"Best of" Carpenters: 1969-1973

Status
Not open for further replies.

Must Hear This Album

The Singles: 1969-1973 is, arguably, one of the finest “hits” compilations of the 1970’s by any artist. That said, it was, for me, an incomplete polaroid of the duo’s singles from time frame, mainly because it left out “Merry Christmas Darling” and “I Won’t Last A Day Without You,” and yes, I’m aware that the latter single wasn’t released as such until 1974, but it was a part of the “classic” Carpenters sound, and, as such, was the last single from that golden era. And whatever; I just think it belongs on that album.

Which got me to thinking...what if the duo had gone a different direction with this release, and instead of compiling a “hits” collection, instead put together an album most representative of their artistry, including deep album cuts? A “best of” compilation. Had this been the route they’d taken, I wonder what songs they would have included? What songs might you include in such a compilation? In keeping it to just 12 tracks, like on the original album, here’s my list:

We’ve Only Just Begun
Maybe It’s You
Superstar
Rainy Days And Mondays
For All We Know
This Masquerade
Goodbye To Love
Let Me Be The One (released as a single to promote this album)
Yesterday Once More
I Won’t Last A Day Without You
Hurting Each Other
Close To You

My only problem with this particular list is that it doesn't include "Ticket To Ride". And if that weren't going to be included, we might not have ever gotten the sumptuous 1973 version.

Harry

Honestly, I think that the track list for The Singles: 1969 - 1973 is pretty much perfect the way it is. The only change I might make would be to replace "It's Going To Take Some Time" with "This Masquerade."

Actorman, I like your idea. Also, I don't know what the general consensus of Sing is around here, but I'd have bumped it for something else. And it would have been cool to have all of the songs woven together like the first half.

Yeah, 'It's Going To Take Some Time' hasn't aged as well as their other hits. I still love the piano parts and Karen's vocals, but it's got a heck of a lot of 'oohs' that get a little carried away at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom