The Bob Messenger thread

The April 1975 Carpenters fan club newsletter has a short bio of all the band members (at requests of the fans) and it lists each of their birthdays (no yr) Bob’s says September 30th.

I am truly saddened to learn of Bob's death. He was a musician of the highest order. It seemed there wasn't anything he couldn't play; saxophone, flute, bass . . . His contributions to the Carpenters' success were enormous. As a teen, I used to lay in bed at night listening over and over to his soaring sax solo in "A Song for You." Likewise, his sax interlude on Mr. Postman simply made that song the hit it ultimately became. I will miss him, and treasure his music forever.

So many of the Carpenters' cast have passed away; Karen, Tony Peluso, Bob Messenger, Joe Osborne, Doug Strawn. I miss them all . . . and long for those happier days of the late 1960s and early 70s. How I wish it could be Yesterday Once More.
The wonderful Tony Peluso died way too young at the age of 60 from a type of heart disease. Apart from looking a little gaunt, he looked healthy to me.

Just seeing this horrible news now! Bob and Doug were my favorite band members since I saw them in 1970 when I was 7 years old.I fell in love with the trumpet in the 60's. I loved seeing Danny & Gary but when I would see Bob playing flute or sax and Doug on clarinet it just really energized me and still does.I love the humble interview Bob did when he commented about not being very good on bass.I commented on how great a player he was and how much we think of him.I have a couple of photos of him from just a few years ago so I made a photo collage of him a few months ago.This one is tough! Tears flowing as I write this!Thank You for the great music Bob! You were so very talented.I will always have a soft spot in my heart for you.Say hi to Karen,Tony,and Doug.Love You Forever!😥

I met Bob after a Carpenters concert in Dayton in the early 70s.. Still in high school, i did not have a drivers license so my father drove a friend and me to the concert and then all around town after the concert to find the band's hotel. Once discovered, we waited in the lobby for the group to appear. It was late and a school night but I had to meet Carpenters and their band. Finally, they appeared and I met Bob first as he walked through the doors and I shared that I played the alto sax and was intrigued with his Rainy Days solo. He was gracious and talked about the solo. Then I met Karen and Richard and asked them to sign my concert poster that late evening. They were all on their way to a post concert, post dinner gathering in a hotel suite. I remember thinking how tired they must have been but they greeted me all the same. Yet Bob was the first to say hello to a faithful fan! have placed the poster and photo of Karen signing it on the wall in my office. I regret that Bob is not in the photo but remember this evening always.

@Joan Messenger thank you so much for sharing your fond memories of Bob. Your words and thoughts really are a testament to him and the kind of man he was.

In his music, Bob had such a great talent for improvising. Some of my favorite solos with Carpenters were on the flute Road Ode, It’s Going to Take Some Time and Mr. Guder and on sax Rainy Days and Mondays, Merry Christmas Darling and A Song for You (the latter may be my all-time favorite).

I hope you find a bit of comfort in knowing that Bob’s musicality and contributions to Carpenters in particular, will continue to impact fans of great music, forever. His music is immensely enjoyed by this fan.

I'd like to add that Bob seemed a man of great humility. That's a trait I much admire.

@Joan Messenger , can you tell us more about the non-musical side of his life?

I changed the thread title as the thread has become more about the many aspects of Bob's life.

About improv, I shared with Bob that I was not good at that. But I did learn the Rainy Days solo! In addition to the sax, I also purchased and practiced on a Fender Rhodes. Oh how Carepenters (and Bob) influenced my musical tastes. And thank you for sharing Bob with so many!

Just seeing this horrible news now! Bob and Doug were my favorite band members since I saw them in 1970 when I was 7 years old.I fell in love with the trumpet in the 60's. I loved seeing Danny & Gary but when I would see Bob playing flute or sax and Doug on clarinet it just really energized me and still does.I love the humble interview Bob did when he commented about not being very good on bass.I commented on how great a player he was and how much we think of him.I have a couple of photos of him from just a few years ago so I made a photo collage of him a few months ago.This one is tough! Tears flowing as I write this!Thank You for the great music Bob! You were so very talented.I will always have a soft spot in my heart for you.Say hi to Karen,Tony,and Doug.Love You Forever!😥
Would love to see the collage you made of Bob. I'm a sax/clarinet/flute player myself, and I have been learning Bob's solos. I would love to know more about him. Do you or any others on this thread have any more info about him? Where did he grow up? How did he meet the Carps? I also have lots of nerdy woodwind questions about his equipment/set-ups if anyone has info about that...Thanks!

About improv, I shared with Bob that I was not good at that. But I did learn the Rainy Days solo! In addition to the sax, I also purchased and practiced on a Fender Rhodes. Oh how Carepenters (and Bob) influenced my musical tastes. And thank you for sharing Bob with so many!
I've learned that Rainy Days solo, as well as the ones on This Song, It's Gonna Take Some Time, and Mr. Guder. He was an amazing player. I wish there was more information about him available...

Back
Top Bottom