Black Orpheus (Orpheo Negro?) disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIML26

I understand this was part of the soundtrack of a film, recorded by S.M. & Co.

Anyone any idea what disk this might be on - or maybye it's a "stand alone" disk with only the soundtrack music?

Thanks!

This is what I found at www.oldies.com from "Collectible Records"
Original soundtrack from the documentary "Pele" " Sergio Mendes in person
at the El Matador!/ favorite things/ Pele" CD $12.97

" Sergio Mendes became the world's best selling Bossa Nova artist in the '60s. These three original Atlantic jazz recordings include collaborations with the famed producer and keyboardist Dave Grusin, sax player and flutist
Tom Scott, and sax player Gerry Mulligan. Highlights include a live version of
"The Black Orpheus medley" "I say a little prayer," and the music that accompanied the documentary "Pele". Original soundtrack released in 1965
on Atlantic Records."
Hope this helps :)

I see that UMVD,in there ongoing greed,has really raised the price on this CD. $18.98 list- WOW! I remember when that was $14.98 during the PGD days. Of note on the CD is the bonus track-basically 1/2 of the LP "Bola Sete at the Monterey Jazz Festival"-a 13 minute+ rousing acoustic guitar medley with all the Brazilian percussion tricks thrown in. Cannot critique the remastering of the actual CD-my old LP is pretty muddy and I've wondered if it was the fault of the source material. As fascinating as this film is,it is a fairly low budget art film. I suspect if Verve remastered the ST they would delete the Bola Sete bonus material but keep the price high. Mac

jimac51 said:
I see that UMVD,in there ongoing greed,has really raised the price on this CD. $18.98 list- WOW!

I did a double-take as well. An older catalog item like this certainly doesn't rate top-gouge pricing.

jimac51 said:
As fascinating as this film is,it is a fairly low budget art film. I suspect if Verve remastered the ST they would delete the Bola Sete bonus material but keep the price high. Mac

No doubt. The only date shown at CDNow is 1959, the original recording date. The only track I've heard from this recording is "A Felicidade", from a Verve Bossa Nova compilation. I'd get this soundtrack if it weren't so overpriced. Time to look at half.com...

-= N =-

Sergio & Brasil '65 recorded their medley of "Black Orpheus" themes (by Bonfa and Jobim) on the 1966 live album In Person At El Matador. It's a great album and the medley is a high point.

Favorite Things (1967) and Pele (mid-'70s) have no connection to "Black Orpheus."

- William

William said:
Favorite Things (1967) and Pele (mid-'70s) have no connection to "Black Orpheus."

But Favorite Things has our favorite string arranger on it! :wink:

Funny...I took the original question in this topic as being about Mendes having a recording on the original film soundtrack. Which it's not...but like many others, just about everyone covered a song from Black Orpheus back then. I'd equate its influence with another film phenomenon: this soundtrack is like the West Side Story of Brazilian music. One of my favorites is the Vince Guaraldi Trio album Jazz Impressions Of Black Orpheus, which combines one of my favorite jazz formats (jazz piano trio) with some great songs. What really rubbed me the wrong way, though, was that Vegas-ey mutation of "Morning Of the Carnival" into "A Day In The Life Of A Fool"...which makes me grate my teeth.

The Guaraldi I have on a DCC Jazz reissue CD, which is miles ahead of Fantasy's own CD pressing of it. I'd copied my mother's original Fantasy CD onto DAT, looking forward to buying it at some point in the future. When I accidentally came across a used copy of the DCC Jazz version, I easily parted with the $12 it cost. The quality's so good that this could have been recorded yesterday. The Fantasy CD makes it sound as old as it really is.

-= N =-
...the discerning listener's guide to Black Orpheus...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom