BAJA MARIMBA BAND LIVE IN CONCERT

lj

Here is a wonderful show with the BMB from 1980. Julius Wechter created an entirely unique sound, as it was leveraged off the marimba and flute. And it worked fabulously. And, for me, the BMB music had the happiest sound around in their heyday. It just made you feel good. RIP Julius.

One of the BMB best known tunes opens this concert--Comin in the Back Door. The 1964 single release was arranged by Herb and Julius. I love the arrangement's use of the female background vocalist. Another recording that had a sexy female background vocalist was on "The Disadvantages of You" by Phil Bodner and the Brass RIng from 1967. I love her "la la la's" in the background. Wish I knew her name. This song was used for the Benson & Hedges cigarette commercial. Back in the 1960's commercials used the loveliest and catchiest melodies. The "Disadvantages of You" was written by Mitch Leigh who wrote the music for the 1965 Broadway smash hit The Man of La Mancha, which had the musical standard "The Impossible Dream." Interestingly, apart from this Broadway show, Leigh was best know among his musical colleagues (and unknown to general public) as being a top musical writer for commercial ads. He never again had a Broadway hit.

There were a number of tunes back in the sixties where an uncredited female voice soared above the arrangement, from the theme to STAR TREK to one we DO know the name of with the Sandpipers: Pamela Ramcier, That's her on the chorus and the "why, why, why" part on "Let Go".

Harry--thanks for pointing out the name of Pamela Ramcier. Her singing adds a special dimension to special song--the very best of the Sandpipers. Composed by the world famous Baden Powell and with an arrangement by the incomparable Nick De Caro--how can you have nothing but excellence?

Here is another song with a super un-credited background female vocalist on "No Matter What Shape" from 1965 by the T-Bones. Here is another instance where catchy music in the '60s was used for a TV commercial--for Alka Seltzer.

Back
Top Bottom