• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Bless The Beasts

Was the soundtrack version ever released in the US on a 45 rpm?
There was a WLP 45 of Bless the Beasts in mono but it wasn't the soundtrack version.

I noticed that it appears Japan did issue the soundtrack version on a 45 rpm.
The notes on this says from the original soundtrack and the cover has photos from the soundtrack.

https://www.discogs.com/release/112...he-Beasts-Children/image/SW1hZ2U6MzE3OTM5MjM=

MzYtMTY2My5qcGVn.jpeg

NDEtMjUxOS5qcGVn.jpeg

This thread got me playing around with the audio to the soundtrack version. Many may know that the album was released in vinyl and the tape formats of the day, but when it came to CDs, it never appeared in the US. Japan issued it on mini-CD in that Japan Single Box Set, so one would think that would be the place to start. But after analyzing the audio to that mini CD, I came to the conclusion that my LP was a better source.

Listening to my prior cleanup, I found that I'd left a bit of very minor clicks and pops, and I've fixed those. I also noticed that when checking the phase of the recording, Karen's vocals seemed tilted to the left. Just altering the levels didn't totally fix that either, so I started digging deeper into the sample level. As I've done with other recordings, generally from a tape source, I found that the left channel was slightly ahead of the right channel by something like two or three samples. And I double checked the channel balance to make sure that her vocals were the same relative levels in the peaks and valleys of the waveform.

I think this came out better than the Japan CD and I'll share the WAV file in my OneDrive to anyone who wants it. I'll leave it up there for a few days, so grab it if you want it.

OneDrive file:
01 Bless The Beasts And Children (Carpenters).wav
This is the version I was familiar in the 1970s, because my Japanese compilation LP included this version.
I have been thinking I have to buy or not the expensive "Japan Single Box Set" for years.
Today, you solved my problem completely!!!
Thank you so much, Harry.

In Japan it was released an A side single, with Help as the B side. The Japanese single for Superstar has Merry Christmas Darling as it’s B side. It is indeed the soundtrack album version of Bless The Beasts. The box set is definitely worth getting, even though it’s expensive. The sound quality is not as quiet as the American set though.

This discussion about what instruments Karen played besides her well-known prowess on the drums makes me wonder: What else can Richard play besides keyboard instruments? Can he play guitar or the drums?

In Japan it was released an A side single, with Help as the B side. The Japanese single for Superstar has Merry Christmas Darling as it’s B side. It is indeed the soundtrack album version of Bless The Beasts. The box set is definitely worth getting, even though it’s expensive. The sound quality is not as quiet as the American set though.
I agree with you. The box set is beautiful and worth having.
But, I am not a hard collector, and my problem was that I have to buy or not for just one particular version of Bless The Beasts.
Now, my problem was solved by Harry, and I am very happy.

This discussion about what instruments Karen played besides her well-known prowess on the drums makes me wonder: What else can Richard play besides keyboard instruments? Can he play guitar or the drums?

He played vibraphones with Karen on the 'Hush' album and is also a talented burpist like Karen 😂. Other than that I think it's just piano/keyboards, but when you're also a producer, arranger, composer and conductor, what else do you need to play? :)

Back
Top Bottom