BBC Radio 2-THE HERB ALPERT STORY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very well done, Tony! I was expecting to hear your name mentioned in the credits at the end so i could shout out, "I know that guy!" but alas...

I was also surprised at how well Richard Carpenter did as "host." I had my doubts as to his abilities there since in the past he's not been a very good speaker (and Karen was always the "mouthpiece" of the duo even if Richard had the "leadership chops").

Given that we're now just getting to Whipped Cream and the "touring brass" one can only assume there's plenty of material on the proverbial cutting room floor. I was sort of saddened that the "second trumpet credit" went to Findley even though he was only in the short-lived 74/5 TJB. Sort of gave Kalash short shrift, but then he's not exactly available to interview...

--Mr Bill

I just listened to the Herb Alpert special on BBC 2. It's great, but I am curious about one thing. They tell a story in the program about sending the recording of Herb and the TJB via phone from A&M studio's to Gold Star Recorders, to get the optimum "echo effect".
But the A&M studios did not open until 1968. And all of the " hit" TJB albums were recorded at Gold Star. Not that it really matters, but I was a bit puzzled by the story. But to TONY, lucky man, to have a chance to visit with Herb and Jerry and family, a great show! Thanks Dave

Great show. Awesome to hear Herb, and especially Sergio Mendes, and I suspect he'll have more to say as time goes on.

I have a feeling we're going to wish they were hour-long segments!

Great job, Tony and crew. :thumbsup:

Just to pick up on a few points....the link to Gold Star's echo chamber was in the early seventies.

The BBC avoid end credits like the plague, so only the producers get one! (They're only of interest to the people working on the show, anyway, and tend to steal valuable minutes that could be devoted to useful material...)

I didn't have a hand in the editing, so it seems that the contribution I got from Bob Edmonson (which was brief) ended up on the cutting room floor. The references to Bob Findlay as the #2 trumpet struck me, too, but are probably because he was such a good interviewee and made some really important points about the way Herb works, and his generosity of spirit that he absolutely had to be included, and it was mucheasier to describe him that way rather than go into a lengthy piece about which era he belonged to. After all, the show has to have pace in order to engage the majority of listeners who aren't diehard A&M fans.

In total I recorded more interview material than the total running time of the series, so it's inevitable that some of it gets missed out.

Programme Three, by the way, strays a bit from the Alpert story and dwells more on A&M itself, and in particular some of the British acts the label signed.

Great show, Tony. I wish I could have heard it un-interrupted. As I only have a dial-up connection to the Internet, the show kept starting and stopping in the middle. At one point, about two or three minutes went by, and I'd almost forgotten what I was listening to - and then startled when it started up again.

Technology is great - but not perfect, I guess.

Harry

Try the "listen again" feature on the BBC website...it worked just fine for me, and I'm cursed with dial-up, too.

Dan

Interesting that the show is called "This Guy's In Love With You", because it was on this date (June 22) in 1968 that the song "This Guy's..." hit #1 on the US charts and stayed there for 4 weeks. Just a little trivia for you. :wink:

Capt. Bacardi

TonyCurrie said:
Programme Three, by the way, strays a bit from the Alpert story and dwells more on A&M itself, and in particular some of the British acts the label signed.

Would it include the group Merry Go Round?

seashorepiano said:
TonyCurrie said:

Would it include the group Merry Go Round?

Alas, no. We're talking Supertramp, Pink Floyd and The Police here.

Merry Go Round were an excellent band; I still play "You're a very Lovely Woman" on the radio from time to time.

DAN BOLTON said:
Try the "listen again" feature on the BBC website...it worked just fine for me, and I'm cursed with dial-up, too.

Dan

That's what I DID use - and it still stopped and started about ten times.

Harry

Mike Blakesley said:
Too bad there's not a way to download the file to your hard disk and then play it from that.

You can - I used an application called Audio Hijack. It basically records streaming audio as a file that you can save in iTunes. Then you can burn a CD of it or listen on an iPod. I've used it to record all the other A&M related shows of late as well. It's only for the Mac, but I found an application for the PC that appears to do the same thing. Here's the link:

http://www.wmrecorder.com/?PID=559287&SID=22wm&AID=10298038

BTW, I thought the show was great - can't wait for the rest of the series!

Well, I can't believe that I'm actually listening to this, Online! I have a dial-up connection, too...but, it's Going Without A Hitch! :cheers:

I'm really enjoying this Interview a lot! (Though my Instant Message "Bling" is just as LOUD!) :laugh:

Of all the people in this World, how did you manage to get out there, put all this together and get it on the Internet for us, Tony?

--Thanks! :D

Dave

Captain Bacardi said:
TonyCurrie said:
Alas, no. We're talking Supertramp, Pink Floyd and The Police here.

Hmmm, Pink Floyd on A&M, eh? That's news to me!

Capt. Bacardi

Sorry - my nominal dysphasia slipped in there - I meant Procol Harum of course! :oops:

I had an experience similar to yours, Harry. It was a nuisance because it would interrupt mid-sentence! But, it was still a great show and I'm sure going to try to listen to the rest of it.

Thanks Tony, for helping us all to hear this!

Marilyn

I just listened to part 2 of "the Herb Alpert Story". This is really great stuff! To hear about "Herbmania" from John Pisano and Pat Senatore and the romance with Lani and herb on the first tours with the TJB and Brasil 66 together. Wonderful work, Tony!

- greetings from the bright and warm north -
Martin

Just finished lietening myself. I agree with Martin - another great show. They persist in implying that Bob Findley was in the original TJB!

Do I understand from the show that Herb wrote What Now My Love? I didn't think that the writing credit was his (although I'll have to check).

Stephen

Stephen Vakil said:
Do I understand from the show that Herb wrote What Now My Love? I didn't think that the writing credit was his (although I'll have to check).

Gilbert Becaud wrote "What Now My Love".

Capt. Bacardi

I just listened to Part 2, ans once again, it went off without a hitch. Harry and Marilyn, I just remembered that a few months ago, when I was having a lot of trouble with my DVD players, I bought the latest version of Realplayer, thinking that it would be a better deal than spending mucho dinero on a new DVD player. It was only 20 bucks, and while it didn't really enhance my DVD playing abilities, maybe it's the reason for my being able to get such a clear and uninterrupted broadcast from the BBC,since it comes through Realplayer. This is only a guess...

Anyway, great show! I'm really looking forward to the next chapter.

Dan

The RealAlternative player I mention above has a very small "footprint", so it may also do better with streaming files. Thing is, it also depends on how good your dial-up connection is. No player can improve on that.

Herb's stpry about it was a little unclear - to me anyway!
Herb was talking about writing the arrangement, not the song itself.

Agreed with the others, another great show, Tony.

OK, "Listen Again" DID take me to Part 2, and yes, it was Great! Soooo Cool! --And Good to hear more on Herb, The TjB, Sergio, Lani, Burt and a whole lot more on the A&M Story...

Super Job! --It came in sounding Crystal Clear, too!! All that was needed was VIDEO!!! :laugh:

Tony, Thanks Again!! ...And Tell Me: How DID You Do IT??! :thumbsup: :thumbsdn:

Dave

These shows are a real joy. I have been grinning from ear-to-ear while listening. I call it my "30 minute facelift!"
PLEASE, somebody, figure out how to preserve these shows on cd!
---SteveM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom