Baja Marimba Band - your favorites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
I came very late to the Baja Marimba Band "party". For years, I mistakenly pigeon-holed them as a TjB knock-off, bargain-basement variety. Needless to say, it's now one of my greatest regrets that I never paid them any attention back then.

As a result, I've only really been listening to BMB material via the LPs and the few compilation CDs for approximately the ten years of the existence of A&M Corner, with the result still being that I'm not that overly-familiar with the tracks, their names, their composers, etc., and still have to look that stuff up when discussing the group.

This past week, I decided to put the entire A&M BMB catalog on one of those mp3 discs that plays in my car. This has the double advantage of my now having constant access to all of their stuff while riding in the car and of being able to reinforce mentally what I'm hearing with the title of the track that displays on my car player. With limited time for just "listening" these days, I find I do most of it in the car during my commute to and from work, so I don't have the luxury of reading the record jacket as the songs play, the way I used to do in the olden days when there seemed to be more time.

There is of course much to love in the BMB canon, and thus far, what little we've gotten on CD has been in the form of a few somewhat messy compilations and one or two albums. I suppose the best of the bunch is the three-CD Timeless Music compilation from a few years ago, in that there, some of the home-grown tracks got attention.

Anyway, this thread can be a place for us, the fans, to give a wish-list of our twenty or twenty-five favorite BMB tracks. Not that anyone's going to do anything about it, but at least we can see what we all like, and perhaps get ideas for our own home-made compilations.

Pick your favorites and sequence them the way you think they'd sound best. We all want all of the albums to be digitally released, so that's a given, and not the purpose of this thread. Let's try to come up with one killer compilation that really represents what these fabulous musicians are/were about.

Harry

I made my own compilation in 2003 that I like a lot. I titled it Ellos no son Los Insectors: An Album of Major Proportions. The part in Spanish translates to: "The Beatles they ain't," from the RIDES AGAIN album liner notes.

For fun, I added a couple of touches that seemed like BMB-type humer to me....I made the compilation date into a "catalog number" and put it on the spine of the CD, upside down; and I divided the songs into "Side 1" and "Side 2" groups in honor of the fact that most of the group's music is still stuck on LP. I also put my favorite BMB song at the beginning of "side 2" where the hits often appeared in those days.

Track list:
Side 1:
Comin' in the Back Door
Samba Nuevo
Georgy Girl
Big Red
Cielito Lindo
Windy
Elenore
I Don't Want To Walk Without You
Fresh Air
Knowing When to Leave
Brasilia
Majorca
Red Roses for a Blue Lady

Side 2:
(There's) Always Something There to Remind Me
Eleanor Rigby
Dream a Little Dream of Me
Along Comes Mary
Juarez
Flyin' High
The Portuguese Washerwoman
Do You Know the Way to San Jose?
Fowl Play
I'll Marimba You
Goin' Out the Side Door

I also did a BMB compilation last year that I simply call The Baja Marimba Band Collection, which has:

Comin' In The Back Door
Brasilia
For Animals Only
Baja Nova
Sabor A Mi
Juarez
Sunrise, Sunset
Samba De Orpheu
Fowl Play
The Portuguese Washerwoman
Flyin' High
Las Mananitas
Fresh Air
Madagascar
Spanish Eyes
Acapulco 1922
Up Cherry Street
Can You Dig It? Part 1
Tomorrow Will Be Better
Spanish Flea
Rhode Island Red
I'll Marimba You
Those Were The Days
Do You Know The Way To San Jose?
Taco Belle
The Big Noise From Encino
Peru '68
Theme From "Deep Throat"
Medley (Spanish Flea/Fowl Play/Coney Island/Up Cherry Street)
Goin' Out The Side Door

Capt. Bacardi

I see the Captain, like me, knows the correct songs to open and close a BMB compilation! (Why the "pros" haven't caught on to that baffles me, because "Goin' Out" is a teriffic song.)

I have been a Baja Marimba Band fan so long that the idea of them being one of those numerous "TJB Knock-off" bands just never popped up in my head. I never heard such a diverse band from track to track. On one song you may think it's a joke, then the next track you're hearing serious real deal musicians play something that can bring tears to your eyes. If I had to brake up their tunes in this way, here's how it would go. And these aren't all of their songs, just a select few:

Funny Songs:
Comin In The Back Door
Fowl Play
Winchester Cathedral
Fiddler on the Roof
Those Were The Days
Cry of the Wild Goose
Ghost Riders In the Sky
Gay Ranchero
Yes Sir That's My Baby
Elegant Rag

Sophisticated Songs
Along Comes Mary
Say A Little Prayer
There's Gotta Be Something Better Than This
Peru 68
Wave
Madagascar
Here
Samba Nuevo
Rhode Island Red
Here's That Rainy Day
Summer Samba
Sound of Silence
Baja Nova
Dear Heart
Swan Waltz
Alone Again Naturally
Sunrise Sunset!!!!!!!!!!!
Look of Love
Elenore Rigby
Las Flores
Spanish Rose
Elephant Soul
San Fernando
Flyin High
Happening To Me
plus the whole As Time Goes By Album

I hope this list doesn't seem to be a list telling people what songs to check out and which ones to disregard. I'm just stated the big differences between them.

