• Knowing When To Leave

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Happening To Me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Elenore

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

Bobberman

Looking through a box of LPs that got shipped south with us, but never unpacked, I found an odd variation of the THOSE WERE THE DAYS album. It's a white-label promo of the album, but it has CSG processing on it. My stock LP does not have that, nor does the CD version from Japan.

The jacket one of those gold oval stickers on it bragging of the CSG processing being able to be played in stereo or mono, but there's nothing about it on the white label. The run-out groove however does have the "CSG" in the numeration.

From Discogs:
R-4360435-1465753127-9878.jpeg.jpg
R-4360435-1465753124-2393.jpeg.jpg

Those are exactly what mine looks like. I took a listen to "Flyin' High, and sure enough, it's got that uncomfortable altered-phase sound to it. The LP itself has seen better days, as it was stuck in the jacket with no innersleeve where it's probably been rattling around for years. It's possible that a good cleaning could make it serviceable, but then all you'd end up with is an annoying CSG recording!

I'm not sure where this came from. The outer markings don't look like any radio station I've been involved with. I do recall getting a bunch of Alpert and Baja albums from some eBay purchases that were just thrown in the package. Probably from when I ordered a big lot of TjB monos, the seller probably had tons of these and threw them in. I keep my "good" A&M albums out in the main record shelves; these were packed away as extra copies that I haven't had the heart to dispose of.
I would like your opinion Harry? I agree that the CSG processing is annoying however the Pickwick version of this album for me sound wise when compared to the original was a disappointment in your opinion which version would be worse the CSG'D Those were the days. Or The Pickwick version? I'm just curious

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
I'd pick a genuine A&M over a Pickwick any day, but in this case, I'd seek out a stock A&M or the CD which wouldn't have the CSG processing.

Top Bottom