Billboard’s “28 Female-Fronted Bands That Rule”

Additionally, Billboard, this week....5/19/2022:

Best 30 Lullabies of All Time: Top Songs for Baby’s Sleep Time...Baby One More Nursery Rhyme.​

"We’ve rounded up the 30 all-time greatest nursery rhymes. Among this baby songs list is everything from the childhood classics to soothing songs from Sarah McLachlan, the Chicks, Disney movies and more. Check out the full list of lullabies for babies, but it’s BYOP – Bring Your Own Pacifier.
And don’t be surprised if you doze off yourself."
#13 We've Only Just Begun:
"This 1970 soft rock smash from the Carpenters hit No. 2 on the Hot 100 and demonstrates the warm, inviting quality of the late Karen Carpenter’s voice."

Here:

Additionally, Billboard, this week....5/19/2022:

Best 30 Lullabies of All Time: Top Songs for Baby’s Sleep Time...Baby One More Nursery Rhyme.​

"We’ve rounded up the 30 all-time greatest nursery rhymes. Among this baby songs list is everything from the childhood classics to soothing songs from Sarah McLachlan, the Chicks, Disney movies and more. Check out the full list of lullabies for babies, but it’s BYOP – Bring Your Own Pacifier.
And don’t be surprised if you doze off yourself."
#13 We've Only Just Begun:
"This 1970 soft rock smash from the Carpenters hit No. 2 on the Hot 100 and demonstrates the warm, inviting quality of the late Karen Carpenter’s voice."

Here:
...and maybe "Crystal Lullaby". Tometimes when I...:laugh::laugh:

It’s on the “Lullabies For Little Dreamers”cd, on Kid Rhino cd. Great artists, cut 6 on the disc. It’s out of print, but cheap used copies are out there for those who want it.

Our favorite duo got a nice shout-out in Billboard this week:

Thanks, Chris. Interesting!

I know it wasn't the intention of the post but, for something to do on a nice, sunny Sunday afternoon; my thoughts....

Debbie Harry of Blondie... Fair enough. Gladys Knight - had to be included. Amazing, soulful, expressive, spot-on voice that is perfect every time. Karen Carpenter - Yes, I'll pay that. Beautiful voice, faultless interpreter of lyrics, as well as a fine instrumentalist. Marie Fredriksson - Good at what she did, from a particular time-period. Annie Lennox - Great vocalist, songwriter, artist, performer and producer. Lisa Lisa of Cult Jam - I knew them at the time but the fact that I can't remember any of their songs suggests that I wasn't into them. Gwen Stefani, (No Doubt), Shirley Manson of Garbage, Florence of Florence and the Machine - Good at what they did, in their particular genres, so fair enough. By the way, my mate chanced upon Shirley Manson signing albums once when on tour and, for some reason, he caught her eye, so he waved to her; she smiled and waved back. Delores from The Cranberries - They had that good song, 'Zombie'. Siouxsie and The Banshees - I guess she represents the new wave / punk / rock movement coming out of Britain in the late 70s / early 80s but she wasn't necessarily the best of the British female performers in that movement, in my opinion. There were some brilliant artists amongst them.

In the 'Never Heard of Them' category for me, The Pretty Reckless, The Heartless Bastards, Paramore, Sydney Sierota and her Siblings, Sleigh Bells, Alabama Shacks, MisterWives, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Dad Weather, Crystal Castles, Hurray for the Riff Raff, Screaming Females, She & Him and Selena Gomez & The Scene. And I know I should remember some of Evanescence's music, but I don't.

Of course, they couldn't include everyone, but some glaring omissions out of the American performers in this list are Tina Tuner of Ike & Tina Turner, Patti Labelle of Labelle, Chaka Khan of Rufus and, in the softer vein, Marilyn McCoo of The Fifth Dimension; plus, like Stevie Nicks or not, (and I suppose she wasn't technically the lead singer of Fleetwood Mac), she is iconic.

Inevitably, a list like this will be culturally biased. It's natural for a magazine mainly supporting the music of a specific country to mainly be concerned with acts from that country, and I accept that. The American music industry is largely for American consumers and profit to America, so is largely going to select artists who the American public can relate to.... and that's likely to mainly be Americans. That's natural. However, it's great that the magazine has also recognised the contributions of great acts from Britain, who were / are also big in America. And there are many more.

People from countries not represented are going to have their own favourites, so a shout out to some of the great Aussie women who front / fronted bands or duos. The performers who I have mentioned are / were top songwriters, musicians, vocalists and producers:- Chrissy Amphlett of Divinyls, Suze DeMarchi of Baby Animals, Connie Mitchell of Primary and Sneaky Sound System, Tania Doko of Bachelor Girl, Rose Bygrave and Marcia Howard of Goanna, Deni Hines of Rockmelons, Wendy Stapleton of Wendy and The Rocketts, Lin Buckfield of Electric Pandas, Chrissie and Lyndsay Hammond of Cheetah, Grace Knight of Eurogliders and Jenny Morris, (New Zealander), of QED.

Thanks for indulging me with my musings.

Last edited:
Marilyn McCoo of The Fifth Dimension; plus, like Stevie Nicks or not, (and I suppose she wasn't technically the lead singer of Fleetwood Mac), she is iconic.

I suppose you could make the argument that Marilyn and Stevie weren't "THE" lead singers of their respective groups. The list apparently is calling out those women who were the sole front-standing focus of the group. Fleetwood Mac's most famous lineup of course actually had three lead singers, and I've always thought of the Fifth Dimension as being a "vocal group" with two people who did occasional solo spots.

I didn't think The Corrs would get a mention. They're often ignored by the US media.

I suppose you could make the argument that Marilyn and Stevie weren't "THE" lead singers of their respective groups. The list apparently is calling out those women who were the sole front-standing focus of the group. Fleetwood Mac's most famous lineup of course actually had three lead singers, and I've always thought of the Fifth Dimension as being a "vocal group" with two people who did occasional solo spots.
Yes, I think you’re right, Mike.

Back
Top Bottom