The Bob Messenger thread

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
Bob Messenger, who played many signature sax and flute solos on several of the Carpenters' albums—along with electric bass during many of their live shows, passed away over the weekend.

I will be updating Richard's Instagram page with a personal note from Richard shortly.

In the meantime, I did an interview with Bob back in 2016, for those who haven't heard it:

A talented man! How sad - another of the Carpenters’ core group gone. Signals the ending of an era. He contributed much to Carpenters’ sound - the delicious flute solos on ‘It’s Going to Take Some Time’, ‘Road Ode’ and ‘This Maquerade’, as well as many others, and the wonderful sax on ‘Rainy Days & Mondays’, ‘Merry Christmas, Darling’ and ‘A Song For You’, etc. not to mention bass on a slew of recordings and all his live work with them.

Last edited:
Bob Messenger, who played many signature sax and flute solos on several of the Carpenters' albums—along with electric bass during many of their live shows, passed away over the weekend.

I will be updating Richard's Instagram page with a personal note from Richard shortly.

In the meantime, I did an interview with Bob back in 2016, for those who haven't heard it:

I just listened to this interview again. Thanks for re-posting, Chris. No wonder Bob had such a nice, calm energy about him on all those videos and on the footage of all the concerts - “I didn’t know what I was doing there - I wasn’t that great!” he says, or something like that. Well, the sax and flute solos on the above songs sound pretty good to me!! I think he really did have a calmness that came right off the screen, somehow. Humble, it seems.

So sorry to hear this. He was such a versatile musician.

I had the good fortune to hear him perform with Richard in the fall of 1985 when Richard appeared in concert with the Garden Grove Symphony Orchestra.

Sad to hear. So that leaves only Danny, Cubby and Gary as musicians who were part of the Carpenters touring entourage during their heyday. Though his time with the band was limited, I wonder if Jim Squeglia (Anthony) is in good health and still residing in New Haven?

Thanks Chris for posting this. I am so sorry to hear about Bob's passing such a valuable asset to the Carpenters. My condolences and prayers go out to his family and friends including Richard and Mary! Thanks again Chris ....

I just listened to this interview again. Thanks for re-posting, Chris. No wonder Bob had such a nice, calm energy about him on all those videos and on the footage of all the concerts - “I didn’t know what I was doing there - I wasn’t that great!” he says, or something like that. Well, the sax and flute solos on the above songs sound pretty good to me!! I think he really did have a calmness that came right off the screen, somehow. Humble, it seems.
hi guys.....
May bob rest in heavenly rest
see ya.
Luís

Versatile and super-talented - and always highly tasteful - "what he was doing there" was being exactly where he should have been: with a band full of similarly endowed musical artists - loved his sax & flute solos! My only complaint was that several of them were too short, and could and should have been extended on the album versions...RIP (and say hello to Karen for us).

Rest in Peace, Bob...

6a7db6017897e16a734261befe2bc.jpg

Oh, man, I'm so sorry to hear this news. Bob was a massive talent and certainly a big part of the lives of everyone on this site and far beyond.

Rest In Peace, Bob, and thank you for the music!

So sorry to hear this. Bob was an incredibly talented musician yet so humble. Best wishes to all his family. Very sad.

So sad and sorry to hear this... His many wonderful sax and flute solos (Jambalaya/Mr. Guder and the unplugged Japan telethon performance immediately spring to mind) will never be forgotten, as well as his bass playing of course on stage...and vocals on Sleighride. Much strength to his family and loved ones. Goodbye Bob, and thank you!! 🎷

I haven't been on this Forum as much lately; that tends to happen as the Holidays approach. So sad to see and hear this. I had read that Bob still played in the Newport Beach area and as that is my favorite place to vacation, I had planned on trying to see him play. Alas, Covid limited travel plans these last 18 months.

Was there ever an obit published?

Not that I’ve seen, no.

Rick Gerber, leader of the Glenn Miller Orchestra sent Richard an email about a week and a half ago. Mary read it to us while we were standing in the kitchen.

I'm curious to know if anyone knows hold old Bob was when he passed...it's strange that I couldn't find anything on Google that had anything related to his passing.

Back
Top Bottom