BILLBOARD Holiday Hot 100

Anybody have access to the full Billboard Holiday Hot 100 Chart(s)? You can only see the first 20 in the magazine. If you do, please give status updates to any holiday Carpenters songs making the charts this 2022 season. Wondering if there are songs other than Merry Christmas Darling and Home for the Holidays (that both appear on the Billboard Greatest of All-time Holiday 100 Songs list) that will show up.

There’s a Billboard Top 112 Christmas songs on Sirius XM. Carpenters have 3 titles on it. MCD is somewhere in the 40’s. The other 2 are way back. I was disappointed, but not surprised at the rankings. It’s still a mystery why the other 2 actual singles get little or no airplay at all. I don’t think I’ve heard either one on air in decades. Just my cd player, and now my iPhone.
#109 Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas..

It got at high as #18 last night. Not too bad for an album that’s 44 years old. BTW the Spike Jones XMAS Spectacular is available on iTunes now. You can see how much K&R borrowed from it for C.P. I’m not a fan of Spike's kid voice, but for the 50’s it’s okay. It has some of the almost exact medleys.
I’m was listing to The Angel In The Christmas Play, and now Christmas Alphabet!
Pretty cleaver they used it to make the best Christmas album ever.

Paul Grein posted today (12/08/22) on Billboard's website: "Billboard’s Top 25 Holiday Albums, From Crosby & Cole to Bublé & Bocelli"
Christmas Portrait (1978) coming in at #17. If you read through all of Grein's notes for all 25 albums, you might notice something different between CP and the other 24 albums on the list. He refers to all artists by their last names except when he gets to CP, he refers to Karen and Richard by their first names. And Karen is the only vocalist he says something about the quality of the voice ("Karen Carpenter’s warm, intimate voice was perfectly suited to Christmas songs."). Clearly a softie when it comes to KC/RC. :uhhuh:

He’s a huge fan. Always has nice things to say about them. If it was strictly up to him, it probably rank much higher.

Paul Grein posted today (12/08/22) on Billboard's website: "Billboard’s Top 25 Holiday Albums, From Crosby & Cole to Bublé & Bocelli"
Christmas Portrait (1978) coming in at #17.
Speaking of Michael Buble, his album at #2 on the list is really excellent - he has an easy, mellow style that is a pleasure to listen to (not unlike Karen's, but nowhere near as awesomely beautiful) - if Karen's voice is "The Voice of Christmas" then Michael is moving up as a strong contender for 2nd place - here's his "Big Band arrangement" version of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" from that album:

Mariah Carey is the Queen of Christmas!! (snicker) just teasing...I like her....but I love Karen....

Christmas Portrait (1978) coming in at #17. If you read through all of Grein's notes for all 25 albums, you might notice something different between CP and the other 24 albums on the list. He refers to all artists by their last names except when he gets to CP, he refers to Karen and Richard by their first names. And Karen is the only vocalist he says something about the quality of the voice ("Karen Carpenter’s warm, intimate voice was perfectly suited to Christmas songs."). Clearly a softie when it comes to KC/RC. :uhhuh:

that list angers me... bing at #23? LAME k&r @ 17? wth!

It got at high as #18 last night. Not too bad for an album that’s 44 years old. BTW the Spike Jones XMAS Spectacular is available on iTunes now. You can see how much K&R borrowed from it for C.P. I’m not a fan of Spike's kid voice, but for the 50’s it’s okay. It has some of the almost exact medleys.
I’m was listing to The Angel In The Christmas Play, and now Christmas Alphabet!
Pretty cleaver they used it to make the best Christmas album ever.
Definitely! I've heard it in several! Especially They First Snow Fall/Let It Snow.

Back
Top Bottom