Bell & James 12" Disco single (SP-12012)

Andrew T.

A few months ago, I came across this 1978 record of the "disco version" of "Livin' It Up (Friday Night)" b/w "Don't Let the Man Get You" by Bell & James at a library book sale. Being curious, and being the A&M aficionado that I am, I had to take it home with me:

amdisco.jpg

I wasn't familiar with either the artist or the series beforehand, but "Livin' It Up" is a catchy song...although I can only get in the mood to listen to it on Fridays! :laugh:

Is anyone else familiar with either Bell & James or the "A&M Disco" series of singles? It's interesting to note the standardized sleeve design they used...with pastel drawings that looked downright exciting!

A&M didn't have as many 12" "disco" singles as the other labels did, but they had some good ones. "Livin' It Up (Friday Night)" was a staple of its day, and is well remembered by dance music and R&B listeners, as well as 12" single collectors. Another classic is the Brothers Johnson, "Strawberry Letter 23" (b/w "Get The Funk Out My Face"), which was pressed on red vinyl and reportedly had a strawberry scent to it (although mine, bought new when it was a couple years old, did not smell like it). Other A&M 12" singles from that era include Herb Alpert's "Rise" b/w "Aranjuez", Herb's "Rotataion", and The Raes, "A Little Lovin'". Atlantic Starr had a couple of singles too, IIRC.

This was pretty much the only hit Bell & James ever had. I had the follow-up album called Only Make Believe, and while it was a pleasant recording with some nice tunes, it just didn't ignite the charts like "Livin' It Up" did.

I think I've seen other A&M 12"s with this generic 12" sleeve--I'm not sure if my 12" by The Raes has the same one, but the "Strawberry Letter 23" and "Rise" singles were in custom sleeves.

Were the 12" disco single versions of these songs often substantially different from the ordinary single and/or album versions?

Andrew T. said:
Were the 12" disco single versions of these songs often substantially different from the ordinary single and/or album versions?

Most of the time, yes. Differences could range from a slightly different mix to extra verses, extended instrumental breaks or a completely different version.

--Mr Bill

I have a number of 12" A&M discs but most came in a plain black jacket with no logos or anything on them. Some of the Herb's have custom artwork. The only one like the pictured one above that I have is the Lani Hall "Double Or Nothing" 12" single. The latest one I own has to be Sergio Mendes' "Mas Que Nada" update from the 1989 ARARA album. It's a white-label promo with the '80s A&M design, black on white.

Harry

Andrew T. said:

In that era, 12" singles were usually an extended version (longer than the album version in most cases, like Mr Bill says, often with an instrumental "breakdown" in the middle), often with added percussion and/or remixed to highlight the beat. 12" singles are also cut hotter than the LP versions, so they sound better as well.

My Bell & James 12" was one of the first four I bought, so unfortunately it got a bit worn. Some of them have faded into obscurity, but many others have gone up in value. My 12" of Chicago's "Street Player" is probably worth well over $100 these days...and I paid $3.99 for it brand new!

The label that accompanied most 12's during the era of that particular sleeve is also different. I find itn unusual that your copy has the standard silver/tan 70s A&M label. The disco 12"ers usually had one side with a red label and the other with yellow (can't recall whether the A-side got the red or the yellow) and a typescript that matched the "A&M DISCO" printed on the sleeve...

--Mr Bill
can't find one at tyhe moment but I will and add it to the gallery...

Mr Bill said:
The label that accompanied most 12's during the era of that particular sleeve is also different. I find itn unusual that your copy has the standard silver/tan 70s A&M label. The disco 12"ers usually had one side with a red label and the other with yellow (can't recall whether the A-side got the red or the yellow) and a typescript that matched the "A&M DISCO" printed on the sleeve...

--Mr Bill
can't find one at tyhe moment but I will and add it to the gallery...

Were those promos? Just about all "Disco" 12" singles I've ever seen or bought used the silver/tan A&M label. After the early 80s, it may have changed. There were not many in that original series, actually.

My Lani Hall "Double Or Nothing" has the red/yellow color scheme. IIRC, the red side was the a-side and the yellow was the b-side. It made no difference on this 12" single though - it's the same on both sides, in spite of the label color difference.

Harry

Harry said:
My Lani Hall "Double Or Nothing" has the red/yellow color scheme. IIRC, the red side was the a-side and the yellow was the b-side. It made no difference on this 12" single though - it's the same on both sides, in spite of the label color difference.

Harry

What year was this released? The three early ones I have are all within the first dozen 12" singles A&M released. Bell & James is SP-12012. The Brothers Johnson "Strawberry" is the earliest with SP-12003. The Raes had SP-12009. All have the silver/tan, and all of them date from 1977-1978. Herb's "Rise" was SP-12022, but had a custom jacket and label. (At least my original issue 12" does, and it's on the black vinyl.) Lani's 12" is SP-12019, but has your red/yellow label on it, so I'm thinking the original silver/tan label only showed up on the first dozen or so 12" single releases.

Rudy said:
....I'm thinking the original silver/tan label only showed up on the first dozen or so 12" single releases.

Without my collection in front of me I can't be sure, but something at the back of my mind says you're probably right. It wasn't too long before they migrated back to the regular A&M label in any case -- early 80s if memory serves...

--Mr Bill
mods can go to Mr Bill AOTW Image test thread and call up the 12xxx series to see what all I've already uploaded...

Another A&M Disco 12"-'er was "Let Me Take You Dancing" by Bryan Adams, as I recall. This, long before his '80's string of hits. On this number, he sounds almost like a chipmunk in comparison - or is that Nick Gilder in "Hot Child in the City"?

Ah, WB, that is one of my prize-possessions!

Clearly an attempt to cash in on the "disco" craze of the time. This 12" even preceded his debut A&M LP Bryan Adams (A&M SP4800). I was surprised the two cuts weren't on that LP! Always reminded me of an attempt to catch a Rod Stewart/Nick Gilder sound with a disco beat.

Since I'm in Bahrain and miles from my collection, refresh my memory on the B-side. Was it "Don't You Say It"? At any rate this one was (I think) the first two feature the red/yellow label scheme. At least it's the earliest in my collection (which is far from complete in the 12xxx series).

As for sounding like a chipmunk, is it possible you had it running at 45rpm? Definitely sounds like the same Bryan Adams we all know and love from Cuts Like A Knife and others...

--Mr Bill

Adams' voice IS quite high on "Let Me Take You Dancing!" In fact, I'd heard this song for years and didn't know it was him, until I read my display on my XM radio and saw who it was.

Back
Top Bottom