I like to play "Cry of the Wild Goose" in the car with the windows rolled down and yell along with the band. :rolleyes:

The song I always go to first is "Along Comes Mary". It should have been a big hit.

Re: Audiofile's list of "funny songs" -- I think you could add quite a few to that list. "Goin' Out the Side Door" has a lot of fun in it, especially the part where the vocals come in and then disappear just as fast!

From the AS TIME GOES BY album, "Big Red" is probably the most offbeat track for me at least. But one of my favorites.

It's funny how time changes musical taste. I used to play "Cry of the Wild Goose" over and over, and I still like it OK, but there are now a lot of other songs I like much more.

In addition to doing a favorites disc, I had thought of compiling a CD that contained only originals penned by members of the BMB, similar to doing one for the TJB that contains all originals by Herb, John Pisano, Julius, etc. (and I'd include Bud Coleman since he was part of the A&M family). Sort of an extension of a "composer series".

Mike Blakesley said:
Re: Audiofile's list of "funny songs" -- I think you could add quite a few to that list. "Goin' Out the Side Door" has a lot of fun in it, especially the part where the vocals come in and then disappear just as fast!

From the AS TIME GOES BY album, "Big Red" is probably the most offbeat track for me at least. But one of my favorites.

It's funny how time changes musical taste. I used to play "Cry of the Wild Goose" over and over, and I still like it OK, but there are now a lot of other songs I like much more.

Big Red is from Those Were The Days. but both titles deal with time... :D So what the heck.

Oops, you're right of course. I had the two records mixed up in my sleepy head this morning.

Now thinking about the AS TIME GOES BY album, I definitely agree about it being mostly sophisticated style music....but "Spanish Flea" would definitely go into the humor file! (Assuming SF is on that album! I'm pretty sure it is.) :goofygrin:

I love "Telephone Song" and "Yours" from LP 118, "Walk on By" and "Juarez" from LP 109, "In a Vera Cruise Vein" and "Sunrise, Sunset" -- what a marimba workout! --from SP 4150 and Title Track "Fresh Air" from SP 4200.

The BMB's version of "Winchester Cathedral" is definitive, and "Georgy Girl" is outstanding as well.

JB

Mike Blakesley said:
Oops, you're right of course. I had the two records mixed up in my sleepy head this morning.

Now thinking about the AS TIME GOES BY album, I definitely agree about it being mostly sophisticated style music....but "Spanish Flea" would definitely go into the humor file! (Assuming SF is on that album! I'm pretty sure it is.) :goofygrin:

lol. I did forget about Spanish Flea when saying the whole album was sophisticated. There's also another track, "Left Field" that falls into this category.

How can we leave out "Domingo," with that great ending. I think, from the theoretical part about the last two chord changes that it goes(assuming the key of 'C')from an 'F' mixolydian 7th chord to a 'C' dorian with a Picardian third - from C7 to D major. I have no idea what key the piece is in, and I sure as heck could be dead wrong about the cadence at the end - if anyone else has an idea, I'd like to hear(right)/see it.

Take care, guys...

George

Along Comes Mary
For Animals Only
Georgy Girl
Cry Of The Wild Goose
Last Of The Red Hot Llamas
Juarez
Majorca
Henco En Mexico
Gnu Bossa Nova
Baja Nights
Up Cherry Street
Acapulco 1922
Back To Cuernavaca
December's Child
Yours
Flyin' High
Sunday Morning
In A Vera Cruz Vein
Baja Nova
Foul Play
Yes Sir Thats My Baby
Portuguese Washerwoman
Can You Dig It?

Can anyone tell me who Alf Brinton is? He wrote "Pedro's Porch pt 2" from Baja's first album. I'm not sure if there's a "Pedro's Porch pt 1", but if there is, I would assume Alf wrote that as well.

