Botti - Aranjuez - and other artists doing songs recorded by Alpert

Status
Not open for further replies.

David S

Got the new Chris Botti cd, Impressions, last week. Generally find it favourable (had been disappointed with his last live cd). It includes a recording of Rodrigo's Aranjuez, which, of course, Herb Alpert famously recorded on the Rise album. Personally, I have always considered that the best track on the album and have often quipped that all I ever really wanted to be was a "clapper" on a Herb Alpert recording (next to being a Pip with Gladys Knight lol) - note that the Rise album credits folks as such. Curious as to what everyone thinks of the recording. Of course, I'm used to the "up tempo" Alpert version but the actually Concerto de Aranjuez is, of course, not so (though a beautiful piece of music).

I'm not terribly surprised that Botti would record this tune; it does seem sometimes like he is taking a parallel track to Alpert's recordings or at least sensibilities. When Sting put out La Belle Le Sans Regrets, I often thought that Mr Alpert could have recorded that and was not surprised to see Botti do it on one of his albums. Botti's version reminded me of seeing Alpert in New York City last year at Lincoln Center and hearing a rather pensive version of Rise that made me think at the time that he could reenvision that song much in the way that he did Route 101 on a subsequent album.

So, are there songs that Mr Alpert has recorded that we like by other performers too? Legend of the One Eyed Sailor comes to mind for me (Chuck Mangione recorded it - I think before Alpert did but correct me, please, if I am incorrect). Or can you envision other trumpeters doing a song and if so, which one?

drs

hey meds
I ,too like Chris(his NIGHT SESSIONS cd is outstanding, by the way), but I have been disappointed a little bit by some of his choices as of late. Wasn't impressed by his ITALIA cd, and wasn't all crazy about his live cd(s?) as well. And who can forget his awful and quite frankly hammy stint as the featured musician/bandleader on the Caroline Rhea show?!! He seemed to be trying to aspire to be a star, instead of a true musician. But now that he is not in the media limelight anymore(and also since he and Katie Couric broke up) he maybe back on track again(at least let's hope so!)

Haven't heard this new cd, but what you say has me interested. However, the Concerto was first brought to attention to the American public by MILES, like in Miles Davis. One good thing about Chris:unlike a lot of "smooth jazz" musicians who don't really acknowledge the older jazz musicians, Botti gives homage to the masters that came before him. In his interviews, he has acknowledged Dizzy, Ornette, Charlie Parker, but his idol seems to be Miles. So what Botti is really doing is acknowledging not Herb, but Miles. Herb also acknowledged Miles, but decided to do it the disco way(remember, this is 1979 we're talking about.).

As for Herb recordingsongs by other people:he has recorded so many tunes by other artists that I don't know where to start! Love "The Shadow Of Your Smile","And I Love Her", "Besame Mucho"(from the MAGIC MAN lp),"Wade In The Water", etc, you see what I'm saying? He's done so many covers, but one thing:they all have that Alpert touch, his arrangements make them unique, no matter who originally recorded them.

And yes, you are right: Chuck Mangione did indeed first record "Legend Of The One -Eyed Sailor"(also composed it himself too) and believe it or not,Herb was going thru a depression about his trumpet playing, and when he heard Mangione play LEGEND, it got him back into the swing of playing again! He wrote Mangione a letter thanking him for getting him out of his depression, and then offered him a contract at A&M, and as they say, the rest is history.

Although I have Alpert's Rise album, i never made the connection to the Aranjuz song when I heard (anf fell in love with it) in the movie Brassed Off. I believe Phil Hughes played the flugelhorn solo. That version is one of the most moving pieces I have ever heard!

One "Aranjuez (MonAmor)" that I have is "Concerto De Aranjuez" done by Gabor Szabo on Small World, an album he recorded in Sweden in 1972...

-- Dave

When Sting put out La Belle Le Sans Regrets, I often thought that Mr Alpert could have recorded that and was not surprised to see Botti do it on one of his albums.
drs

Sting and Botti are friends and Botti toured with Sting a few times. They have been guests in each others recorded projects as well. I too, have been a Botti fan for some time and been to his concerts, but my interest waned when he started with the "ballads" instead of playing jazz!

Thanks to all for the comments; appreciated the explanation about Miles Davis and Aranjuez and wound up getting Sketches of Spain...

Miles' version is so different from anything else out there... :agree:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom