Bill Evans tangent

Status
Not open for further replies.

William

(re: http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=965 -- first of all, that Cal Tjader cover is great. I don't want to go too far afield with Bill Evans talk in the Brazil forum, so...)

Neil, what's not to like about Trio '64? It may not be up to Sunday At The Village Vanguard standards, but otherwise it's got everything you'd expect from a Bill Evans trio record: swing and sensitivity foremost, plus Paul Motian's return to the trio (filling in for Larry Bunker).

That album aside, my favorite Evans on Verve would be his third-stream project With Symphony Orchestra, arranged by Claus Ogerman, with the underappreciated Larry Bunker back on drums. Great winter music too.

- William

That's the only Bill Evans I ever bought, and it really didn't do much for me...not my cup of tea, I guess. I really liked the first track on the CD (which I'd heard on a sampler, hence I bought Trio '64), but while the rest wasn't bad, I wouldn't go out of my way to play it much.

One CD I liked was David Benoit's tribute to Bill Evans, called Letter To Evan (this was one of his 'jazz trio' recordings).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom