Bobbe Norris Was Offered a Job Singing With Brasil 66 In 1966

Status
Not open for further replies.

lj

I was going through my collection of old 45's and played one of my favorites "The World Is A Wheel" by Bobbe Norris from 1966. I then looked up her name on the Internet and came up an interesting article (see the link below) which said that in 1966 she was offered but refused a j0b singing with Brasil 66! She was discovered by the renown producer John Hammond, the same person who promoted the careers of Benny Goodman, Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen. She released one album in 1966 entitled "The Beginning" on what was then the top record company in the U.S.--Columbia Records. Alas, she wasn't ready for the ruthless rigors of show business. But what a voice she had.

A few words about the Billboard magazine Easy Listening/Middle of the Road record charts from the 1960s. What a time it was--my favorite musical artists and sounds from my teenage years were heard on Easy Listening radio stations with the likes of the TJB, Brasil 66, Baja Marimba Band, Jimmie Rodgers, the 5th Dimension, Sinatra, Streisand, Steve & Eydie, Tony Bennett, Bobbe Norris, Perry Como, Nancy Wilson, Sammy Davis Jr., Vikki Carr, Nat King Cole, Jack Jones, Connie Francis, Tom Jones, the Lettermen etc. You get the idea--for me they were the crème of the crop--the likes of which we will never see again. And this music was heard on the top radio stations in the 1960s, such as NBC Radio Monitor on weekends with hosts Gene Rayburn and Ed McMahon, on WNEW in New York with William B. Williams, on KMPC in Los Angeles with Wink Martindale and KBIG with Ray Willes, and here in San Diego on KFMB, KDEO, and KOGO with Rod Page.

Someone had wrote that the huge popularity of the Tijuana Brass was instrumental in extending this kind of music through the end of the 1960s. By the end of the 1970s, many of these musical performers could no longer be heard on radio and lacked record contracts, and this musical era was over. I know that music appreciation is a very subjective thing, but for Popular music, these artists represented the epitome of musical talent in my lifetime.

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment...elebrates-70th-birthday-with-song-3228299.php

Yes, Harry I sure do remember fondly the Monitor Beacon. See if you remember this beautiful composition--Night Flight To Madrid-- which would open Monitor segments in the late 1960s. NBC Monitor had great music. It also had great interviews and news segments. Monitor had news and commentary from NBC's top talent of Huntley and Brinkley, Morgan Beatty, Edwin Newman, Frank McGee etc. Those were the good old days.

Thanks for pointing that out. I remember it well, but never knew its name.

Harry

I loved Monitor i was fortunate to live in an area with a dedicated full time NBC radio affiliate KTFI 1270AM in twin falls idaho which originally signed on in 1927 And i was sorry to see monitor go in 75 ( i was 8 at the time) but thankfully there is the monitor beacon website which has several audio highlights from the show through its 20 year history as well as some extras including the Final weekend of programs with Big Wilson and John Bartholomew tucker that is some Good Listening there.

Monitor also featured some comedy legends such as the comedy teams of Bob and Ray and Nichols and May (this was just before Mike Nichols became a superstar director). It also featured Al Capp, the creator of the Li'l Abner comic strip. He was known as Monitor's expert on nothing with opinions on everything.

Monitor also featured some comedy legends such as the comedy teams of Bob and Ray and Nichols and May (this was just before Mike Nichols became a superstar director). It also featured Al Capp, the creator of the Li'l Abner comic strip. He was known as Monitor's expert on nothing with opinions on everything.
I always loved Bob & Ray. They were so Hilarious. Great satirical comedy. As a radio Dj now i can say monitor was one of my earliest inspirations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom