🎵 AotW Bell & James - BELL & JAMES (SP-4728)

bell & james 1.jpgBell & James
BELL & JAMES

A&M SP-4728

Bell & James was a Philadelphia soul music duo who had a # 15 hit single with "Livin' It Up (Friday Night)" in 1978.

TRACKS:

Livin' it Up (Friday Night)
Three Way Love Affair
Just Can't Get Enough of Your Love
Ask Billie (They Tell Me)

You Never Know What You've Got
I Need You Beside Me
Don't Let the Man Get You
I Love the Music.

Leroy Bell (guitar, drums)
Casey James (guitar, bass, keyboards)

JB

I have this album- "Friday Night" is a great song, sort of Hall and Oates meet Michael Jackson. The rest of the album I don't recall, but that single is a classic...

"Livin' It Up (Friday Night)" is a dance classic--too bad they couldn't extend the run! One of the first four 12" singles I ever bought. The flip side was pleasant enough too: "Don't Let The Man Get You." I had the follow-up album (another fine effort BTW) but it lacked any standout hit.

The song "Three Way Love Affair" reminds me of another song by Elton John (from "The Thom Bell Sessions" EP) from 1979. Is that the same song?? Matt Clark Sanford, MI

From Wikipedia [then it MUST be true! This seems reliable....:)] -----

Bell and James was a soul group from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Formed by Leroy Bell (drums, guitar) and Casey James (guitar, bass, keyboards), both played in Special Blend before beginning to write songs together. Bell's uncle Thom Bell got them signed to Gamble & Huff as songwriters. They wrote tunes for Elton John, MFSB, The O'Jays, Gladys Knight & the Pips, Freda Payne, and others, before A&M Records took notice and signed them to a full album deal in 1978. Three albums and several hit singles followed, including "Livin' it Up (Friday Night)," which hit #7 on the Billboard Black singles charts, and #15 on the Hot singles charts in 1979.

I have uploaded the album and linked it in the first post of this AotW entry.

Back
Top Bottom