BEST OF BEST+ ORIGINAL MASTER KARAOKE+ 22 HITS

I request, of course, a master karaoke of "Only Yesterday", certainly that song--with
its overdubs--and stellar arrangement--should be part of this compilation.

Why this track and All You Get From Love Is A Love Song were never included on the karaoke set I will never know. Only Yesterday would be amazing to hear without the lead vocal!

Why this track and All You Get From Love Is A Love Song were never included on the karaoke set I will never know. Only Yesterday would be amazing to hear without the lead vocal!

What's funny is, I think Richard actually DID do an instrumental remix of this track for inclusion on the set. Somewhere I thought I'd heard that this was how he stumbled across the unmarked outtake of Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again. He went in to do a remix sometime in '90-'91 of Only Yesterday for the karaoke set and realized the former hadn't been marked on the legend, with all thinking it had been lost!

Chris, I read in the Interpretations Liner Notes :
" On November 29, 1991, while remixing tracks for the Japanese Karaoke album, we
found the title (Trying To Get The Feeling Again) on the multi-track tape containing
Only Yesterday."
(Richard also writes that production on Tryin To Get The Feeling was completed May 31st, 1994 ).

Sounds like he may have, although I'm not certain personally. I think the question is, was there a remix for this set that was never included? It's always been fairly standard for Richard (and Karen) to over-produce content for any given release. I've contacted Richard to see what [if any] additional songs were actually remixed for the set, even if that meant they weren't included for one reason or another.

Last edited:
It feels like yesterday when I was visiting Pittsburgh and stumbled in a little Mom and Pop record shop which name I can't remember. I do remember seeing that Disc shinning from behind the counter and telling the sales clerk. I want that disc. Money wasn't a problem at the time and this has to be one of my favorite Carpenters sets. It shows how Richard truly could produce the music that made them so popular and I realized how such simple arrangements could really make a vocal shine. I am a fan of remixes and love how the music mixes just hit you right in that sweet spot and I can listen over and over again. I still listen to that disc quite a bit and it seems like I hear something new every time I listen. If there are any fans thinking of buying this, It is well worth the cost. I don't think the average ebay prices are as much as I paid for it new. I highly recommend the double disc set for comparison sake but if you can't find that, the single disc is a winner also. Yes, it also makes me want to hear the whole catalog of karaoke mixes. Especially from the earlier albums.

As I stated earlier in this thread, as a karaoke enthusiast and proud owner of Best of Best (single disc), these versions are an absolute treasure. I, too, would love to have the Carpenters' karaoke version of "Only Yesterday," but I can tell you from experience that this song is very difficult (at least for me) to sing. Even when changing the key to a karaoke version, this particular song is difficult given its range. This is just another prime example for appreciation of the vocal stylings of Miss Karen Carpenter! :)

As I stated earlier in this thread, as a karaoke enthusiast and proud owner of Best of Best (single disc), these versions are an absolute treasure. I, too, would love to have the Carpenters' karaoke version of "Only Yesterday," but I can tell you from experience that this song is very difficult (at least for me) to sing. Even when changing the key to a karaoke version, this particular song is difficult given its range. This is just another prime example for appreciation of the vocal stylings of Miss Karen Carpenter! :)

You're absolutely correct, and this is something Bettis even mentioned about the song in our interview a while back.

I've contacted Richard to see what [if any] additional songs were actually remixed for the set, even if that meant they weren't included for one reason or another.

Richard has confirmed that the only tracks remixed instrumentally for that project were the ones that were included. There was no additional remixing beyond the stack list chosen for the project.

Richard has confirmed that the only tracks remixed instrumentally for that project were the ones that were included. There was no additional remixing beyond the stack list chosen for the project.

Thanks Chris for contacting Richard and clearing that up....I would have liked and enjoyed a 2nd Original Master Karaoke disc from Richard. It's really an experience to just hear the instrumentals and some of the backing vocals intact, this collection was mastered so well that I long for more Carpenters tracks just like this disc.

Thanks Chris. I wonder why 'Only Yesterday' was never even chosen and tried then, even if it hadn't made the final cut. Strange, considering it's one of the best examples of their backing vocal sound that would have been showcased not having the lead over the top of it.

Thanks Chris. I wonder why 'Only Yesterday' was never even chosen and tried then, even if it hadn't made the final cut. Strange, considering it's one of the best examples of their backing vocal sound that would have been showcased not having the lead over the top of it.
Maybe that's why. Maybe Richard wanted to emphasize the musical arrangement, and not have a track that is still highly vocal after removing the lead.

Again guys, we have to remember there are other influences at work here. For starters, I'm not entirely certain who made the final decision as to how many tracks made the cut, or what the criteria was in order to have made that list (i.e. chart positions etc). I realize that's incredibly vague - but at the time this set was released for the Japanese market, Only Yesterday may not have been as hot a ticket item for a comp like this as say Top Of The World (a remix in which I absolutely LOATHE beyond measure). There also may have been a limit to the number of tracks allowed for inclusion based on the overall price point of the disc, and if general consensus says that O.Y. isn't a highly requested tune in comparison, then it doesn't make the cut.

