Bossa Nova do Brasil concert from 1966

lj

Here is a musical treasure, as this video from a German November 1966 concert is amazingly-- to the best of my knowledge--the only full video for public viewing of a Bossa Nova concert during its heyday of the late 1950s-60s. What makes this show so special to me is the appearance of the great Sylvia Telles--arguably Bossa's best female vocalist. She was there at Bossa's very beginning in the late 1950s and was a musical force until her untimely death in a December 1966 car accident. That's why the shows header on YouTube showing 1967 is wrong. She and Jobim were close and he even wrote a song to honor her: "Dindi"--her nickname. She was known as a free spirit and lived life to its fullest. But this show is even more than Bossa Nova. For example, it also has Macumba with Marly Tavares doing some incredible dancing with Rubens Bassini as one of the drummers. You have a bit of samba/Carnival music. And as a special treat is Edu Lobo singing two of his songs, as an early example of MPB. I like the way he sings "Reza" (Prayer) slowly, as prayers are usually paced that way. Other versions of Reza seem to be up-tempo. So there you have it--an amazing Brazilian show and time capsule you can see for free. And it doesn't get any better than this.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
"Upa Neginho" has quite a rousing rendition here. One of my favorites of Lobo's. I'll have to watch the rest of this later. đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

The 1967 might have been the air date of the show, even if it were recorded in 1966.

Backing musicians for Sylvia Telles and Edu Lobo were: Dom Savador (p), Sergio Barroso (b), Chico Batera (d), JT Meirelles (flute & sax), Jorge
Arena (perc.), Rubens Bassini (perc.) who joined Sergio Mendes'Brasil'66 (second edition of the group) in 1968.
This fabulous concert featured guitar virtuoso Rosinha de Valença who played with the Sergio Mendes trio on the Brasil'65 LP, including Chico Batera, one year before.
Sylvia Telles, darling of Bossa Nova, cut the fisrt Bossa cover of "Baubles, bangles and beads" on Kapp label the same year (1966), a few months
before Frank Sinatra recorded his famous cover, on the Sinatra/Jobim LP

lj

Thanks braziliandrummers for listing all the participants. They are all truly solid-gold artists.

lj

Is there anyone out there who knows Portuguese and can translate? Here is an interview of the incredibly talented Marly Tavares who did the candomble dance from this Bossa Nova show.

lj

Here is a fantastic song--Surfin' in Rio--performed by Sylvia Telles, and written by Marcos Valle, from her "The Face I Love" album. She sings in English with no accent, and at first I thought the voice might be Joanie Sommers. She sang so marvelously on the above German Bossa Nova video that I had to get her last album released in 1966. It easily rose into my list of top 10 favorite Bossa Nova albums. Sylvia sings effortlessly and beautifully with a light jazz/Bossa vibe. The arranger is the famed Lindolpho Gaya and guitarists/composers Luis Bonfa and Roberto Menescal back her up. This album is a treasured way for me to remember the musical legacy of Sylvia. Tracks from this album are played on a remarkable streaming station--Radio Bossa Nova Brazil. I purchased this album a month ago from Shuga Records in Chicago. Their service was fast and efficient.

Sylvia Telles - Surfin' In Rio (by EarpJohn) - YouTube

Top Bottom