Bless the beasts

Proudofyou

Why don't I ever listen to this more? Why do I forget it even exists?? This needs to be remastered. And so appropriate for what is going on today. Click on the video on YouTube and look at the cover the movie!! A friggin gun. This needs to be heard.

I remember finding a used copy of the soundtrack around 1975, and hearing the original mix for the first time.What a surprise to hear a different recording. I love this song and either version, including the re-recorded version on ASFU,is fine with me. Karen’s vocals are at their best, and it could have been a single on it's own I think. It did chart of course, but as a b-side. One of the girls in our high school chamber choir performed it at a Miss Kern County pageant in early 1973, and was crowned the winner. She had a nice alto voice too. Maybe RPO Volume 2? Definitely one of Carpenters finest performances for sure, and fond memories for sure.

that's what I was thinking. remastered with rpo. I would have preferred this than I believe you.....sorry, just my taste. best wishes to all!

This is one of my favorite Carpenters songs, on my favorite album of theirs. I think the song is uplifting, but the movie (and the book) are pretty melancholy. I don't really care what version I hear, although I like the movie version the best by a slight margin.

As for the gun on the movie poster...again, if you've seen the movie you'll know that it is totally appropriate for the story. That's one of my favorite movie posters.

[Moderator note: the following posts were moved over from a HORIZON thread.]
I know it’s in been asked and discussed another thread, I believe without a final answer, but always wonder what happened to “B.L.”
Agreed! Unfortunately, there are many hits for Bob or Robert L. Mitchell on FamilySearch. I wonder if those master tapes still exist. (Also ask myself the same question re: Bless the Beasts and Children soundtrack master tapes.)

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Agreed! Unfortunately, there are many hits for Bob or Robert L. Mitchell on FamilySearch. I wonder if those master tapes still exist. (Also ask myself the same question re: Bless the Beasts and Children soundtrack master tapes.)
The Soundtrack version of Bless The Beasts and Children was issued on CD in 2006 in the giant Japanese Singles box set. I’m not too sure what it’s source was (might’ve been the actual soundtrack album master, or a 3rd or 4th generation tape from Japan. At worst they denoised a Japanese 45.). So there is digital master of the song, but so far that’s been the only digital release—-the album has never received a digital release.

The Soundtrack version of Bless The Beasts and Children was issued on CD in 2006 in the giant Japanese Singles box set. I’m not too sure what it’s source was (might’ve been the actual soundtrack album master, or a 3rd or 4th generation tape from Japan. At worst they denoised a Japanese 45.)
Oh, I was referring to the whole album, not the soundtrack version of the song -- although would love to hear that digitized from a tape source as well!

Oh, I was referring to the whole album, not the soundtrack version of the song -- although would love to hear that digitized from a tape source as well!
I was just looking up something else and I noticed, and this may be why there’s been no digital edition of the album, but the rights to the different tracks may no longer be fully controlled by A&M/Universal. The Cotton’s Dream track on the album later became popular (and better known as) Nadia’s Theme for Romanian 1976 Olympian Nadia Comaneci and The Young and the Restless soap opera. Now then that 1971 A&M recording was reissued digitally in 2003 from Eric Records on the CD Hard To Find Orchestral Instrumentals II. Also, while it was defunct by 1971, Barry De Vorzon did have a record label in the 1960’s. So he may‘be had an agreement with A&M that after X number of years, the album rights reverted to him, with the exception of the Carpenters track.

I was just comparing my BLESS THE BEASTS AND CHILDREN soundtrack album with the track issued on the 2006 Japan Single Box. I detect a lot of what sounds like over-modulation distortion on the Japan track that's not found on my LP. It occurs from about 1:45 - 2:00 into the record. I also think the Japan version is not quite aligned properly in phase, as I was able to shift one channel a sample or two to get them to line up. That might be a tell-tale that they DID use a tape source, but the track alignment wasn't quite right for the tape that they played back. My LP seems to be in perfect phase.

I was just comparing my BLESS THE BEASTS AND CHILDREN soundtrack album with the track issued on the 2006 Japan Single Box. I detect a lot of what sounds like over-modulation distortion on the Japan track that's not found on my LP. It occurs from about 1:45 - 2:00 into the record. I also think the Japan version is not quite aligned properly in phase, as I was able to shift one channel a sample or two to get them to line up. That might be a tell-tale that they DID use a tape source, but the track alignment wasn't quite right for the tape that they played back. My LP seems to be in perfect phase.
I just did a comparison with headphones and I can definitely hear the distortion at 1:45 with the ahhh's on the Japan Single Box. I also have the original LP soundtrack and listened to that and (at least on my LP) I am still hearing the same distortion with the ahhh's at that point. It doesn't sound quite as bad on the LP soundtrack but I'm still hearing it. It sounds like the kinda of distortion you hear on vinyl when it tends to get loud during a few seconds or more on a song, like this one with the ahhh's.

Funny thing, I have the mono 45 of Bless the Beasts (of course it's not the original soundtrack version) but there is no distortion at this same time with the ahh's.

I only have a few Japan 45's but unfortunately not for this song.

I forgot I even wrote this. Glad it's back again because I still think it's one of my favorites. I'm glad I don't listen to it too much because it keeps it special.

I forgot I even wrote this. Glad it's back again because I still think it's one of my favorites. I'm glad I don't listen to it too much because it keeps it special.

Agreed, this reminded me that I haven't listened to this song in far too long. Going to change that this evening :)

Back
Top Bottom