Bossa Rio Live Album

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good score! Great album. It's one that should be re-issued someday.

When watching the French videos on YouTube of Brasil '66 singing Mas Que Nada and Upa Neguinho, it's obvious that Lani and Karen sang very well if they were properly blended into one channel (such as was done with Gracinha and Geri on Live at Carnival -- Brasil '77). The mistake with Expo '70 was in placing Lani in one channel; Karen in the other, which produced an uneven sound.

I remember seeing Brasil '66 live (circa Crystal Illusions) -- believe me...they sounded much better than Expo '70!!

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

The Bossa Rio live album was available on youtube for a while. I have never come across it in all my "music expeditions"... even at the wonderful World Music section of Disk Union in Tokyo which was chock full of 60s/70s vocal bossa brilliance...

It's a rare one, for sure, but it does pop up on ebay from time to time at "reasonable" prices. Great album.

On Discogs, I have a wishlist that will alert me when an item becomes available. That is how I located a sealed Alegria.

Right now there is only one $60 copy of this album listed, but in the coming weeks (months? years?), I'm sure other will be listed. This takes you right to the release:

http://www.discogs.com/Bossa-Rio-Live-In-Japan/release/3438006

And yes, the other "usual suspects" can turn up a copy once in a blue moon. I never tried ordering from GEMM since their interface is too chaotic (too difficult to find what you're looking for). What I like about Discogs is that most sellers list items under the correct release. Original pressing, reissues, releases from different countries...they are all listed there to use. (And we can contribute another if there is no listing.)

I never tried ordering from GEMM since their interface is too chaotic

As I was shockingly reminded fairly recently, GEMM is no longer with us.

$60 is what I would call "reasonable" given the rarity of the album - only Japan, limited numbers, the general higher cost for Japanese product, etc.

Harry

GEMM went away? I never noticed. :laugh: I was lucky to visit GEMM once a year. After just reading about their recent woes, I'm sort of glad they're gone...

For those of you who don't know this site has been in financial trouble for some time, today the website and database have disappeared.

If you are one of the many sellers owed money by GEMM do not expect to see it, Site owner Roger Raffee had emailed several people stating that he intends to file for bankruptcy and close GEMM down

It is a sad moment, GEMM was the first music marketplace, dating back to 1995, a true pioneer site, under better management it might well have become an internet giant and for a while it did very well peaking around 2000 with a turnover in the millions.

Roger fell out with co-founder and developer Jim Hall, Jim was ousted and no one managed the site's creaking infrastructure, GEMM was simply overtaken by sites like musicstack and Discogs, sales declined rapidly.

GEMM took the full payment from buyers, removed its commission and then remitted to sellers, for over 2 years the delay in paying the sellers has been growing and earlier this year the site ceased taking money, referring buyers to pay the seller directly by Paypal, payments of arrears pretty much stopped.

http://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/689690

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom