Bootleg vinyl question

Song4uman

So I have seen on both eBay and Discogs, vinyl albums and singles of Karen’s unreleased songs.

Are there companies that just make vinyl from whatever you want? Can’t they be sued? Are there home vinyl machines? Shouldn’t those items be pulled off of those major sales sites?

I guess I am naive when it comes to this kind of thing.

Bootleg vinyl has been around for years. Early on it was mostly used for the super-rock-groups like the Beatles, Stones, etc.

Then the bootleggers found it was easier to do at home with cassettes and later CDs.

With the proliferation of bootleg and counterfeit CDs, and the sudden popularity of vinyl, these fakers have moved back to vinyl, making counterfeits of all sorts of titles that sell well as counterfeits on CD.

Unfortunately, there seems to be some outfit up in Canada that is willing to press these fakes, and I'm sorry to say that I believe that someone who has posted here is likely behind a lot of these fake Karen Carpenter vinyl records.

Use your good judgement. Don't support these fakers.

You also have to remember that in some countries there could be loopholes that allow for unreleased recordings or television appearances to be released by any number of companies, because under the copyright laws of those countries, they have been abandoned and are now public domain. A few years ago Capitol started releasing a bunch of digital-only Beach Boys compilation albums that contained unreleased outtakes, otherwise in Europe the copyright would’ve expired.

That could be a potential goldmine for Carpenters fans. There’s also a Beatles set that was just released online only for the same reason.

I can’t see Richard allowing this to happen
with Carpenters outtakes unless he had no control of the situation.

Well in Europe, especially with old TV programs, once a a contract was signed, then the “authors” of the program don’t need to re-license for home video or digital distribution, which is how “Quantum Leap” And “A Muppet Family Christmas” have been released relatively uncut on VHS, DVD and digital over in Europe with no music substitution. (The Muppets Christmas does have cuts, but they were non-music scenes and were cut when the special was remastered on digital tape in 1989. Since then the digital master has been used vs the analog master.)

This is from the NY Times in 2013:

According to that, in 10 years, it’ll be legal for any record company to publish the solo Karen Carpenter tracks in Europe.

Back
Top Bottom