BJ’s Gone........

Another Son

Sad that BJ Thomas has died. I go for almost all genres of music and what you might call Easy Listening is an area that I love. I know BJ was never an A&M artist but how delicious all those songs were - ‘Raindrops Keep Falling On my Head’, ‘Rock ‘n’ Roll Lullaby’, ‘Hooked On a Feeling’, ‘Mama’, ‘Hey, Won’t You Play Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song?’, ‘Whatever Happened to Old Fashioned Love?’, ‘Mighty Clouds of Joy’, ‘I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry’...... the list of great BJ songs goes on and on. And what a voice!

The song "Whatever Happened To Old Fashioned Love" was the last swan song which peaked at # 93 (Billboard Hot 100) in June 1983.

I loved the way B. J. Thomas sang. Such a great voice.

I listened to "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" again today. Interestingly I always thought that the trumpet solos in the middle and at the end of the song sounded like Herb Alpert. It's not him playing though - it's Chuck Findley, who was a heavy-duty session guy and a member of the Wrecking Crew - but I feel like they were going for a Herb Alpert sound. And in fact, Findley also played the solo in the Carpenters' "Close To You", which I had always assumed was Herb Alpert, since they were on A&M.

Chuck Findley, who was a heavy-duty session guy and a member of the Wrecking Crew - but I feel like they were going for a Herb Alpert sound. And in fact, Findley also played the solo in the Carpenters' "Close To You", which I had always assumed was Herb Alpert, since they were on A&M.

If you were around back then, you'd find many trumpet parts in many songs that gave a nod to the style of Herb Alpert. That sound was all over pop music in the mid-late 60s and early 70s.

Back
Top Bottom