I'm gonna throw in my two cents(and I don't expect any change, either). Glad this topic came up again. Other than Sunrise, Sunrset and I'll Marimba You (both good workouts for Julius and good showcasing of his talents and abilities) these are in no particular order:

1). Sunrise, Sunset
2). I'll Marimba You
3). The Elegant Rag
4). Baja Nova
5). Hecho in Mexico
6). More(Theme from Mondo Cane)
7). Brasilia
8 ). Cabeza Arriba(probably should have been Cabezas Arribas)
9). El Cumbanchero
10). Maria's First Rose
11). Fowl Play
12). La Cucaracha
13). Baja Nights
14). Spanish Eyes
15). Ghost Riders in the Sky(good mandolin, under the rest)
16). Las Flores(with that really tasty Tommy Tedesco guitar solo)
17). Maria Elena
18 ). Up Cherry Street
19). For Animals Only(nice background banjo work)
20). Domingo
21). Yellow Bird
22). The Cry of the Wild Goose
23). Flyin' High
24). Sabor a Mi
25). Those Were the Days
26). Acapulco 1922
27). Guacamole
28 ). Taco Belle
29). Fiddler on the Roof

I know, I know, I've left off some favorites, but I couldn't put the whole of their body of work here, could I?

But, ya know, I've been listening to these guys since they started, and while much of their music is made with tongues firmly planted in cheeks, these fellows were/are good musicians. Somebody else once said, "Ya gotta be good to play that bad and make it worth listening to."

The styles they go through - Klezmer, Dixieland, jazz, rock(such as it was in the 60s), Mariachi, polka(listen to the 'bridge' in El Cumbanchero), MOR and more. Too, they almost never seem to 'step on each other' when playing - clever arranging and downplaying of egos. I find myself, while driving, suddenly smiling at their stuff. Even when I realize that I'm smiling, I still keep smiling - something really has to hit home when it draws a reaction like that - especially when you're alone.

Whoever said, "Make a Joyful Noise," must have had the Baja Marimba Band in mind when he said it.

Didn't mean to be so windy.

Take care...

George

Moondog said:
these fellows were/are good musicians...The styles they go through - Klezmer, Dixieland, jazz, rock(such as it was in the 60s), Mariachi, polka(listen to the 'bridge' in El Cumbanchero), MOR and more. Too, they almost never seem to 'step on each other' when playing - clever arranging and downplaying of egos. I find myself, while driving, suddenly smiling at their stuff. Even when I realize that I'm smiling, I still keep smiling - something really has to hit home when it draws a reaction like that - especially when you're alone.

About 10 years ago I decided to seriously look into this group. I knew only one song: Acapulco 1922 -- which I had dubbed from a friend's LP. The song was just about the funniest thing I had ever heard. And to this day, this song is the cure-all for the blues. That last all-out chorus has gotta have some of the most crazy-ass playing ever committed to wax!

So, I went to Village Music [LPs only] where the old salt behind the counter was like a combination human phonologue and Stereo Review depository...I asked his opinion of the group (as I did of all off-the-beaten-path LPs...) and he told me that although the TjB were immensely popular, he felt the BMB had a unique degree of hipness that even Brasil '66 (you know, the group with the women movin' at the hips) couldn't match. When I listen to any BMB records I'm always amazed as to both the high level of performance consistency, and the obvious fact that -- unlike the TjB -- the BMB's final LPs indicate the group was still reaching its artistic peak. (In fact, Fresh Aire may be their best.)The old salt was right...there IS something uniquely and uncommonly super-hip about the BMB. And it went wayy beyond the fact that Curry Tjader looked like he was a member of the Moby Grape.

I know what you mean about the BMB's cool-ness. Their music has not dated in the least, IMHO. Nor has the TJBs, as far as that goes. Some of Sergio Mendes' early output has an unmistakable '60s vibe ("So Danco Samba" being a prime example) but a lot of that music is pretty timeless, as well.

I hope that's a REAL quality and not just the fact that I refuse to get old, musically at least.

Could it be that we're all talking about the same thing? Maybe it's what football people call 'the intangibles.' Perhaps it's part of what one radio personality calls the 'LF'(likeability factor) - unexplainable in ordinary terms - just something that gets inside of those of us who actually pay attention and care.

An element of the intuitive and the subconscious that we can't even reconcile within ourselves...maybe? I suspect that it's all of this and a whole lot more that we may never be able to firmly put our fingers on. These guys were the 'right' mix and the 'right' combination, playing the 'right' music at the 'right' time in the 'right' way.

You couldn't make this group up if somebody paid you to do it, but it wasn't coincidence, either - the older I get, the less I believe in coincidences. It was more like providence or happenstance - but wasn't it our good fortune to be where we were when it happened? And they really did a large body of work, but didn't stay around until we were tired of them or they had passed their peak.

The conversation goes on...

Take care...

George

I enjoy all the BMB albums and would be hard pressed to pick a favorite. However, I have noticed that I tend to play As Time Goes By more than the others.

sp4298.jpg

Mike

Never mentioned this before, but sometime back in the early 1980s, I misplaced all my BMB stuff - the LPs, the singles, the tapes - all of it. For some lame reason, I've not replaced any of it. Now that I'm getting on in years, I wish I had, somewhere along the way - just never did. There's very little time left now to re-gather those things.

But, alas, what I do have is good and the A&M Forum has been important to me. Thanks to all.

Take care...

George

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom