Baja Marimba Band - Portrait In Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

I just got the Rondor release of the BMB called I'll Marimba You - A Portrait In Music. At first glance I thought "Cool! They even have "Brasilia" on CD at last!". But when I put it on, I've found that most of these tunes are from vinyl! You can hear some light scratches and clicks throughout the whole thing. I'm wondering why they didn't even try to use any master tapes on this? You can tell that the songs were tweaked a bit, with some crisp highs throughout, but this sounds more like a decent CD-R instead of a digital remastering job. No wonder I was the only to bid on this at eBay! :|

Capt. Bacardi
...dejected online...

That package appeared about two years ago on eBay, and the bidding was fierce. I have a printout that I happened to save, just because it was so unique. It had a track list, and there was a scan of the cover and the disc. This printout is dated 1/23/00, the item had 5 days left to go, and someone named "themundt (10)" had the highest bid at the time at $102.50. I seem to recall it got higher than that at the end.

My final recollection of this was that someone here at the Corner ended up with it, and posted that it sounded like it was mastered from an LP. From that point on I knew to steer clear of it, unless the price was VERY reasonable.

At least you didn't get totally hosed on it if you were the only bidder! :)

Harry
NP: NOCHE DE AMOR, Herb Alpert, MY eBay prize for the day

Harry said:
At least you didn't get totally hosed on it if you were the only bidder! :)

Unlike my experience with the Herb Alpert Potrait In Music, eh? (I thought I'd beat you to the punch on that one. :)

NP: NOCHE DE AMOR, Herb Alpert, MY eBay prize for the day

So you finally scored a copy? About time! :laugh:

Capt. Bacardi

Yep, finally got my very own vinyl of NOCHE DE AMOR, the last of my A&M "Holy Grails" that I needed to acquire (the first being Lani's A BRAZILEIRA).

I was surprised too that there wasn't much interest on eBay on this one. I won it without any sniping for about $26 + 4 shipping. Seemed reasonable compared to A BRAZILEIRA! Although it clearly said NOCHE DE AMOR in the ad title, the actual ad led the reader to believe that the album merely had Spanish titles and was the same as BLOW YOUR OWN HORN.

This album is SO much better in this configuration.

Harry
NP: NOCHE DE AMOR, Herb Alpert

Harry-Congrats on getting your elusive "Noche" and at a reasonable price! It's a serendipitous moment when what you want comes to you simply and without hassle. I will wait patiently. I gotta say that everyone at the forum has been very helpful and informative on ebay offerings and fedback. Since I got my own computer and was able to participate with these discussions(thank God,no more public library visits!) I have been able to completely upgrade myTJB catalogue on vinyl including that cool DeeJay sampler,many elusive 45s with picture sleeves,missing parts of Lani's catalog, about 5 of Herb's solos on CD,the Forget-Me-Nots sampler and a few Horizon goodies,including the Jones/Lewis big band and quartet on CD. Add to the spring vinyl show last year where I got "Just You & Me",BMB Foursider and,this last show,a Horizon #2 sampler and Sergio's "Picardia"-all within my budget. Mac-"Living Cheap in Style",a great read from the psychedelic days

Captain Bacardi said:
You can hear some light scratches and clicks throughout the whole thing. I'm wondering why they didn't even try to use any master tapes on this?

Or for that matter, why couldn't they take a little time to clean it up digitally? It's not that hard--I can run a batch of songs through Sound Forge very quickly. The Roger Nichols CD had the same affliction--the track "Our Day Will Come" had scratches in it, and some groove wear (especially during the last half of the song). For all the work they put into the CD, they could have at least sent this track off to a studio with the CEDAR system and had it cleaned up. I re-recorded it to CD-R myself--I at least filtered out the scratches, then added a touch of EQ to get rid of the excess warmth. (It more closely matches the rest of the CD.)

jimac51 said:
Congrats on getting your elusive "Noche" and at a reasonable price! It's a serendipitous moment when what you want comes to you simply and without hassle. I will wait patiently.

I've done the same. I'm getting a couple of eBay items I've been wanting for awhile--fortunately, there have been no bids on any of them, and the pickings are good. I usually wait out a handful of auctions before moving in. What I find, for just about all items, is that there's an initial rush of items and bidders. After awhile, it dies down, and subsequent similar items are less money. I've found this to be true with recordings, electronic gear, and even car parts. Patience wins every time!

jimac51 said:
I gotta say that everyone at the forum has been very helpful and informative on ebay offerings and fedback.