One of the main features of the karaoke disc is that almost every song is a new remix. To my knowledge, "Only Yesterday" didn't ever get - or need - a remix. And that may have been part of the criteria for not including it. (?)

Harry

Another reason is its incredibly wide vocal range. Very few could ever do it any justice.

Chris May--your latest comments in this thread reminded me that I wanted to ask you the following, due to your musical expertise (especially vocal music/vocal arrangements). Which songs would you consider to be the best examples of using Karen's talents "to their fullest"--and please feel free to break that down into components such as vocal range, shifts in tone/timbre, depth of emotion, and any other aspects of singing that from a technical standpoint you conisder noteworthy. I know I would be fascinated to read your thoughts on this--and I'm sure I am NOT alone in saying this! (Apologies if this is a topic that's come up previously; in my enthusiasm I have not utilized the search engine to determine if this has already been addressed.)

I saw one in Tower Records as an import item years ago in 1992 and when I returned with cash it was already sold. I tried to get one from Amazon last month, but they shipped the wrong item, and it is now out of stock with this one vendor. It scares me to purchase from Japan when a business from USA has trouble getting their hands on one to fill an order already promised. The one on Amazon was the 22 Hits 10th Anniversary one but the one in Tower Records was the one in the topic.

Craig

Chris May--your latest comments in this thread reminded me that I wanted to ask you the following, due to your musical expertise (especially vocal music/vocal arrangements). Which songs would you consider to be the best examples of using Karen's talents "to their fullest"--and please feel free to break that down into components such as vocal range, shifts in tone/timbre, depth of emotion, and any other aspects of singing that from a technical standpoint you conisder noteworthy. I know I would be fascinated to read your thoughts on this--and I'm sure I am NOT alone in saying this! (Apologies if this is a topic that's come up previously; in my enthusiasm I have not utilized the search engine to determine if this has already been addressed.)
Thanks Don! Just to clarify, are you meaning related to this specific release? Or Karen's body of work in general?

Chris--I was thinking "body of work in general"...being greedy to pick your brain to the maximum extent possible! :cool:

Another question: given the status of the masters, would it even be possible for Richard to put out another karaoke set? I would love to have instrumental mixes of many more songs than just what's on the Karaoke set, if for no other reason that the general public would have the chance to experience just how really good at it Richard is...people rightfully laud Brian Wilson for his instrumental arrangements (and this so widely known as to be a default position...) but Richard has a lot of genius moments spread all across his work (I'd love to hear a Karaoke/instrumental version of "Calling Occupants"--yes, sorry, without Tony!!) and IMO he deserves more recognition in this area.

Another question: given the status of the masters, would it even be possible for Richard to put out another karaoke set? I would love to have instrumental mixes of many more songs than just what's on the Karaoke set, if for no other reason that the general public would have the chance to experience just how really good at it Richard is...people rightfully laud Brian Wilson for his instrumental arrangements (and this so widely known as to be a default position...) but Richard has a lot of genius moments spread all across his work (I'd love to hear a Karaoke/instrumental version of "Calling Occupants"--yes, sorry, without Tony!!) and IMO he deserves more recognition in this area.

I'm not Chris but I can answer this one. Yes, if Richard were of a mind to do it, he could do more karaoke remixes. The tapes are gone but they were backed up digitally many years ago. It'll never happen but he could do it if he chose.

Ed

I thought I'd mention this just for completeness sake. In addition to the Best of Best, Yesterday Once More, and 22 Hits cd issues discussed before in this thread, 4 of the original karaoke tracks can also be found in Top of the World cd issued in 1995 (POCM 1529). This latter cd contains 8 tracks with 4 songs (Top of the World, I Need to Be in Love, Yesterday Once More, and Close to You), each being presented in the sung and karaoke versions.

I thought I'd mention this just for completeness sake. In addition to the Best of Best, Yesterday Once More, and 22 Hits cd issues discussed before in this thread, 4 of the original karaoke tracks can also be found in Top of the World cd issued in 1995 (POCM 1529). This latter cd contains 8 tracks with 4 songs (Top of the World, I Need to Be in Love, Yesterday Once More, and Close to You), each being presented in the sung and karaoke versions.

And to further note, Sing as a karaoke remix can also be found on the Top of the World single from Japan as well.

I finally ordered a 22 hits / 10th Anniversary Edition for the karaoke tracks including Sing. It came from Japan, wrapped new, and only took a week for delivery. I have heard most of them online, but nothing compares to the original disc. It was also the first time I heard 'Sing' in karaoke and I really enjoy hearing the piano stand out.
I would like to purchase Sweet Memory for I really want the remix of Road Ode, so unless it comes on a new USA release compilation soon, I may search for one.

Back
Top Bottom