Bass Trombone

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpertfan

I was listening to "Never On Sunday" not too long ago. Is Bob Edmondson playing a bass trombone on that track? Sure sounds like it. What other TJB tracks have this instrument?

I concur --Tuba. Not completely uncommon in mariachi music, either, which was the sound Herb was trying to achive on those first two LPs. Plus I'm not sure Edmondson was involved with the TJB/Herb back in the Lonely Bull period.

--Mr Bill

I read someplace that Herb wrote STRUTTIN' WITH MARIA [from TLB] especially for Bob to play the cymbals. It might be in a TJB booklet that was published back in 1966 or so...not sure. But Bob was definitely with Herb from the beginning. He probably isn't playing the tuba, though.

Dan

Edmonson's trombone can also be heard on a tune called "Dina", issued under the Dore Alpert nomenclature, also released around the time that "The Lonely Bull" came out. So yes, Bob Edmonson truly was with Herb from the beginning.

David,
digging into the obscurities, online.......

Thanks. Just asked because I know the BMB used it, and I don't hear a bass that clearly on that song so I assumed it was the bass trombone. :idea:

Captain Bacardi said:
You can hear Bob play bass 'bone on tunes as "I Will Wait For You"...

Ah! "I Will Wait For You" is one of my favorite TJB tunes!! Simple, understated...it's an excellent arrangement. :thumbsup:

Jon

"Bob Edmonson, a longtime friend of Herb's, was on the very first "Lonely Bull" recording date and all others since."

A quote from the 1966 Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass Fan Book which was sold at their concerts.

David,
reporting the facts, online....

thetijuanataxi said:
"Bob Edmonson, a longtime friend of Herb's, was on the very first "Lonely Bull" recording date and all others since."

A quote from the 1966 Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass Fan Book which was sold at their concerts.

Funny, they should have spelled it Edmondson!

Capt. Bacardi
...being really factual online...

But.....But....it was 5 am..... Oh well, at least I didn't say Herb Albert......

David,
dying of embarassment, online....

On tour, the band would play the song and Edmondson did a comedy bit with cymbals inserted as part of the tune, much like the kind of thing Baja would do in their songs. The bit probably came after the record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom