🎷 AotW: Jazz Bill Evans Trio - TRIO '65

Jazz releases not on the CTi or Horizon labels.

How Would You rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• * (Worst)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Bill Evans Trio
TRIO '65
Verve Records V6-8613

Released 1965

Produced by Creed Taylor

Songs:
1. Israel (John Carisi) - 4:46
2. Elsa (Earl Zindars) - 4:19
3. 'Round Midnight (Thelonious Monk/Cootie Williams/Bernie Hanighen) - 6:39
4. Our Love Is Here To Stay (George Gershwin/Ira Gershwin) - 3:59
5. How My Heart Sings (Earl Zindars) - 2:46
6. Who Can I Turn To? (Leslie Bricusse/Anthony Newley) - 4:51
7. Come Rain Or Come Shine (Harold Arlen/Johnny Mercer) - 5:23
8. If You Could See Me Now (Tadd Dameron/Carl Sigman) - 4:46
Musicians:
Bill Evans - Piano
Chuck Israels - Bass
Larry Bunker - Drums

Recorded February 3, 1965
Engineered by Rudy Van Gelder
Director of Engineering: Val Valentin
Cover Photo by Fred Seligo
Cover Design by Acy R. Lehman
Liner notes by Don Nelsen

Capt. Bacardi

Can't say I've heard this one yet, but I've only just started really getting into the Bill Evans catalog. I do seem to prefer the Riverside albums--the two Village Vanguard albums are a peak for me (Sunday Night At TVV and Waltz For Debby--they are like comfort food for the soul), and I also like Explorations from 1961. Trio '64 is one of the early CDs I bought in fact, and I liked that one. But, I did not really care for Conversations With Myself all that much--it seemed a bit too much like a gimmick. He has such a vast catalog that it is difficult to dive in and really "get it" without focusing on just a couple of albums at a time.

Overall I like his lyrical approach to jazz. That makes Evans more listenable for me than some of the others who are a bit too "out there" for my taste.

This is a really nice album by Bill Evans. He's recorded some of these tunes before but on this album they still sound fresh. The interplay between the three musicians is exceptional as if in a conversation.

The only thing I don't like is the sound of the piano itself. I only have this on CD so I don't know if the LP has the same issues. But the piano has a very muddy sound to it. I don't know if it's because of the way it was mic'ed, or if this is just the Rudy Van Gelder method of recording it. I know some of the RVG reissues suffer from poor sounds. A couple of the Miles Davis reissues had the same problem. But that aside this is some very enjoyable music.

Capt. Bacardi

I voted 4 stars for this fine lp. One of Bill Evans best. The tune "Israel" is an under recorded gem. This was written by Johnny Carisi and Evans really covers it well. Other notable tunes are the beautiful "Elsa" and a top notch version of "Our Love Is Here To Stay". I agree with the Captain (in his review) when he complimented the interplay between the musicians. They really do play as one. Evans is so easy to listen to, perfect on a rainy day.

Evans is so easy to listen to, perfect on a rainy day.
For me, Evans is one of those artists I can listen to late at night and yes, it can also work well on a rainy or snowy day. As I had said above, I think it's that lyricism in his playing that really appeals to me; the tight interplay makes the music that much better. He could play and improvise with the best of them, but it all goes down easy, like a good single-malt Scotch or hot-buttered rum. :wink: When I do play some Bill Evans, it is usually a few albums in a row, usually from the same basic era (like the Riverside era, or the Verve era).

On New Year's Eve 2015 I went into a Bill Evans frenzy and ended up acquiring around 40 of his albums, including this one. It's hard to recall the impression this one made as a distinct entity, so I'll have to spin it again and report back. Bill Evans is my favorite jazz performer bar none, and I look forward to revisiting this.

I finally had a chance to give this one a spin. "Elsa" is one of my favorites of Evans', and he does a nice job of it here. (It appears on one of his Riverside albums also; this Trio '65 version has a bit more life to it IMHO.) This will definitely get some play in the coming winter months. One thing impressing me on this album, as with his others, is that he can have all of this interplay among the musicians, and all can take some fine solos, but the music in no way alienates anyone who may just be a casual fan of piano jazz (or not even a jazz fan at all). That lyrical melodicism is one thing I really like about his playing, and I've found that in later pianists I have listened to that I like (Lyle Mays in particular), I am not surprised most were strongly influenced by Evans.

The only thing I don't like is the sound of the piano itself. I only have this on CD so I don't know if the LP has the same issues. But the piano has a very muddy sound to it. I don't know if it's because of the way it was mic'ed, or if this is just the Rudy Van Gelder method of recording it. I know some of the RVG reissues suffer from poor sounds.

I will find out soon enough. I have the ORG (label) vinyl coming next week. Bernie Grundman remastered it to two 45RPM discs. Not my favorite format, but it will sound about as true to the master tapes as possible. And, only 2,500 copies are being pressed (at RTI, one of the better pressing plants running today). Trio 64 is on Verve vinyl, so I don't know who mastered it, but that is coming also. I may be able to get ahold of some equipment to do a needle drop for comparison of the Trio 65 album. From the CD version I have (unknown, but I don't think it's the RVG edition), the piano sounds fairly good.

I am also trying to locate good sounding versions of Sunday at the Village Vanguard and Waltz for Debby, and possibly Explorations, but thanks to the copyright expiration in the EU, there are some really janky labels putting out vinyl (like WaxTime, and others I've never heard of, some with new, ghastly cover art). And the OJC vinyl I've had not the best luck with. There were other reissues but some are out of print and very pricey.

I do wonder why the Verve albums get overlooked in comparison to the Riversides. There is some good music in those grooves, but you don't see umpteen reissues of them. Then again, Fantasy/OJC will license anything to anyone, to make a quick buck. CCR is another group that is licensed out often. Both Bill Evans and CCR have more remasterings than I have unmatched socks!

Another Bill Evans title I started listening to over the past couple of days is Empathy with Shelly Manne and Monty Budwig:

91B2NcbcLCL._SX355_.jpg

I really like this one. It is more lively and upbeat than other recordings of his, IMHO. Also another Verve title. To me, it seems those Riverside recordings get all of the attention yet I am not finding any fault with these Verve titles (outside of Conversations With Myself which I've never really cared for).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom