BMB: High energy vs. Low key

Silentseason

The BMB has always been my favorite A & M artist, and I think one of the definitive aspects that contributed to it was their seemless ability to combine raucous, fun-filled joy and slower, subtle sonic gorgeousness on the same album (Swan Waltz/Red Hot Llamas, Sabor A Mi/Gay Ranchero for example). Posing a question for the Forum: if you have a preference for the BMB's output would it be the faster songs, slower songs or both. Myself I would pick the slower compositions, as I think they serve the marimba better.

I like the faster tunes best because they allow for the sense of fun you mentioned, and they have some great marimba gymnastics in them. ("I'll Marimba You" from Fresh Air being a great example.)

The biggest downside to the slow songs is, they tend to make the band fall into the generic E-Z Listening category because those songs sound like elevator music.

With many other artists I like, the slower tunes have grown on me as I've gotten older, but I have always felt the same way about the BMB songs -- faster is better, that's just my two cents.

I agree there is the Muzak risk with the slower songs, but I feel those tunes were so richly textured they have transcended that designation.

I for one Enjoy Every Aspect of the BMB sound I think there was a Great Balance between the Fast and Slow tunes so I have to say Both because in their case Everything worked out well and naturally I have my personal favorites like everybody else

I for one Enjoy Every Aspect of the BMB sound
Bobberman speaks for me. Unlike the TJB and B66, the BMB never exhibited a lull; in fact they ended their A&M recording career at the top. Julius was an extremely talented percussionist and a top-notch arranger.

Back
Top Bottom