Very much so! We also tend not to bid on each others' auctions. If I see a familiar bidder, I'll back off. (Then, at that point, I can beg them for a CD-R copy of it. :wink: ) When questions come up, I'll post them here, and usually someone will know the answer. We've probably saved each other some money, and overall, most of us here have discovered different items for our collections thanks to all the posts that have been made here over the past five years.

-= N =-

jimac51 said:
Harry-Congrats on getting your elusive "Noche" and at a reasonable price!

Thanks! I knew it would come along eventually. In the few years that I've been eBay watching, I have to say it's thefirst time I've seen it listed. I recall seeing a single of "Noche De Amor" (might've been a 12") that went for a hefty price, and I also saw a cassette that I just let go. I didn't really want that.

I've had my own CD-R of the album for a couple of years, thanks to a loan for another Cornerite, but I just needed to own the vinyl. Thus it sat atop my want list.

I just thought of one other piece of vinyl I'd like to add to the collection -- the original ROGER NICHOLS & THE SMALL CIRCLE OF FRIENDS album. I've got two different CDs, but it would feel more complete to own the vinyl. Almost like a make-good for all of the years that I DIDN'T know about that album.

Harry
NP: NOCHE DE AMOR, Herb Alpert

Well, temporarily, I own Tamba 4's We And The Sea on three different formats: LP, reel-to-reel, and CD. (Actually, two CDs.) I just listed the reel up for auction at eBay (and it has a bid already), but I'll hold onto the others.

Gotta support "the habit", y'now...

-= N =-
...vinyl junkie...

Well, temporarily, I own Tamba 4's We And The Sea on three different formats: LP, reel-to-reel, and CD.

I've got that beat! I have a BULLISH LP, CD and cassette, plus a BRAVIO (Spanish) version of the LP. And that's not counting 45s or 12" singles.

And it's not even my favorite album!

Harry
NP: NOCHE DE AMOR

There's a word for what we are! I just haven't thought of it yet! :wink:

Hmmm...Uniquely Mancini: four vinyl copies, and one CD. (Note to self: sell three copies!)

Whipped Cream: two LPs (one ochre, one white/silver), a reel-to-reel (so brittle it's unplayable and destined for the trash bin), and CD.

Long ago, about 30 years ago, we had Perez Prado's "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White" on a 78RPM record in addition to the RCA New Orthophonic mono vinyl version of the album Mambo Mania. I now have the song on at least two different CDs, as well as a 45RPM single.

Three different CD version of Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue. (I traded the LP years ago.

For Steely Dan's AJA, over the years, I've owned it on a crappy MCA LP reissue, a Mobile Fidelity LP, an original MCA reissue CD (which sounded terrible), a Mobile Fidelity CD, as part of the Citizen Steely Dan box set, and in its most recent remastered form (which finally sounds the best of all of them). Sold all my original MCA CD releases to a guy in the UK. Traded in the LP. Sold the MoFi gold CD on half.com for $35 after it was listed for only two days. And soon I'll list the MoFi LP on eBay.

-= N =-
...what's the word...

With 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, I've got:

Original MGM soundtrack LP (metallic label)
replacement MGM soundtrack LP (flat-colored label)
Awful MCA CD release (sounds like AM radio)
Polydor CD release from Europe (picked up while over there - decent sound)
CBS Special products version on CD (OK audio, track listing altered)
Turner/MGM ultimate soundtrack CD (extra + expanded tracks + bonus material)

Then there's:

Home reel-to-reel taped soundtrack from first NBC airing in 70s
Home VHS tape from HBO showing around 1981
Purchased VHS tape from MGM Home Video
Hi-Fi Stereo release on VHS
Widescreen LaserDisc from Criterion (CLV version)
Widescreen LaserDisc from Criterion (CAV version + extras)
Initial DVD widescreen release with 5.1 sound + a few extras
Remastered Stanley Kubrick Collection DVD with improved 5.1 sound

Other than "HGN2001", I can't think of a word...

Harry
...a.k.a. HGN2001, but don't call me Hal, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom