Cissy is following along (and has gotten a copy of the disk!)

I really wanted to be one of the early ones to get this, but CD Japan had other ideas, I guess. Oh well - I've waited almost forty years - what's another week or so?

Currently it's listed as in the shipping process, so I guess someone finally went up the street to the HMV and bought one!

Harry

“Fresh Air” was released on the 17th in Japan, and I went to HMV in Yokohama on the 18th to buy it, but they didn’t have it yet. So, I went to another record shop and they did have it – no problem. A week later I was back in HMV because I wanted to pick up “Eivets Rednow”, and I found that they still didn’t have “Fresh Air”. So, I went to Tower Records to see if they had it – heck! As soon as I entered the store it was right there, featured in a display rack with the other CDs in the “Finger Snapping Music” series. Furthermore, they were selling fast!

The short of all this is… I’m disappointed with HMV’s service.

By-the-way, I bought my copy of “Fresh Air” at the Shinseido music store. It’s a smaller chain of stores than HMV, but they have good service. Unfortunately, their website is not English friendly.

http://www.shinseido.co.jp/

I get the feeling that ordering early was the key here. I put my order in on April 5, same day the release was announced here, and had my copy on May 19, 2 days after the (announced) release date. Maybe they ran out of stock in the intial wave of orders.

Mike said:
By-the-way, I bought my copy of “Fresh Air” at the Shinseido music store. It’s a smaller chain of stores than HMV, but they have good service. Unfortunately, their website is not English friendly.

http://www.shinseido.co.jp/

That's where I got many of my Japanese A&Ms when I was there last. VERY helpful -- All I had to do was bring them a print out of a page off any Japanese music site (Tower, HMV, etc) and they immediately ordered it right there on the spot for me.

--Mr Bill
looking forward to seeing all the Japanese schoolgirls in their catholic schoolgirl get-ups and legwarmers!

I just got notice that CD Japan has finally shipped my BMB disc. It's a week-and-a-day late, but at least I'll own a copy.

Harry

Mike said:

Mike--can you tell if they sell SACDs there? Japan market SACDs are big among audiophiles here. For instance, they have a lot of Miles Davis product that will never see release here.

I eagerly opened my express mail package from HMV and couldn't wait to get the CD in my player, only to find they shipped me the wrong CD! Who the hell is the James Dickenson Trio??? :mad:

Gee, Steve, it sounds like you and I aren't having much luck with getting this Baja Mirimba Band release...

Mine will probably arrive from CD Japan sometime next week, after the holiday.

I noticed that Dusty Groove had it listed too, but out of stock when I checked.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom