Billboard Article by Paul Grein - Remembering Carpenters, 50 Years After Their Hot 100 Debut

^^The article by Paul Grein reads:
"Few singers have sung heartbreak ballads as well as Karen Carpenter -- because, we know now, she could relate.
Bettis
, Richard's songwriting partner, alluded to that aspect of her vocal persona in the title he came up with for Carpenters' first album following Karen's death: Voice of the Heart.

^^The article by Paul Grein reads:
"Few singers have sung heartbreak ballads as well as Karen Carpenter -- because, we know now, she could relate.
Bettis
, Richard's songwriting partner, alluded to that aspect of her vocal persona in the title he came up with for Carpenters' first album following Karen's death: Voice of the Heart.
Thanks, GaryAlan. Somehow I missed that.

A nice overview of the duo's career, but as with many retrospectives on their career, I think it shortchanges Richard on not only his contributions to the act but also his prowess as a musician.

Paul Grein's article is rightly effusive about Karen's abilities, both vocally and musically; she was a transcendent talent with her voice and a trailblazing pioneer as a drummer for girls and women.

Still, there should have been more said about what Richard brought to the duo besides his skills at producing and arranging. His songwriting, which sometimes included lyrics as well as music. "Goodbye to Love" is duly noted by Grein as one of the first power ballads, but no mention is made that Richard wrote the music for that trendsetting song.

Likewise his talents on the keyboards went unmentioned as well, yet there are several songs where Richard's piano playing truly stands out, including "It's Going to Take Some Time," "This Masquerade," "Close to You" and of course, "Dizzy Fingers."

And I have to say I would be opposed to any induction of Karen into a music hall of fame without Richard unless the organization only honored women for their contributions to popular music. His contributions merit induction as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom